Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
03/2008
Country
US
State
FL
Is it true that stress and trauma can make FM flare ups worse or even cause them? I have PTSD from a trauma that occurred several years ago, and it seems like whenever something triggers it or I get really stressed out trying not to think about it I get sent into a really bad flare up. Recently something triggered my PTSD really bad (around Thanksgiving) and I have been having a lot of flashbacks and triggers and have been in a constant state of stress and it seems like whenever I start to feel better another one comes along and it seems like my pain gets worse. Is this actually a fact or all in my head?

In my experience its fact. I have never had an official ptsd diagnosis but have this type of reactíon to triggers from a past experience and it sends my pain through the roof for days.

I believe it is this reaction over a long period that significantly contributed to me getting fibro.

My kindest and best advice to you is get treated if you can for the ptsd. Try and find a therapist who can help rewire your brain and get past or at least improve the triggers and fight or flight response.

I would be optimistic that this plus lots of self care self kindness, calm environments and keeping good understanding people around you will help you manage and reduce your symptoms.

Take Care and good luck.

Thank you willow. I actually see a therapist and I brought up the PTSD with her last session and we were discussing ways to address it again and some other issues I'm having and DBT came up. Dialectal Behavioral Therapy. It's mainly used for changing behaviors, but it can also be used for managing emotions and thought processes/responses, so it could be useful for managing PTSD. It could be something you might want to look into. It couldn't hurt. In my new member post I think I discussed my hospital stay and how I recovered and learned how to better take care of myself and do kind things for myself so I'm getting the self care and kindness thing down slowly...it's a work in a progress, but I'm getting there. It's hard to teach a giver to give to herself.

Yes i think being natural givers while a lovely quality i would be attracted to i think we dont put ourselves first enough...and maybe long term our good nature gets taken advantage of....good luck with the therapy and for the tips.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back