Pressure from your partner?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My spouse of 37 years is coming around. To help him understand I collected information regarding FM from Web MD and asked him to read it after we had several discussions during the first year. I think there is a denial period that they have to go through and also grieving. This is not the life we signed up for and it is not an easy one. Over the last year he has watched and gained extreme understanding. He is now cautious for me and asks how I feel. He will often tell me I'm doing to much and he doesn't want me sick. Let them grieve for the loss and tell them when you can't push anymore. They will understand and they will still love you and support you. This Fibro situation is just another issue in walking with your mate.

I definitely get some pressure from my boyfriend. Most of the time he's supportive but sometimes (usually when he's stressed or not feeling well himself) he basically tells me to just get over it, without actually saying so. Sometimes he tells me I'm doing too much and I need to rest and focus on my well being, and he'll offer to do something for me; other times he tells me i should just get out of bed and do stuff more often or that I am being selfish by not meeting his needs. I'm really highly functional, I hold a full time job working with animals, and I go to the gym on my days off, but as weird as it sounds I kind of shoot myself in the foot by doing so. He doesn't always understand that I can do these things that normal people can do, but unlike them I HAVE to rest after. It's really difficult to find a balance between talking about it enough to convey exactly how miserable we feel and complaining incessantly about the same things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back