Does fibro make you feel depressed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's not a silly thing to say at all - any long term illness could trigger depression, especially one that can be as confusing as fibromyalgia, because even the health professionals that you deal with might not be any the wiser than you about it! But you should keep coming back on here to talk about the way that you're feeling about things, as you should find that you can get a lot of help and advice from people who have been in a similar situation as you. Also keep in touch with your doctor and make sure that you're trying everything that you can with regards to pain relief, as you might find it helpful to try different things, as not everyone's condition can or should be treated in the same way.

Hi Gemma, you are right! I think most people suffering from this feel depressed or at least feel down from time to time. I was super depressed some months ago, a full blown depression, everything seemed so grim, but fortunately things are much better now. I'm no longer feeling depressed :) And thanks, I will surely do that, talking about our feelings is so important, I have come to realize that recently!

Honestly i feel it is very normal for anyone suffering from the ailment to feel depressed on some occasions. And so anyone feeling this symptoms should not feel bad in any way as it does not necessarily mean that the individual is experiencing any features that are extraordinary.

I get brought down by the depression demons sometimes. The problem about depression is then everyone thinks your just depressed and all the pain is in your head. I have had I know I'm depressed, since depression runs in my family , but there is more to it then that with family, and doctors. It kind of frustrates things.

That depends how you define depression. It makes virtually everyone feel tired, and that is very testing. We not not all be 'sad' but certainly drained physically and mentally.

Yeah, some of my friends are so mentally exhausted (as well as physically) to even feel sad! Fortunately that's not my case and I truly hope it continues that way. I'm no longer sad or depressed, but some days I might feel a bit down. Everything will be good as long as I don't receive bad news from my doctor...

I get brought down by the depression demons sometimes. The problem about depression is then everyone thinks your just depressed and all the pain is in your head. I have had I know I'm depressed, since depression runs in my family , but there is more to it then that with family, and doctors. It kind of frustrates things.

I know what you mean! I hate it when the stupid doctors say you are in pain because you are depressed or your mood is affecting your body and so on. When I was shedding like crazy all those stupid doctors said it was all in my head! But you know what? When doctors tell you that kind of things is because they have no idea what the heck is wrong! Fortunately I found a good doctor... who DID solve my problem.

Honestly i feel it is very normal for anyone suffering from the ailment to feel depressed on some occasions. And so anyone feeling this symptoms should not feel bad in any way as it does not necessarily mean that the individual is experiencing any features that are extraordinary.

Well, yeah! No one should feel bad or guilty over feeling this way. Fibro or not. But yeah, it is super hard not to feel down sometimes! Sometimes it is super hard to avoid that! I'm no longer dealing with depression, but there are days I do feel rather anxious, scared or plain down. It's normal to feel sad under this circumstance, but what changes everything is how you learn to deal with it.

Last edited:
feeling depressed because of the ailment should not make one to feel bad in any way as a matter of fact it is expected so don't take it out on yourself or begin to feel that there is something wrong with you alone just know that it is normal to experience this

Yes it does make you feel depressed, but you have to try and fight it, but if it is not reducing, then you just have to get on anti depressants, because it can get pretty bad.

Hi: This is my first time to post anything. I just found the Group yesterday. I've had fibro for 10 years now. Had to retire early because of it. Recently I have been feeling really depressed and want to find a psychiatrist to go over my meds and maybe make some adjustments. Does anyone have an idea of how to find a good psychiatrist in the Long Beach, CA. area? I've been on cymbalta for 10 years and it sure isn't helping any longer. Thanks for any help you can give me and I'm very glad to have found all of you. Shookie

i take Cymbalta which helps with the depression and helps with the pain. It's the one they advertise as being "For the pain of depression." While I've always struggled with depression, I did not have any pain with it until the firbomyalgia came along. Some days I'm not sure if it helps either, other days I do pretty well.

Hi there! Thanks a lot for replying and sharing a bit of your story (I read your other post). I'm not taking any kind of medication for my depression, which some days is good and others... well, I'm glad to still have my mom around to help me cope with it! It's amazing what some sweet and gentle word can do for you! Just don't give up! There ill always be good and bad days... fibro or not! Keep up the great work and try to find a support group where you live, human interaction with others who suffer from fibro or depression can do wonders!

Hi: This is my first time to post anything. I just found the Group yesterday. I've had fibro for 10 years now. Had to retire early because of it. Recently I have been feeling really depressed and want to find a psychiatrist to go over my meds and maybe make some adjustments. Does anyone have an idea of how to find a good psychiatrist in the Long Beach, CA. area? I've been on cymbalta for 10 years and it sure isn't helping any longer. Thanks for any help you can give me and I'm very glad to have found all of you. Shookie

Hi Shookie! You should really create a post and ask for this info there, that way more people can see and a lot more people will surely answer. I hope you find the info you are looking for! There are lot good medications to treat depression, but be careful with amitrptyline, that thing made me gain more than 50 lbs in just 2 years!

Fortunately I didn't have such a hard time dropping the weight (I wasn't insulin resistant back then). So whatever you are given... DO SEARCH the side effects online, sometimes the meds make things worse! If possible I recommend you to see a therapist instead, all pills do is mask your symptoms. Best of luck!

Yes it does make you feel depressed, but you have to try and fight it, but if it is not reducing, then you just have to get on anti depressants, because it can get pretty bad.

You are right, it can get pretty bad, but it's a mistake to think pills are the solution; they only mask the symptoms. But when things are very bad they can help a lot... to save your life! I truly recommend taking therapy, it helped me more than the pills (pills cause a lot side effects, it seems most anti-depressants do).

It's recommended to treat depression from the inside... go therapy, go out, make new friends, build a strong support circle, go to a support group, spend time with the family, find a hobby, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back