Does anyone take narcotic pain meds, and what do you think of them

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am on Targin 5 which is 2.5 of OxyContin twice daily and use Endone when I need it. The doctors are not happy me being on these but it is the only thing that gives me any relief but I am careful not to overdo it.

Yes I do. I've taken it 15 years and it has kept the pain down to manageable levels. The only problem is it loses its effectiveness over time and I've had to increase the amount I take.

I've been on Vicodin for about 7 years now. I follow the doctors directions very well and take it exactly as needed. My worry is this, will I have to take it for the rest of my life? It seems like it. I've had fibro for 20 years now and it is worse now than ever. I worry about the pain medication because it seems like the DEA is putting pressure on my doctor to not prescribe opiates to his patients and the rules have been getting tighter and tighter. I've never given my doctor any reason for worrying that I'm abusing the medication - he has said so himself, but I guess they audit the doctors charts to make sure everything is on the up and up. I just think "boy, wouldn't it be easier if I didn't have to take this medication." There is no way I could be functional without the meds.

I don't enjoy it, never drank or did drugs in my early years. This has only been used when the fibro became so bad I couldn't work. I had to retire at 49 years old because of it.

I don't have anyone to talk to about this. It seems like there are a lot of people out in the world with fibro that take pain meds, but no one seems to be talking about it.

Oh, also, I've tried to cut down the medication, 1/4 a pill at a time but the pain gets too bad and then I'm back up to my normal dosage.

BTW: I have chronic migraines and arthritis with neuropathy too which makes the fibro bad and then the fibro makes the migraines bad and it justs goes round and round.

Any discussion of this would be helpful to me. Thanks
I don't normally respond here, but I had to now, because I, too, use 1/4-- occasionally, 1/2 tab. Also, I have migraines, and inflammatory arthritis plus CPPD! But now, I can't find your msg. Sorry! It's one of the lastest ones...Moreboo, I think. Hang in there, Kiddo! : )

I don't normally respond here, but I had to now, because I, too, use 1/4-- occasionally, 1/2 tab. Also, I have migraines, and inflammatory arthritis plus CPPD! But now, I can't find your msg. Sorry! It's one of the lastest ones...Moreboo, I think. Hang in there, Kiddo! : )
Oh, OK, it worked. I was using quick reply, so I wasn't sure... <g>

this message is for moreboo and badpatch I too get headaches, they thought were my sinuses. They x rayed and no infection showed. And determined it was musculoskeletal! I have to take a Flexeril( muscle relaxer) every night and that prevents the headaches. Now sometimes my muscles get so tight around my neck that I may have to increase the Flexeril for a short time. I always take 1 at bedtime. I just thought I might share this with you. I hope you all get some relief sometime!

this message is for moreboo and badpatch I too get headaches, they thought were my sinuses. They x rayed and no infection showed. And determined it was musculoskeletal! I have to take a Flexeril( muscle relaxer) every night and that prevents the headaches. Now sometimes my muscles get so tight around my neck that I may have to increase the Flexeril for a short time. I always take 1 at bedtime. I just thought I might share this with you. I hope you all get some relief sometime!
Hi, Scren. As I mentioned before, I'm not on here that much, so I get behind. Thanks for reply. I tried have tried Flexeril before and it did ZILCH for me. I mean, it absolutely did nothing but knock me out. Glad it works for you, though. And to the person who said the pain meds aren't recommended for fibromyalgia, it depends upon who you talk to (it wasn't you, but I can't find the post, now). Obviously, the multitude of responses on here shows that we are all different, with different chemistries.

I take 2 hydrocodone-acetaminiphins a day. I don't care if people don't like it. It helps me to stay active and go on with my day. Sometimes, if I'm having a horrible flare, they don't help much. But, it's nice to know that I can actually do things now with these pills. If you meet someone who has a problem with you taking pain meds (and you will) tell them to suck it because they can't understand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back