Reason
Undiagnosed
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
VA
Every night I am awakened several times by a severe burning pain that sweeps across my chest for just a few seconds. I wake up seconds before it happens. Usually but not always it's followed by a brief cold sweat. Anyone else ever experience this? Ribcage is also very sensitive to any pressure. Even wearing a bra is very uncomfortable and even hurts without one on too. Heart has been determined ok.

I have severe burning pain in much of my body most of the time including my rib/chest area. it starts with a vibrating sensation then burns then severe crippling rigidity and pain that stays indefinitely.

Has your doctor mentioned costrochondritis? From the Mayo Clinic: "Costochondritis (kos-toe-kon-DRY-tis) is an inflammation of the cartilage that connects a rib to the breastbone (sternum). Pain caused by costochondritis might mimic that of a heart attack or other heart conditions.

Costochondritis is sometimes known as chest wall pain, costosternal syndrome or costosternal chondrodynia. Sometimes, swelling accompanies the pain (Tietze syndrome)." Costochondritis - Mayo Clinic I was diagnosed with it years ago, and it arises now and then. I have many connective tissue diagnoses, and I believe it relates to the Fibromyalgia, although those diagnoses pre-dated the diagnosis of Fibromyalgia.

That pain could also be GERD... I had severe pain in that area last year and it turned out to be GERD (and possibly a rolling hiatus hernia). It was the most scary and painful experience so far, I thought I'd die! It lasted a whole year! The pain sometimes came all of a sudden, sometimes it did only at night, sometimes it was the whole day... you get the idea.

So yeah, try to get a second or even a third opinion.

Yes, @Trellum has a good point. I also have GERD, and am so used to it that didn't even occur to me. I think many of us tend to have multiple co-occurring conditions, and sometimes it's difficult to discern which disorder is causing which symptoms, as well as when something new arises, because we sometimes tend to associate it (as I did with my recent systemic infection) with an exacerbation of pre-existing conditions. I hope you post and let us know what it was determined to be, I'm interested to hear.

Exactly, WarriorPrinces :) I also have several co-occurring health issues, and sometimes it's so hard to point what is causing what and such. It's so hard, things have gotten even more complicated with my new diagnosis. And OP... GERD is awful! The pain knows no rules or boundaries when it comes to GERD, it can manifest as mildly or as strongly as it can be, at any time of the day... any length of time. So check that option out, I mean, mine manifested as chest pain, but one day it got so bad that I had trouble swallowing and every little thing I ate hurt so bad.

Unfortunately chest pain is quite common with fibromyalgia :( Like an above poster said, I would investigate the possibility of costochondritis or GERD (or just general heartburn or indigestion). It's hard to believe that something like indigestion or heartburn could cause such pain, but it definitely can. It can make people feel like they're about to have a heart attack.

My mil has fibro and has been suffering chest pains as one of her first symptoms. She's had tests to check her heart, and fortunately there is nothing wrong with it.

Costochondritis definitely causes the sensitive ribcage issues. Have you tried getting up and moving around whilst the pain is there to see if movement eases it, or makes it worse? I know you said it's only for a few seconds, but perhaps if it lasts longer at all, you can test that out. Exercise and movement often increases the pain of costochondritis.

Please make sure to see your doctor and tell him/her all about it, just to rule out anything more serious.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back