Not open for further replies.

thedaveman000

Diagnosis
01/2014
Country
US
State
UT
Hi all. I'm new to this forum but was just diagnosed with Fibromyalgia by my neurologist today. She is also starting me on Cymbalta for pain management but I was wondering if anyone here has tried that and if it helped or not. Does the pain come and go even being on this med? It seems like the pain is getting greater and greater as each week passes by. Anyway any advice on this or anything else with Fibro would be very much appreciated.

David

Hi Dave. I take Cymbalta and it has decreased the level of my all-the-time pain back to bearable...or where it was before it spiraled out of control and I was finally diagnosed. I'll take that any day. Since I also have recurrent depression, it made sense for me to try a medication that would potentially work for both. So far, so good. And no big side effects. Having said that, any medication will work for some and not others. I also exercise gently, take a bunch of vitamin supplements and coQ10. And I have tramadol/ Tylenol in my back pocket for really bad days.
Pat

Hi David! Sorry to hear about your diagnosis, is never nice to be diagnosed with something like this. I've learnt most medications have a different effect on people; it can help some people to be pain-free most of the time, but for others it doesn't do much. I'm afraid you will have to test it and see how it works for you, you might need to try with other meds as well, so don't lose hope and don't be afraid to talk about your doubts with your neurologist. You need to find what works for YOU, not for the others.

Best of luck, David!

David,
Welcome to the forum. I can not give you advice about that medication but I can see some of our other members have offered their opinions already. Please take time to read around the forum in the pain management sections and even the alternative methods and I am sure you will find some new ideas that might help you deal with symptoms of fibro.

The forum lets you ask questions on different topics, as well as, give your opinion on other members posts. You can moan and groan, rant or rave about how fibro is affecting your life. There are many off-topic questions and some fun posts to add your thoughts too, as well as, the chance to welcome in new members and make some new friends.

See you around the forum. :)

I've learnt most medications have a different effect on people; it can help some people to be pain-free most of the time, but for others it doesn't do much. I'm afraid you will have to test it and see how it works for you.

Welcome to the forum, David! When it comes to medications, I'll have to agree with what Trellum said here. I've seen it happen often... that what seems like a "wonder drug" for one person doesn't even touch the pain of someone else, so they need to look for an alternative.

Hi David,

I am also recently diagnosed and just started my Cymbalta (30 mg) today, coming off of Effexor. I haven't felt depression since, wow, the 1990's, but ever since I started feeling the pain, I lost my job due to the fact that I was medicated all the time, those two combined and I got depressed all right. I've tried Paxil, then Effexor, and now Cymbalta. I am hoping that it will work for my horrible pain as well as my depression/anxiety/OCD. I am also hoping that the withdrawal from the Effexor (150 mg) will be minimal since I am starting a new SSRI.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back