DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
10/2015
Country
US
State
TX
Hello everyone,
I am completely new to all of this (fibromyalgia). I have some questions and hopefully you all can help me. I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia 2 weeks ago by my pain management DR.

He put me on Gabapentin 600mg / 3 times a day. It seems to "help" but does not completely take away all of my muscle and joint pain. I have been seeing my pain management DR. for about a year now for a bulging disc in my neck. He has given me 4 epidural steroid injections in my neck for that. It is all better now.

I was on hydrocodone 10mg / 4 times a day in the beginning for my neck pain. It was pretty severe pain. Then we went down on the dosage as my neck got better. I'm also on Flexeril.

My psychiatrist has me on Pristiq, Valium, Amitriptyline (for sleep). I've been on these meds for about 7 years, prior to the neck problem and fibromyalgia. I'm also on Topamax for migraine headaches. I have depression and anxiety also.

My pain management DR. has me down to 7.5mg / 2 times a day of hydrocodone. This is because we have been "weaning" me off of it due to my neck getting better. This was also at my request. I wanted to "get off" the narcotics.

Now, I'm having second thoughts. My body is in constant pain from the fibromyalgia. The Gabapentin helps but not enough. I have been having these terrible symptoms for about 2 years prior but thought they were caused by being old and fat. I am 47 and have gained 75lbs. in the last 2 years.

So........should I ask my pain mgmt. DR. for an increase in the hydrocodone? I'm scared of what he will say and that he will think I am a "drug seeker". I've also had to quit my job due to this, it was just too physically demanding.

Thank you for any replies,
Maddy

Hi Maddy ...welcome. I would talk your whole situation over with this doctor. I can't imagine he will think you are a drug seeker. You are in pain and have had to give up your job so clearly a full discussion about the benefits and any disadvantages of this drug should be had to make your quality of life as good as possible.

I have no experience of hydrocodone...maybe it has a different name in the UK. I take co codamol 30/500 which is a mild opiod based pain killer. It doesn't take pain away but sometimes reduces it enough to bear.

Good Luck you will get advice and support on this site from lots of nice people.

hello Maddy,

see my post "starting a daily log book and why it helps. start it today.

The doctor is taking you off the hydrocodone because you are getting the epidural steroid injections.
the doctor is thinking that you dont need it with the injections. the doctor thinks the injection is working
to stop your pain.

proving that its not, to the doctor will be hard to do. the log book will get you what you need to do this.

Ask him. Take into consideration you weight gain and the amount OF RX YOU NEED.

Thank all of you for your replies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back