Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
08/2013
Country
US
State
ME
My wonderful new doc has been great working with me to find new tools to dampen the fibro fire. In addition to the elimination diet (which has been eye-opening), she had me begin taking magnesium malate a month ago as a trial to see if it would work for me. I am happy to report that I have been able to cut my Tramadol in half, have less stiffness and greater stamina. I actually walked a mile two days ago, pushing my granddaughter in a jogging stroller for some added support. It was at least four years ago that I was able to walk a mile (actually climbed mountains). Even if this is as good as it gets, I am thrilled to be able to get this amount of exercise again. I had to lay down afterwards but no major flare the following day.

As my doc says, we are all individuals, so this will not work for everyone. But it's worth a try. You have to start slowly at 2 tabs per day and work up to 6 as the malate or malic acid can cause diarrhea. The first time I increased to six was a yikes, but now I take 2 tabs each meal for a total 2500 mg magnesium and 1650 malic acid daily.

The other change was increasing my B12 injections back to 2x monthly. (I don't absorb B12.) When I had my B12 tested, I was at the low end of "normal." Now I am back at the high end and can feel the difference. Her recommendation noted that many Fibro/CFS folks can benefit from increased B12.

So, I'm posting this in case any of you want to try these supplements. Note: if you add B12, get a liquid supplement as it is better absorbed than tablets. I hope someone else gets some benefit.

Enjoy your evening.

Thanks for sharing! I'm really happy you're improving!

I drink a teaspoon of magnesium twice a day in my protein shakes that my naturopath has me drinking, and I take 4 B Complex capsules a day. Whenever I go to his office for treatments he gives me an IV of vitamin Bs and Cs. I have also noticed a big difference with these supplements, more so the magnesium. If I go a day without the protein shake I do feel more stiff and my muscles feel more lethargic. Now, that said, I put several different types of powders in the protein shake. Most of them are for digestive issues, but it's entirely possible that I'm getting more help from one of the other powders. But I know the magnesium is supposed to help my joints and muscles, so I assume it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back