Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
08/2014
Country
US
State
ID
My memory of things years ago is still sharp. Recent events, however, are muddled.

For example, I made my bed yesterday and have no memory of doing so. A family member witnessed me making the bed.

I was abused as a child and later I was abused in my marriage. I was diagnosed with fibro a year before I fled the marriage.

I don't know if my memory gaps/loss is fibro fog, result of emotional trauma, or the start of dementia. How can I find the answers to this so i can seek proper treatment?

How old are u if u don't mind me asking .

I have the same, but I've an angioma in my nucleus caudate (left side), so my memory is not very good, but then again... I've gotten lost on my way home a couple times... I was born with it. And by the way, I was also abused as a child. So not sure if it's one thing or another or everything all at once. Have you seen a neurologist? I'm not saying you have something like that, but better safe than sorry... sometimes it's beyond fibro, but sometimes it isn't.

I think that people with dementia and people with fibro fog score differently on cognitive tests. As distressing as fibro fog is, things like Alzheimers and dementia cause more problems. If it is worrying you, maybe a neurologist could evaluate your condition.

BTW I also have memory gaps like what you describe, always in the short term (I use check lists all the time). It used to make upset and mad because it seemed to me like people were making up conversations and events that didn't really happen. And sometimes other people would get mad at me because they thought I was pretending not to remember things. Now that we all understand and accept that the memory gaps are just going to happen, we've adapted. For example my husband will usually remind me about events coming up every few days. And I don't get annoyed that he's doing that :)

I call mine "sometimers" I don't always zone out, but yes I know I unloaded the groceries but I don't remember doing it. I can remember things from 35 years ago in detail, but I couldn't tell what or if I ate for dinner. I fear I will have altihmerz way to early. Gabby makes it worse for about an hour after I take my dose. I avoid everyone during that time!

I'm sorry you both endured being abused as children. I can not think of one thing about that as having a brite side.! No one should ever have to live like that. Blessing to you both. God will one day balance this injustice. Virtual group hug.!

Is it possable your memory gaps is your defense mechanism kicking in when triggers bring back unpleasant thoughts at a moment when your not capable to cope?

Firgetmenot brought up an important question...how old are you? I.e. If your 30 you need to talk to you doctor ASAP but if your 85 talk to you doctor on your next visit. (With in reason, not three months from now). Either way get to the doctor just to chech things out.
It's probably nothing serious. Could be you meds.

Last edited:
The same thought has occurred to me. I think many of us tend to have anxiety, since life is so unpredictable with a chronic illness, and it's natural to jump to the worst scenario, or at least wonder about it. As recommended by others, I think it would be a good idea to get checked just to rule out dementia, if you can afford to do so.

Also, most of us have sleep deprivation, which can cause fogginess in addition to the Fibro Fog. One thing I've noticed over the years is that my brain seems to reserve itself for those tasks where it's really needed. I seem to be on auto-pilot a lot of the time, and what helps me remember is to focus on the task at hand. There's probably no real need for you to recall the details of making your bed, especially if you do it every day, and the task is unmemorable. If, however, you were making your bed and something unusual happened during the process, such as finding a lizard in your bed, or something equally as unlikely (unless you live where that's a normal occurrence), you'd probably remember making your bed.

I find it helps me to really pay attention when I'm doing particular tasks, such as placing my keys down, because otherwise, I tend to lose them. I've adapted to where I now keep the keys in the same place all of the time, so I don't have to constantly search for them. Maybe you could try focusing more on the tasks, to see if that helps your memory. One way to do that is to incorporate as many of your senses into the process as you can. For instance, as you're making the bed, focus on the feeling of the sheets on your fingertips, the color of the sheets, how they smell, etc., and that usually boosts memory retention. If you want to be somewhat scientific about it, you could keep a log of those tasks you do this with, for a certain time period, and go back and review how much you recall about the tasks afterward.

My oldest sister says if anyone in our family got Alzheimer's no one would know the difference! But from my husbands impatience with me about this I know my memory isn't so good anymore. I also have serious problems with remembering why I went in a room,(much worse than 20 years ago), or why I've gone into a store. A friend's husband has Alzheimer's and when shown a picture with a clock he can recognize the hour hand but not the minute hand. Another thing he does is to know that keys are in his hand but not what they are for. So a vital connection is lost. I know people with chronic migraines -me - have a much higher chance of having a stroke. Gee, what a wonderful future we have ahead of us! I do the best I can and leave my future with God; at least He remembers who I am!

That's a parallel fight, keeping a sane mind despite the disease.

Hi All! I'm new to the site and so happy (and kinda sad) to see so many people sharing experiences. I'm struggling with so lots of the fibro symptoms right now. One that is very upsetting is this "Fog". I understand the basic symptoms of it and do have them. But, does anyone just feel "out of it" just completely out it! Sometimes I feel like I can't even bother focusing my eyes, sometimes I feel like my head is physically full of "fog". I just can't get out of it for days at a time. Does this sound like a typical experience?? Thanks so much.

Sarafina...yes it's the same thing for me almost everyday and I have wondered if it's dementia, I'm 37 been like this for 10 years. People I'm with have noticed and told me to 'snap out of it'. As the pain gets worse the fog gets worse. It's hard to process what's going on around you when internally you're just too sick and overwhelmed with being sick to notice every little detail about what is going on...like being constantly distracted. Or some days it just feels like my brain just doesn't have the energy to be sharp and focused. It fluctuated thru the days and weeks. So yes you're not the only one with this symptom.

Yes! It can be debilitating. There are days I have to stay in Bed because of it. Then I'm accused of being lazy, locking myself up, antisocial. I have come to a place that they.....can take it, or leave it, and I will deal with it.
My Mother had dementia, really bad towards the end of her life, the Dr.s said it wasn't alzhiemers, he said" can your Mom walk two houses down from hers and then recognize her home to return to? Yes she could. She still knew who all her kids were. Sometimes I think it's best to get checked though, by a nuralagist. If it means peace of mind, pardon the Pun , Something I need to do myself.

Yes He does remember who you/we are. I beleave God is in the business of miracles, and there's much hope in that, my miracle for now is that I haven't completely lost my will to go on, like many, it's been tough. Nothing compared to the book of Job.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back