Reason
Undiagnosed
Diagnosis
04/2017
Country
US
State
Nebraska
I have been having episodes of mild pain and fatigue for a couple of years now. Went to a rhuematologist and he diagnosed me with mild Fibromyalgia last month. Since I am already on two meds that can help pain he said to exercise more. I am a bit confused since I don't have a lot of pain and complained more about the fatigue. That and it comes and goes. I can be free of bad symptoms for weeks. Just a little pain and stiffness in the morning. Currently waking up once or twice a night in pain. The last three nights and having fatigue during the day. But still not convinced I have fibromyalgia. Since I can deal with it just fine. Maybe I am in denial but I know many people have more pain then me. Perhaps I think myself as unworthy. Thought I come here and talk to others with fibromyalgia to see if anyone can relate.

I can relate with 'not wanting to believe' in a diagnosis of fibro. I was like that the first time a doctor told me that is what I was suffering from, and gave me a long list of meds/vitamins and physical therapy sessions I would have to take for the rest of my life. I also had this idea of 'come on, it is not that bad'. I suppose I could especially not get my head around the fact that this was 'for the rest of my life'.

But then sadly for me, I started feeling more and more fatigued and started having extreme pain in areas I never had pain in before. It started seriously affecting my work life, my personal life....add to that my mental illness problems, 16 months after that first diagnosis, I was at home, very sick, very depressed, and unemployed (got fired when I could not perform well, called in sick too often - they can do that where I live). Then I found a doctor who explained chronic illness better to me - the possible trauma's, my 'normal' not being the 'normal of a healthy person', how to accept my new limits, my new realities etc.

So whether you have fibro or any other chronic illness, see this diagnosis as a wake up call. That things in your life may change - but not necessarily in the bad sense. It gives us a great chance to get to know ourselves, what we find important in life, the real friends in our life, whether our job/education is right for us etc. And often to take a step back, to say 'no', and to put ourselves first. Look real well after yourself - not only physically, but also mentally. This will help keep your complaints to a minimum.

And maybe try different things. I, for example, found out that mindfulness meditation and basic yoga moves help me a lot. And simple breathing exercises. I would never have discovered those without my diagnosis. Trying to stay positive.....

I can def relate and have been through the same thing. I felt like I was just over exerting myself and needed to just deal with it or come to grips with the fact that I'm aging and can't do as much as I used to do. After about a year now I'm beginning to admit that this is real and I do have a disease that is causing this pain and fatigue. You have good days and feel better or find something in your diet or lifestyle that makes you feel better and then you question things again. Accepting that I have this is actually helping me cope better because I now admit I have something that I need to cope with. My Dr is awesome and is helping me find wys to cope. Thatnks for sharing. This is what I need--people who can relate.

I recall going to bed one night and being in pain. I couldnt even put on my soft flannel jammies without cringing. I thought I was going bat #*$% crazy. I am thinking this cant be real, it must be all in my head. Perhaps I can just think it away, or put it aside and it will go away; mind over matter. And sure I am tired, isnt everybody?

Well after 2 visits to doctors, one to confirm what the first suspected. The pain was far from fake, and this was more than tired, it was fatigue. I wasnt a happy camper, but it was the new reality.

I hope you get better soon and your symptoms dont worsen. Please dont push yourself as you may pay for it later with more pain and fatigue.

Wish you all the best

believe me, VtC, they can fire you anywhere you live if you call in sick too much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back