Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
11/2008
Country
US
State
WI
I know fibromyalgia causes memory, concentration and word finding problems, etc. Does anyone feel that they are more clumsy now than before the fibromyalgia? I swear I drop things more often than before, however, before was a long time ago. I also seem to stumble and lose balance more.

Hi,
This is my first post. I don't post. It's not me. I don't even do Facebook, so forgive me if I say something stupid. It has been a pleasure reading your posts. It's been very encouraging & sometimes funny. Thanks for that.
I know exactly what you mean about clumsiness. It drives me crazy. I drop everything. I handle a lot of pills because I manage a group home & have to fill their pill boxes. Oh my goodness. Can't fill a tray of pills without dropping 10 or 20. I use the 3 second rule a lot. I also make jewelry for a hobby & I seem to spend more time picking up the pieces. With my fingers going numb & my hands aching, I'm not sure how much longer I'll be able to practice this hobby.
And losing my balance - I am always afraid of falling. I fell down the stairs one morning the year I was diagnosed. I was ok. Landed at the bottom, picked myself up, looked up & my husband was standing there saying "What was that big boom?" I fell in the garage right in front of him & he just stood there. I know there was nothing he could do. It was just funny.
I love my 2 dogs more than anything in this world, but I trip over them constantly & live in fear of falling. I'm heavy so I'm constantly thinking "The bigger they are - the harder they fall."

Yes! I noticed I kept dropping my hairbrush, still do, I also have weekness in both hands and find myself asking others to open lids etc. I was concerned about MS, or ALS at one time. One thing I try and remember is not to put all my symptoms in the same basket, check with your Dr. About any new symptoms.

I have a lot of the same symptoms everybody has already mentioned. I also have degenerative disc disease and severe weakness in my left leg for which a cause has not been found(4 months now) and carpal tunnel. With that mixture of diagnosis, I can never pinpoint which condition causes which symptoms. My fiancé usually has to open jars and such, I half the time cannot grasp anything because I lose all strength in my hands, and I have almost no balance either. These things on top of the fact that I've had to retype over half this post before my fingers hit the correct letters in the correct order can be infuriating and overwhelming. You're definitely not alone in the clumsiness though.

Does anyone have tremors in their hands that cause them to drop things? My hands will shake really badly sometimes and that will cause me to mishandle something and I will end up fumbling with it or dropping it. I have to do things really slowly sometimes if it's bad or so it doesn't start.

I also do clumsy things..yesterday i was taking a hot tray out of the oven..it wasn't heavy but somehow i managed to drop it contents and all..then in haste to pick the hot tray off the wooden floor and stop it causing a burn mark i slammed the oven door shut not realizing the shelf was half out...so nearly smashed the glass oven door too!

I'm always burning my hand filling my hot water bottles from the kettle or somehow manage to tip up my dinner plate and food slides on my lap!

My hands feel weak and like they aren't attached to my brain somehow.

Its annoying but sometimes funny..like watching a comedy TV show!

I drop things and sometimes have trouble walking. In my case I've finally figured out it is caused by a single, quick muscle spasm in my arm or leg. Each spasm is so quick, it took me a long time to recognize what it was. At first I thought it was momentary weakness.

It's most obvious when I am walking and my knee suddenly starts to collapse, then I recover. I kind of looks like I stepped off a curb for a moment, but I'm walking on flat ground.

The spasms in my hands seem to affect my thumb the most. If what I'm holding is resting against my thumb, I drop it.

At work I've taken to carrying things with my palms or fingers when possible to minimize the odds of dropping anything. Sometimes I have to use my thumbs though. It just drive me nuts - some days I seem to get a spasm every 5 minutes. It usually doesn't last for the whole day, though.

I saw a neurologist. He thinks I am reacting to the serotonin uptake inhibitors I am taking for fibro. I'm not sure I agree because I am on pretty low doses, but I am not willing to try to disprove his theory (I would have to stop taking some of my medications). If it is not the medications, then it is idiopathic, meaning there is no underlying cause for the symptom.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back