Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
Ny
7 months ago i had never heard of Kratom. After trying a few samples from a friend that vaguely told me about it, i became an avid researcher and epxerimenter. Throughout the internet you will find wildy opposing views about this simple, mostly legal plant. One thing that is for sure is that is an amazing tool for addicts and peopld dependent on opiates to break their habit or take a break.
Kratom is a.natural plant from southeast asia that may enhance mood and energy levels, provide pain relief, anxiety relief, and help with sleep. Depending on quality, strain, and personal physiology, doseage, and current medicines, your desired effect may bd achieved. I suggest taking a look into it and giving it a shot. Do plenty of research first and stick with the plainleaf, not the enahnced stuff! Good luck and keep in mind im still experimentkng and figurng out which strain and dose is best for me.

Hi Dom, Hmmm, looks to be a bit controversial; many raves but probably equal amount of caveats. I'm not on any fibro meds, looking into alternatives for the pain. I don't think I will try this, unless I go to the naturopath doctor that has plenty of experiencing working with it. But
I do keep an open mind. The problem is there is no standardization.

I take it you have had some good results. I hope your keep us posted and do please be careful.

Kratom is an opioid. Research on Fibromyalgia suggests that opioid processing is abnormal in Fibro patients, which suggests part of the reason for Fibro pain -- pain suppression processing in the brain aren't working correctly. Opioids don't seem to do anything for my daughter. Cannibinoids seem a more likely target.

As Kratom is an opioid, withdrawal is a concern. If you google Kratom Withdrawal, you'll find discussion of the symptoms of withdrawal and people trying to withdrawal. There are also the risks of opioids on the autonomic nervous system, although, fortunately, it seems there is no recorded case of a deadly overdose. The reported symptoms of overdose, however, sound highly unpleasant.

Another concern with opioid use is opioid resistance. If you use it regularly, and then need to go to the hospital where you need opioids after surgery, etc, they may not be effective. I even saw a report of opioid resistance in a low dose naltrexone user. Scary!

Overall, there are too many risks for me to try this, particularly in a minor child, particularly since opioids have, in the past, seemed to be worse than useless with her. We are having good luck with high dose magnesium in a warm drink - Natural Calm -- to take the edge off pain.

Yes Kratom is an opioid, not an opiate (derived from poppy plant eg. Morphine, hydrocodone, oxycodone, tramadol). The plant mildy effects the u opioid receptor, however has many other alkaloids.
I've been on everything from naproxen, to tramadol, to oxycodone, and everything in between. Kratom is nowhere near as addictive as any opiate, and has minor withdrawal symptoms which are quite laughable when compared to pharmaceuticals. It's nowhere near as strong. Now keep in mind i'm talking about regular plain leaf, not the lab enhanced extracts and such. Of course it's something to be respected and dosed properly and kept at a routine and not an addiciin
The main problem is finding a good vendor, strain, and dose that works for what you're looking for. I highly suggest researching it and giving it a try if you're 21 and over. Negative side effects are some nausea, fatigue, and visual issues but the doses are learned quickly to avoid these problems. If your as desperate is i am you'd give it a shot. I mostly use it when i take a break from pharmaceuticals or if i have bad month and run out of meds early. I honestly think the positives outweigh the benefits. Just trying to let everyone know about it. I have no stock in Kratom. I just felt an obligation to share with everyone here, another tool/approach to living a better life.

Uhm, thanks for sharing the info with us, but I am always super wary when it comes to controversial things like these D: I'm always worried about side effects, of everything, not only meds and plants. This was the first time i heard about it, so yeah, I googled it. It's refereed as a drug according to the sites I found, quire controversial. I'd not take it without the supervision of a naturopath, but that is just me, those who have tried it and have had good results: happy for you.

Thank you for posting this. I am looking into researching kratom. I have only tried it once and it was stimulating but i think it was the type of kratom i had at the time. Im looking for more of a pain relief and anxiety help.

Oh, kratom is AMAZING! people hear that is an opioid and immediately compare it to heroin or something. But, it's nothing like that, it doesn't even really get you high, very hard to abuse. The only downside is that EXTREME amounts can lead to liver damage but that's far, FAR more than the CDC recommends. It's actually much, MUCH safer for your liver than a couple Tylenol.

Glad you tried it Destiny. There really is no controversy, all media hype and fake products. As for liver problems, teylenol and other NSAID's are literally dozens of times more harmful to your liver than an actual overdose of Kratom. Actually NSAID's are more harmful to your internal organs than any opiate, by far! I am and have been prescribed oxycodone and alprozalam as well as a bunch of SSRI SNRI etc... kratom does not come close to the trouble these medications cause, antidepressants being the worst in my opinion. You should be way more skeptical of Lyrica or any other non narcotic medication. These drugs are poorly resesrched and ruin lives. I tried to commit suicide while taking lexapro and almost did while on cymbalta. Nothing of the sort happened while i was only taking Oxycodone, or when I use Kratom for 2 weeks straight. Takes a lot of experimenting and research but, regular plain leaf kratom from a reliable source ( i've tried probably 30 strains from 6 different vendors) will change your life. It amazes me how people are willing to take Lyrica for life with massive doses and side effects, but won't try a real deal, use as needed, non addictive pain killer/stimulant/helps everything that sucks with fibromyalgia and leaves you with a clear head unlike pot.

Hi Dom, thank you so much for sharing. I have done some research on kratom. It does get a little controversial and if one wanted to try it finding a safe/reliable sorce might be a problem. I am with you on your thoughts on anti depressants. I fought "Dictors" for years about not wanting/needing them. I Reyes lyrica for a couple of days out of desperation and b4 I really knew any thing about it. Ong. im glad I responded so badly so quickly!!! I'm waiting on some other problems to get resolved b4 I make my next move and like Trellum I'ld rather be under a skilled naturopaths care but just like weed, I think we might be getting @scared@ out of safer cheaper options. Thanks again for the info.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back