Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
09/2010
Country
US
State
PR
I've been under a lot of pressure to get a job. My current financial situation is hard. I live with my partner and he has a low paying full time job. When I was in school my parents supported me but I've been out of school for a year now and work on photography/graphic design/ retouching is hard to find. I do some freelance gigs but that's not a lot of income and not stable.

My parents still help me out by paying my insurance and giving me money in case of emergencies, but for the most part I'm living of my partner's income. He understands my condition and my struggle to find any job. But my parents are getting annoyed at me for "not doing anything with my life" and think I should "just get a job". Also my partners mom thinks I'm lazy. She has 2 jobs and has been a single mom of 3 ever since my partner was born and she thinks I should be able to get a job too and is worried I'm just with my partner for money (what money? he's broke but hardworking and I love him)

They think I'm not trying but I am. It's just that employment is hard to find and with this condition I know my body can't take a very physical job. I had a part time job at a bakery as a cashier and sometimes I helped making sweets. Every day I would be in pain at work and after work, but I was allowed to sit down from time to time when there where no costumers and it was not a high stress job. I don't think I can take standing for 8 hours straight. I've applied to sitting jobs like call centers and so far nothing, I've applied to design and retouching jobs and no luck. Small business like the bakery I worked for are closing, and the big places like Walmart want to treat employees like slaves. I'm not even sure if I could get a job like that, but I'm too scared of what it will be like that I don't try.

There are many jobs you can get on line, go read my blog day 7. Also have you considered creating a job like shopping for elderly people or taking them to the store. Doing very light housework and fixing meals or just staying with a person while their caregiver goes to the store or gets a break. These types of jobs are high in demand if you know where to look. Check out senior centers or home health aids. I know you can not do heavy lifting, but reading to an older person or helping another disabled person is not always a hard job.

There are places on line that need writers on blogs. You can sell books you don't want or dvd's, or computer games. Then there are companies that will pay you to take orders or do medical billing. Read around the forum for other ideas. I know how hard it is finding work and I wish you the best of luck. :)

Marie, try finding a job online, there are many chances for US and Canadian residents, a lot companies are hiring call center employes to work at home. That's a great chance for you out there. Most of them offer a good salary and are fair enough. There are many great jobs online, you just need to look for them! Just Google a bit, there is a site I like to check is named ''the online employment agency'' or something like that. If you are good at grammar and orthography then you will have even mooooore chances.

I've been under a lot of pressure to get a job. My current financial situation is hard.

These situations, I know, are always made even more difficult when people are throwing around things like you mentioned ("get a job" and that horrid "lazy" word from those who don't understand.) :sad:

I see that the two replies you've received so far have some great ideas, and I hope you'll be able to find something that you love doing and that doesn't stir up the fibro.

Do remember that since you're the one who will have to deal with the results, don't let anyone push you into something you feel you are not physically able to do. Nothing good can come of that. Best of luck with this!

Thanks everyone for the job suggestions. I'm going to look more into it.

The lazy word is something I get a lot and even when they don't say it you can see they think it. You don't work because you are lazy, you didn't finish school because you're lazy, you're fat because you are too lazy to exercise...

The lazy word is something I get a lot and even when they don't say it you can see they think it. You don't work because you are lazy, you didn't finish school because you're lazy, you're fat because you are too lazy to exercise...

Yes... sadly it seems to be the "wounding word" of choice. :-(

What bothers me most is that people who say things like that usually don't even bother trying to understand. They only know that THEY are able to "get up and go" as much as they want to and where they want to and don't see outside their own box.

Seems that it's so much "easier" to cut someone else down than to genuinely try to understand.

I've been under a lot of pressure to get a job. My current financial situation is hard. I live with my partner and he has a low paying full time job. When I was in school my parents supported me but I've been out of school for a year now and work on photography/graphic design/ retouching is hard to find. I do some freelance gigs but that's not a lot of income and not stable.

