Status
Not open for further replies.
The pay you get is based on your work history and what you received during your last five years of working. I did receive the back pay and my lawyers fee came out of that. It makes you feel safe for a few years but there are always bills to pay that eat into those savings. My monthly amount is very small and not enough to live on. But having it is a start and my family helps me with the rest needed to pay monthly bills.

My question is to those living in the states. Are any of you working, but still receiving your SSD payments. Can anyone here tell me in detail how this works so I could maybe work a bit but not lose my disability payments?

I worry they will determine I don't need it and then I will be homeless and or have to live in a high-rise somewhere with bad company in the buildings. Any thoughts on this would be great.

It took me five years to get my disability in Florida. I appealed over and over, and filled out the paperwork countless times. If you can hang in there through all the rejections and paperwork, it can be a big help when you can not work enough to support yourself. :)

Well, luckily I have not had to go on SSI or disability but, my heart goes out to you and everyone else who has. I know people who are still fighting for it. It is a very long process. I would advise getting a lawyer now just to be ahead of the gang.

1Sweed, I think you can earn a small living without your social security being impacted. I'd suggest you look it up in the Social Security website. I recall seeing something, but don't want to quote anything in case I misread it.

terbaer,
I have been to the website and read it over several times and read about the ticket to work program, but I just want to do small jobs in our town or online. I was hoping to find someone who has gone through that process and can explain the details so I can understand it more clearly. It is confusing the way it tells about it all on the website. Any help would be great! :)

Ask a social security attorney. They can tell you. When I inquired last week, the gal told me something like less than $1k. For me she said i could be collecting sick, annual or shared leave, but I couldn't have more than $1k or something otherwise they would not consider me disabled. I asked if I could have an income and she said the number again. Like I said, don't quote me, but there is an amount. You can do minor amounts of work and legitimately be paid. I believe if you contacted a social security attorney near you, they could give you some, likely, free advice on it. If you find out, let us know. Good luck!

Me too, just got my rejection lefter stating "your illness does not fit our guidelines".... I am using a disability advocate, we are going to appeal. Very disappointed, but expected it.
Good luck to all of us!

I talked to this guy this weekend who just got his approval letter to get benefits. This is what he told me...

He spent 3 years trying for disability because of his back problem, chronic pain, and arthritis. He got denied constantly. So he was down and out and went to get counseling, they diagnosed him with depression. I mean who wouldn't be if you could not provide for your family for 3 years? So then he said he checked into a mental health facility for ten days, and then they sent him back home with meds. He went to the weekly sessions for six months and then reapplied for his benefits and was approved because he now had a diagnosis of a mental condition.

This is not the first person I have heard of that has done this. It seems you can get benefits faster with a mental health diagnosis. Sad but true.

I was turned down last time because, as they noted on my decision paperwork "claimant admits to feeding her dog".

Apparently, feeding my dog meant I wasn't disabled. I haven't quite figured out the logic of that, but maybe it'll come to me, eventually.

:p

Social security disability is the only option many of us have because, of this disease that has impacted many of our live. And, that is such a taak in its self that it can shake us to our core. It can make us even more depressed than we were before we started the application process to get our benefits.

Miip, that is ghastly insane! Feeding the dog takes less effort and work than making yourself and feeding yourself a meal. I suppose the person working your case did not consider that did they? I hope mine does not come back with a comment like that, I did admit to putting food in my birds bowl and water. INSANE! I surely hope the person who was working your case and decided to deny you never is in the same position you are, they would not like being told they do not qualify because they can feed the darn dog. Uggg

alexisfinch24, I agree being disabled and in pain can and will make a person more depressed than they were before they came to the conclusion that they need to apply for benefits. For me I had a bout with depression because I felt like I was less than human. I worked many years 80 plus hours a week and then came home and managed my entire home by myself. To go from that to almost nothing at all was a terrible revelation to cope with, and I know there are many people who absolutely feel the same as I do or did.

Hopefully soon each person on this board who has applied for benefits will receive them and things will start to look up from that vantage point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back