Not open for further replies.

Restless13

Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
North Carolina
5 years ago, I was healthy, or so I thought I was, then I had a stroke. From that point and time, everything in my life went into a downward spiral. Before all that I worked 2 jobs to keep me and my kids afloat...and then it seemed after all that I could barely get up out of the bed I was so exhausted. I have Hashimotos thyroiditis and pernicious anemia. My legs give out on me at times. My whole body just seems to hurt almost all the time. Stinging and burning pain in both legs.Nearly to the point I can't stand to be touched. I have chronic headaches, IBS, memory issues pertaining to the stroke too. 2 bulging disk in neck and lower back. My family doctor acts as if she doesn't even want to bother with me and sends me off to other doctors. I have been through 4 Neuro doctors. Each one finding something wrong and then just giving up....which pushes me to the next one. I know I am not crazy....I have been checked for Lupus and MS....Only 2 lesions on the brain...and nothing more since the stroke...and I was told my ANA was normal....Now I am just at a loss......Several people have mentioned Fibro to me......but where do I turn to see if this is what I have or not.

So sorry to hear you are going tru all this! It really sounds like your family doctor isn't the right one, if she knew better she'd have sent you to see a rheumatologist instead of a bunch of neuros! The rheumi will surely suggest a trigger point test, if you do feel pain during that exam... is certain you have fibro. You need to see a rheumi soon, ask your family doctor to refer you to one. Hopely you get the right diagnosis soon, just go see a rheumatologist as soon as you can.

Wow that sure is a plateful. Your in a tough spot because you had a stroke and that alone can cause all kinds of issues as you know. Not sure I have anything helpful to say but I wish you the best.

My family doctor acts as if she doesn't even want to bother with me and sends me off to other doctors. I have been through 4 Neuro doctors. Each one finding something wrong and then just giving up....which pushes me to the next one. I know I am not crazy....I have been checked for Lupus and MS....Only 2 lesions on the brain...and nothing more since the stroke...and I was told my ANA was normal....Now I am just at a loss......Several people have mentioned Fibro to me......but where do I turn to see if this is what I have or not.

I'm so sorry that you're having to deal with so much. :-( I don't even know what to say about your family doctor. That is *so* far away from what a doctor is supposed to be like... can you see someone else? Drastic, I know, but my goodness, if a doctor would act as if they didn't want to bother with me when I help to pay their ridiculously high paycheck, I'd be more than a little upset.

Is this doctor old, by the way? (Oooops, I can be so blunt, sorry! :lol: ) I'm asking because many of the old-timers haven't been trained in how to diagnose fibro at all. At least you've had some of the important tests done, but if they all came back normal/negative, a doctor with more recent training should immediately wonder about fibro as the next option.

Hi there. I think you should request to see a rheumatologist. Neurologists can sometimes diagnosis fibro, but it is not really in their field of interest, as they are looking for things like MS or Parkinsons, other nerve or muscle diseases. Where as fibro is considered to be a form of arthritis.
Why, I am not really sure, but a rheumatologist is trained in looking for fibro, as well as, lupus and lymes disease. Then there are the other types of arthritis like RA and other bone issues.

While your deciding what to do please read around the forum in the section involved with pain and fatigue, and alternative methods, as you might learn some new coping skills. Be sure to read the old posts as well as, the new so that you don't miss any good ideas on toning down your pain filled areas of your body.

Feel free to post more questions and offer opinions on other members posts. Glad you found us. :)

I think am going to do just that. I got to get some sort of relief......Or some sort of knowing what is going on with me.....you know. Some days are worse than others and the pain, can hurt to the point of not wanting to be touched......My doctor is a young doctor......but sadly.....shes one that likes to talk over your head and send you on your way in under 30 seconds. A change of primary docs is needed....but I am going to push to see a rheumatologist.

Wishing you good things, Restless13. You deserve a doc who treats you like a person, not a problem. Virtual hugs from us here at the forum!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back