Reason
Other
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
KYA
State
Central
Sleep is a major issue with FM patients with restless leg syndrome RLS, teeth grinding and sleep apnea being common culprits. If no particular cause of sleep disturbance can be pinpointed, antidepressants taken in low doses should be given. These are not addictive and have few contraindications as in Ampitryptyline which can be taken at the rate of 10g per night. A potent sleep medication is Sodium Oxybate (Xyran) though its tightly controlled due to its addictive potential. Regular sleep prescriptions should ale avoided for example Piriton and valium as they are likely to interfere with the quality of deep sleep.

I used to have a very normal sleep when I was younger, but now that has changed. I have had short episodes of narcolepsy when I was a teen, some years later I had what could be called sleep paralysis, then night terrors and now I can no longer achieve a deep sleep... I'm sleep deprived most of the time but my half liter cup of coffee every morning help to keep me going, lol.

Amitripolyn has been a life saver for me .i would never sleep without it, plus it does help with the pain .anitdepressents may help sleep but will after a while stop making u feel sleepy.i think anitdepressents should be used for what they are.
But this illness is such a robber of life that if u fine a combo that works for u then take it.what works for me might not work for u.and so on ��

Before fibro, I would have occasional trouble getting to sleep, but nothing chronic. So I used to take 1/2 a doxylamine tablet (Unisom or store-brand) and get a great nights sleep, no grogginess or other side effects when waking. But since, on the 2 times I tried taking it again, I've awoken with rip-roaring headaches and increased widespread pain. Melatonin never helped me, so now I just deal. If I can't get to sleep, I sleep in a little later in the day if I am able, or take a nap.

@remnant - how about Tramadol? I had taken that, 50mg, when I had some high stressors going on and couldn't stay asleep. Again, I would get restful sleep without side effects. I wouldn't try it now, but I've read some others are on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back