Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
05/2005
Country
US
State
TX
I know people with chronic health conditions can sometimes dwell on the negative, so I wanted to start a thread where we could talk about anything positive that has come out of our conditions/diagnoses.

I used to be a balls to the wall kind of person. I would push through, regardless of how I was feeling. That's how I was raised, and because of it, I denied my disabilities for a long time. Ultimately, I would end up having sort of a physical breakdown eventually, and have to take at least 2-3 days off in bed, resting, just so I could function.

As my conditions have progressed, I've learned to slow down and appreciate the little things. In the past, I often overlooked those little things, because I was always focused on my next goal. I've also learned to pay more attention what I put into my body, both food and medicine, and to recognize the effects those products have on how I feel and function. I think back in my former days, I tended to expect others to do as much as I did, and didn't really take into account age, physical condition, or health. These days, I'm a bit more forgiving of both myself and others.

Have you found any positives that have come out of your Fibromyalgia or other related conditions?

That's a great way to look at it WP. I think I know the feeling. I find myself expressing more gratitude in prayer in the mornings for the smaller things, like waking in a bed with a roof over my head, things like that. I have a rose bush outside the house, and every summer I walk past it almost without notice. Now I literally do stop and smell the roses...maybe it's
just that I have more time to appreciate it. And it's actually improved my relationship with my boyfriend. We were on the verge of breaking up, and although he doesn't know what to do for me, he's been emotionally supportive and gives me a hug when I'm breaking down (sometimes a little too hard, lol). And when I cook, clean, take care of the animals, etc., he is supper appreciative of it. I guess I'm blessed for some silver linings in this cloud.

I think for me it's the same as above, I appreciate the TRUELY small things. I was a bit obsessive before, I wouldn't/couldn't go to bed with so much as a cup in the sink. To think of how much peace of mind and sleep I lost over such stupid stuff. Overall, I think most of us that suffer where people that always pushed through, that might be part of what got us here, I know it's a message I preach now. But I also know 20 years ago I wouldn't have listened, yet another lesson it has taught me. I can think of more but these are my top 3.

Very brave of you to create such a post ;) Some people prefer to complain and see the negative side of everything, my mom is one of those persons, and let me tell you that doing that does make everything harder, it's by seeing things in a positive way how things do get better :) I'm a firm believer that a positive attitude can change everything.

I have to say this illness has shown me who I can count on. It is painful to lose friendships in the short run, but in the long run I would rather spend my time and energy on my true blue friends... and now I know who they are. I consider myself so lucky to have have them!

Y'all have raised great points. I grew up with a mother who was the same, not a speck of dust anywhere, and so I replicated her style. That slowly slipped over the years as the medical conditions progressed, and nowadays I really don't care. I was shocked to hear someone who proclaims to be a staunch Christian (I am a Christian, and am not bashing Christians, just this behavior) talking about how she and her husband went over to a church member's house after service and *gasp* she saw some dust in a corner. I figured, shut up or look to see if the person needs some help. Perhaps they have other priorities. I don't feel comfortable having her in my home now. I do think having chronic pain, Fibromyalgia, or just other limitations gives us a whole new perspective on life, and that can be a blessing.

Yes DK, that is another great point. The people that are still beside us are the greatest blessing of all.

Warrior, brave you are and thank you. I love hearing and being reminded of GOOD!
I hate that your Mom makes you feel like that. Let that go, that is the peace I was talking about.
And not to dip to far into religion but that indeed is why many get turned off by Christians. "judging" others is sinful in itself. Church isn't the Hilton for Saints, it's a hospital for sinners, im a sinner, have been since the day I was born. Lol... I'm afraid to cast stones 'cause it gives my enemy ammunition to throw back at me!

This forum has brought me understanding, information doctors didn't offer and to my delightful surprise some occasional laughs. Cheers to "fibro friends"!

Last edited:
I work at a pool, teaching water fitness classes and reception. Some of my water classes are for seniors in the deep water and a couple of others are in the shallow warm pool with people with joint issues, Parkinsons, MS, etc. People at my work do not know my issues, so neither do the participants in my classes BUT my condition helps me somewhat understand their issues. I am no therapist, just have years of experience and read a lot. I have a good idea when they are in worse pain than normal (ha ! weather changes, I am too!). I understand that on these days they need to move all their joints, but not overdo it....and I get the need to socialize a bit and these classes are part of that. Not saying I'm an expert, but I do understand them better because of my condition.

I also love that I can sometimes get in the water with them or use the hot tub after class because it also gives me a bit of relief !

Hmmm. I'm positive I hurt,
On a happy tone ,I'd say I'm kinder to myself.and to other ppl who hurt.i can relate to older ppl as I seem to have they pain and stiffness.
The power of speech has given us a tool we use a lot .the power to moan .its true we wine a lot. But we find each other don't we, we suffer together. We read a new post while we sit in pain and smile at the words like we wrote them our selfs .we understand the nights of no sleep. The fear of not understand what the dr just told us we have.
We tape and join sites and hunt for others . And here we are from every part of the planet .all come together in hope.
Fibro has given me a family I didn't no I had . Friends who don't laugh at me who laugh with me.and always a place I can moan and moan and moan without ever being told to shut up and snap out of it. Fibro give me everyone here and I wouldn't trade that for anything x

I second all you say Forgetmenot...with no energy to type it all in slightly different words...and i know you will all understand that too!

Well done to you Northernelf...you are helping others despite your condition and getting some social contact too...i am full of admiration.

Last edited:
I too was always pushing myself. I was a single mom, worked several jobs and even home-schooled my two sons. I was always pushing pushing pushing .....and ignoring when I needed rest, better nutrition, had pain, etc. I put my sons ahead of myself for many years. It seems the moment I slowed down, the fibromyalgia really settled in with a vengeance. At first I was quite angry and depressed. And I had a lot of denial about the fibromyalgia. I thought to myself, "Was this the reward I got for working so hard all those years?" and "Why me?"

In time I realized how much sleep I needed and how exhausted I was. Now I let myself rest. A LOT. I sleep 12 hours a night a few times a week now. I lie around on the couch a lot too. And I let my head worry less about everyone else and more about ME. This is the first time in my entire life that I am paying really good attention to me! I am also saying NO to many things so I do not over tax myself.

One of the biggest benefits I have gotten from fibromyalgia is I have been learning to use my mind more, and my body less. Now I think first, jump second. Now I think first, react second. Before, I was the exact opposite and I suffered from my impulsivity at times. I almost would describe my former self as having had ADHD.

My current self is more calm and more focused and I don't waste my energy moving around if I do not have to. I am also so much more patient! The benefits to my work and home life have been pretty great because of this!

I cared way to much about being validated. Now ......this may sound harsh, but I could care less about other people's opinion. Concerning my health. That's it in a nutshell.

I have such confidence in myself now. It took so long(20 yrs) to get someone to even diagnose me. No one on my side, I eventually learned I was the only person I needed to believe me. Now, if someone doesn't get it, I just move on, it doesn't affect me. If a doctor isn't willing or just doesn't have enough training to understand how to help me, I find another one. U have to fight for yourself, trust yourself, believe in yourself. Sometimes you are the only one who will be your champion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back