My parents still help me out by paying my insurance and giving me money in case of emergencies, but for the most part I'm living of my partner's income. He understands my condition and my struggle to find any job. But my parents are getting annoyed at me for "not doing anything with my life" and think I should "just get a job". Also my partners mom thinks I'm lazy. She has 2 jobs and has been a single mom of 3 ever since my partner was born and she thinks I should be able to get a job too and is worried I'm just with my partner for money (what money? he's broke but hardworking and I love him)

They think I'm not trying but I am. It's just that employment is hard to find and with this condition I know my body can't take a very physical job. I had a part time job at a bakery as a cashier and sometimes I helped making sweets. Every day I would be in pain at work and after work, but I was allowed to sit down from time to time when there where no costumers and it was not a high stress job. I don't think I can take standing for 8 hours straight. I've applied to sitting jobs like call centers and so far nothing, I've applied to design and retouching jobs and no luck. Small business like the bakery I worked for are closing, and the big places like Walmart want to treat employees like slaves. I'm not even sure if I could get a job like that, but I'm too scared of what it will be like that I don't try.

you can find some type of work at home job. cashiers have to stand up and be vigilant so that is probably difficult for you. maybe a babysitting job? turn your home into a nursery for a few small children . although again there will be some physical labor involved. if you find something online that would be good . some online work as a paralegal or secretary. make calls from home for Amazon or other big companies. Take pizza orders from home . There is stuff out there.

Yes... sadly it seems to be the "wounding word" of choice. :-(

What bothers me most is that people who say things like that usually don't even bother trying to understand. They only know that THEY are able to "get up and go" as much as they want to and where they want to and don't see outside their own box.

Seems that it's so much "easier" to cut someone else down than to genuinely try to understand.

Yeah. I think not trying to understand is a big issue. A lot of people think that if they can do something then everyone must be able to do the same. I'm sure it's not like that and even between people with the same condition what we can and cannot do is individual. Nobody's pain is ever the same.

I absolutely understand your frustration. This is so much more than just 'being in pain' or 'being tired'. I have found that most people do not understand in the least, and probably never will. It is easy to pass judgement when it is not your own life that is difficult.

Also when you don't work or are not active in awhile it is very difficult to get up and going to a normal 9-5 pm routine. I give a lot of credit to my dad. After almost a year and a half of not working, sitting in front of the television (not his fault as he was going through health issues) suddenly this guy lands a job at something he did 20 years ago and starts working 10 hours a day. Used to come home exhausted and wouldn't even eat. We all told him take it easy . He is still at it . 60+ years old and working 12 hours shifts. It is unbelievable.

I sympathize with your situation, and I've been on the receiving end of those disapproving looks you get from people who don't understand why you're not in work. No matter how well I described my condition, nobody seemed to believe me. The thing with fibro, and other related illness, is that you can look perfectly ok. No matter how much you're suffering, to other people you will be fit enough for work, and no amount of explanation will change that. They don't understand because this condition is still relatively new, and very much misunderstood, or worse still, disbelieved.

I think that some other people have mentioned finding some work online - however little you can do, at least it's something, and it may help to keep things ticking over for you. At least with working online from home, you can more often than not choose your own hours, so no need to plod on when you're in pain or exhausted.

I hope things pick up for you soon.

So I've been researching online jobs, and a full time or part time stable job online is just as hard to get as offline. I've applied for some costumer service ones but I don't have much experience in that so I'm not sure they'll hire me. In the meantime I've researched micro jobs and while the pay is very little, it's better than nothing and it makes me feel more useful. I'm going to keep searching for a stable job but keep doing the micro tasks until I find it. That extra cash is useful for buying small things.

I am sorry to hear how this condition is holding you back from obtaining employment. I was medically retired from the Air Force and knew it would be difficult to obtain a regular job due to my own illness. With research and help from friends, I was able to find a great site with many job opportunities that can be done from the comfort of your home. These jobs are very legitimate too. I am currently working from home with one of these sites and it has been great supplemental income. Check out ratracerebellion.com. It changed my life. Good Luck

Thanks everyone for the job suggestions. I'm going to look more into it.

Yeah, try looking into the transcription field! I heard it pays well and most people can do it.

BTW, I hate that word... It is so judgemental of them to assume we are not doing certain things out of lazyness. Best of luck Marie! Keep us posted!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back