Reason
Undiagnosed
Diagnosis
12/2013
Country
US
State
utah
Hello! My name is Ryan. I am new to the forum! I have been diagnosed with fibro and just would like to know if any of you guys experience weakness in your arms/face/throat/entirebody pretty much. I have been struggling with my health for almost 3 years now. It first started with fatigue with minor weakness in my arms, then I started getting a constant achey flu feeling which has been the worst part. About 1yr ago the weakness spread to my legs face back and neck. I also get twitches everywhere. Mentally I feel foggy and distant. My thoughts are hazey and unorganized. I have pretty bad short term memory loss. However..... For some reason I think the weakness is unrelated to the other symptoms. I am worried sick about ALS (lou gehrigs) and I really would appreciate some input from another fibro or cfs sufferer.

Thanks,
Ryan Hanseen
Age 21 slc, ut

Ryan,
Welcome to the forum. Fibro has a way of sending out symptoms that are similar to more serious illnesses like ALS. I am sure your doctors checked you over and did bloodwork and looked for signs of other illnesses. Other illnesses that are alike include Lymes and Lupus, MS and RA.
Usually tests are done to rule them out during the diagnosis.

One thing that truely can make fibro worse is worry and stress. Fibro affects the muscles making them tight and hard to relax. So naturally when we worry and are overly stressed the pain is worse. Others on the forum have talked about twitching and weakness. I had more of the twitching in the early stages of my illness, but fatigue and weakness in my arms and legs is a constant battle.

Things that helped me deal with this was to take life at a slower pace, by not over doing and not cramming to many things into one day. Also by relaxing as much as possible and watching movies or shows that make you laugh, which can take your mind off your pain for a little while. Try to find things to do that you enjoy like new hobbies.

Ask any questions you need answers too and join in by posting around the forum. We try to be supportive and helpful to all, and we are good at listening too. :)

Hello! My name is Ryan. I am new to the forum! I have been diagnosed with fibro and just would like to know if any of you guys experience weakness in your arms/face/throat/entirebody pretty much. I have been struggling with my health for almost 3 years now. It first started with fatigue with minor weakness in my arms, then I started getting a constant achey flu feeling which has been the worst part. About 1yr ago the weakness spread to my legs face back and neck. I also get twitches everywhere. Mentally I feel foggy and distant. My thoughts are hazey and unorganized. I have pretty bad short term memory loss. However..... For some reason I think the weakness is unrelated to the other symptoms. I am worried sick about ALS (lou gehrigs) and I really would appreciate some input from another fibro or cfs sufferer.

Thanks,
Ryan Hanseen
Age 21 slc, ut
Ryan welcome to the forums. Yeah the muscle fatigue is worse than the pain for me at times. 1sweed has some solid advice to start with, good luck.

Well that makes me feel a whole lot better. Thanks guys! I struggle to find people to relate with and I am so glad I found this forum. Being in a constant battle with my health has been emotionally draining. Especially because it was a mystery for so long! I have had just about every blood test, 2 mris, an emg and ncs, and countless other tests. I don't think that neither my Neuro nor my GP knows very much about fibro and it's not very reassuring. How do you guys get over the constant achey flu feeling! It drives me crazy! The only thing I have gotten relief from is hydrocodone but my doc only gives it to me if I'm hurting really bad, and I hate how sick it makes me.

Welcome to the forum Ryan. I'm sorry to hear you've joined a club no one wants to.

I, too, experience general muscle weakness. However, I'm never sure if it's due to a Fibro flare or Myocitis. Myocitis causes weakness in your shoulder area so, my arms have always been pretty weak. I just lifted a tub of (close to a full bag) of dog food onto another tub, so I don't have to bend over as much, and now I'm paying for it. It's ridiculous that a 2 second endeavor makes a huge impact on how you feel. If your neuro or GP don't know who to treat you, look for a rheumatologist. They're better suited to treat this silly disease.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back