Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
NJ
Having a major flare up. Whole right side hurts, arm, fingers, legs. However my chest really hurts too. Does anyone else get chest pain?

Hi LauraA....yes i get chest pain rib pain and even my boobs. gentle hugs to you

I get chest pain near my sternum because my shoulder muscles are so tight, my posterior ribs are pulled out of place and need stretching to pop them back in.

I get chest pain and upper back pain often. I am always concerned that it is my heart. I have had cardiac tests and all have been fine. The trouble is the pain comes back and is different at times so I am always afraid that I will overlook something. Having fibro is so tricky. I try not to be a hypochondriac. So when I am in pain, I chalk it up to fibro. Last year I ignored pain in my side because I had had pain there before. Unfortunately, my appendix had burst. I was lucky that I finally decided to go to the hospital when I did. How do others deal with the worry that something worse may be going on. I feel as if I have had so many tests. I am in debt due to medical bills. My doctor is very warm and takes a lot of time trying to put me at ease but she is not an expert in fibro. I would really like to find a doctor like her but who is an expert in fibro. Anyone have suggestions for doctors in NJ? Tomorrow I am trying a massage therapist...hoping it helps with the chest and upper back pain.

I get chest pain right between my boobs and sometimes the bottom of my rib cage and clavicles. I have one big soft chair that doesn't have good support. If I sit in it too long, my chest aches from my shoulders curving in. Moving and stretching frequently or just avoiding that chair seems to help. Once that pain hits, it's hard to even get up out of that chair. I know, I know, throw the damn thing out!

I am in NJ also. Had a great Dr but he recently left the practice so searching for new Rheumatologist. Started acupuncture when my back was really bothering me and that seemed to help a bit.

Hey Willow!
10 yrs ago I was jumping on a trampoline with a friend, we laughed Untell I lan ded on my right side/BOOB" TURNS OUT I BROOSED MY RIB, YEP IT CAN FEEL LIKE THE BOOB
On ocasion I have had sharp pain. On or in the lowest part of my right side, my Dr. Said it was my bottom floating rib. WHAT! I was imbarrest, missed that one in health.

Hi Laura,
I have had chest pain that felt like a vise squeezing all the way around my torso but the worst pain was around my sternum. It was difficult to breathe deeply and I didn't know what it was. I thought maybe it was just really bad indigestion. The chest pains would come and go over a period of a few days and then they totally went away. About a week later I guess, I got them again but again went away after a few days. They were never constant and only lasted maybe a minute or two. I haven't had any for a couple of weeks now.

I think there is a pattern with me and my symptoms/ flare ups. I have about 2 good days/week where the pain anywhere in my body is tolerable.
Then BOOM! A flare hits me and its anybody's guess which symptom(s) I will show. I just know if they are not the old ones, it'll be something new like the chest pains.

I have a recently new symptom. I get swellings in different body parts. One of them was a rib. It was sore for about 5 days. Then the swelling moved to a different body part.

This is such a weird disease! Definitely get a rheumatologist if you don't already have one and let them know about your chest pains. Meanwhile, while waiting to get in to see them, document everything.

Best of luck!

This sounds like costocondritis as your Dr about see if that's what it is I was in my drs twice and er twice in 2 weeks cause I thought I was having a stroke none of the drs knew what it was the last time I was at the er and the discharge paper said that it could be caused by numerous things and the last one was fibro which I was already diagnosed for a yr so I researched myself found that and talk to my Dr she felt around my chest and said that was exactly what it was.... Sucks when u have to be your own Dr :(

Last edited:
Yep, I get chest and breast pain too. I went to the er the first time (before I was diagnosed with fibro but after my symptoms had started). It went away, but that was shortly before the rest of my symptoms started. For the last 3 months I've been having it again daily. I saw my doc 2 days ago who said it was my fibro.

Hi Broken,
When my first child was very young, I didn't agree with the doctor's decision or something to that effect. I was nervous about telling him this. But after I talked and talked and cried with my cousin, she said to me to remember that a doctor PRACTICES medicine. They're human and therefore cannot always be right about everything.
On that note, I have been told that you need to be careful not to diagnose yourself. That instead, present your observations of your illness (es) to your Rheumatologist and also share your resesrch, just as you did. The doctor AND the patient are experts in their own right. The doc is the academic (hopefully with lots of experience) the patient is a living example. I believe that a well informed individual will have more pertinent questions and documentation that will help you and your doctor (s). :)
Personally, I feel everyone is different, despite all of our disease commonalities. You have to do what is right for you and find a rheumatologist who will work with you.
Sorry for rambling on. :p

Last edited:
My grandmother, who also had fibromyalgia, would get severe chest/sternum pains. Since she had a history of heart issues as well she always had to go to the ER to be checked out and find out if it was her heart or the fibromyalgia.

I agree that it sounds like costochondritis, which I think we would be more susceptible to developing.

I get occasional pain across my chest, more often it is my upper ribs, alongside my breasts - so painful that a touch could make me cry.

Me too - sternum, ribs and breasts. Been to the ER cause I though it might be heart, but that all checks out. Such a confusing disease.

Hi! I am new to this forum and glad it is here. Newly diagnosed. This thread is interesting because I have had sharp stabbing pains in my breast and some times in armpit. My gyno checked it out and mammos were clear thank goodness but I never did figure it out. Are you saying this is probably a fibro thing? Hum.. I been wondering about this for a while. I get chest pains and upper back. I have gerd too so assumed it was that. This fibro is confusing I agree!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back