Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
04/2006
Country
UK
State
Wiltshire
Obviously a huge problem with fibro, chronic fatigue etc is finding pass times that are enjoyable but not overwhelming. I have enjoyed (and occasionally still do but not regularly) horse riding and fishing but found problems with both. Then last year I started getting into photography starting with a bridge camera and then moving to a DSLR.

Apart from the obvious problem of cost - cameras and lenses are not cheap - I have found some surprising benefits. Having the camera has acted as a massive encouragement to get out and go places - or go just a little further. I find when concentrating on getting a shot it distracts from pain and tiredness and I do more than I might otherwise but only very gradually and it has built up my fitness or rather tolerance. It is something I can be engaged with even when very restricted and staying in bed because of processing and adjusting the photographs (something definitely missing from fishing and riding) which really helps with boredom. I get a real incredible sense of achievement when I get a good shot - a real high unmatched by drugs. Finally - and significant if not the most important - it offers a possibility of income as I have some of my best shots for sale on a micro stock site.

I have spoken to others who have found photography therapeutic and am a member of a private group of people with chronic health problems who use photography and wondered if anyone on here also got their kicks though the camera or would be interested in taking it up.

I have never considered photography to be a source of pain relief, however after reading your post I can understand that if you are engrossed in perfecting your picture,it would certainly preoccupy your mind, making you forget the pain.

sorry I forgot to mention, my son has just taken up photography as a hobby, and it has not been too expensive, as he has purchased all the equipment required second hand, opposed to new, saving him a lot of money. Wishing you lots of success in selling your pictures.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back