Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
04/2016
Country
US
State
IN
I finally got into the Integrative Medicine practice yesterday. It was a very long, 2-hour appointment, but she covered every little nook and cranny of my health. She told me that all my conditions - fibro, IBS, GERD, rosacea - are all because of inflammation in my body. She wants me to go on a very strict, 8-week elimination diet from foods that cause inflammation. So I won't be able to have sugar, sugar substitutes, gluten, dairy, eggs, soy, corn, or peanuts.

She believes that I have leaky gut syndrome and metabolic syndrome. She feels that with diet and adding more supplements in that I will be able to get control over my symptoms and significantly improve my quality of life. She herself has fibro and IBS and has done quite well with this plan. She also feels that I will eventually be able to come off of my prescription meds for these conditions.

I know that everyone reacts differently, but it's worth a shot. The only side effect I can see is that I'll be eating healthy and losing weight which I desperately need to do.

Hey Silverbelle, so happy for you! I've wanted to do integrative medicine so bad...there is a well known naturopath where i am in San Diego, but he no longer has a practice (I probably couldn't afford long-term care, but I would have at least liked to have a consult).

If you wouldn't mind sharing, did she recommend foods that you SHOULD eat, or put you on a special diet? Supplements?

I've mentioned a few times (sorry for being a broken record folks) that I used ACV with water and walnuts when I had GERD symptoms with what felt like an ulcer--haven't had it since, other than sometimes I get a "clogged drain" feeling in the esophagus, but no pain.

I hope this improves your condition and do share with us results!

Ha, OK, I may try it for a few days, but it takes away a few things I like, like tofu, boiled egss, dairy.

Yeah, heard the mag oxide isn't as good, I'll probably switch at some point.

Excellent you have such good coverage

I'll be starting the first week in June and I have to do it at least 8 weeks :neutral: Then we'll start slowly reintroducing food groups to see how my body reacts. I'm definitely going to miss my eggs and dairy!

Let me know if you need a diet buddy if you decide to follow this. I'd be more than happy to help :)

I just glanced over the cookbook; one thing I would think about omitting is the eggplant though. The majority of the population has been ex-
posed to some type of herpes virus (chicken pox, cold sores, EBV/CMV); even some forms of rosacea may be related to herpes zoster. Eggplant is one of the foods that is considered a trigger for herpes due to the arginine amount. Luckily the diet includes animal meats, which contain high amounts of lysine, but with herpes, you want to keep the arginine to a minimum; just something you would want to mention to your ND...maybe they'll say different.

I'll think about it this week; if I think it's feasible for me to do it I will PM you definitely! Thanks!

Thanks for that info! I didn't know about the eggplant, but I don't really like it, so I wasn't planning on eating it anyways lol

Thanks for your comments. I have been going to a Naturopath also. She has also prescribed a similar diet. I have felt much better. I still have flair ups. I have cheated the diet however also. It takes a lot of planning and just saying no when people offer the wrong foods. She has me on many supplements. Probiotics etc.. I will post what she is giving me later. I am very interested what helps anyone. My naturopaths office is a wide open place and all the patients discus what has helped them. Tumeric was a big help to many. Curcumin I think is in it or vice versa. She has me taking that. She says I have fungus build up in body. Thanks again for your post.

cactusron - I have heard of people using tumeric as an anti-inflammatory. How do you use it?

Turmeric is taken orally in pill/capsule form. I cannot take it as it burns my stomach. However I can take curcumin and it works quite well.

I just wanted to throw in if you drink coffee/tea. (Supposedly high quality organic coffee is ok and not all types of tea)you may want to cut that out of your diet as it is know to cause inflammation. I have found for me it's a HUGE Trigger, but everyone is different and the first few days off of it is brutal! But well worth it.
Let us know of your progress.

This is one thread I'll definitely be following. I've heard of the elimination diet, and could probably benefit from it. I'll have to take a look at the diet and see what it encompasses. I'm interested to hear how it goes for you. I know I've seen a difference in my symptoms in the past by changing how I eat, but that was relating to hypoglycemia, which I no longer have. Decreased inflammation would definitely be a blessing. I'll have to look at the supplements mentioned, and I hope others post here of their experiences, as well.

@Eyesup - I don't drink much coffee, but do like herbal tea. I think I can have green tea. Has to be decaf though as I am super sensitive to caffeine.

I've spent the weekend online searching for recipes, creating the first weeks menu, and a grocery list for that menu. It's been a little overwhelming for sure. I didn't realize how much my food intake consisted of all the foods that I have to eliminate :neutral:

I'm supposed to walk 10 minutes every day. She wants me to start off very mild, like a slow stroll and work my way up to a moderate pace eventually. I was able to do 15 minutes today :razz:

Elimination diet is excellent. It's a lot of work, but the results do pay off because it allow us to spot what is wrong.

This sounds great! I'm very happy for you, it sounds like you are very motivated to follow this diet, please let us know how things go for you :) I'd love to hear what results you get. I need to start a diet, not a strict as this one, but quite similar :) I also hope to lose some weight, because I also need it desperately. I am convinced that by avoiding processed foods I will be able to improve my health greatly, and yes, I do beleive that we are what we eat D: And right now I am nothing but processed desserts D: :(

Wow, I know it probably sounds overwhelming right now. But maybe that's a good sign if your seeing a lot of trigger food that you didn't even realize how much you where consuming. I'm sure as prepared as you sound it's going to be a lot smoother then you think. I'm excited to hear how it goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back