Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
03/2016
Country
US
State
XO
I had a cat scan w/contrast done a couple of months ago. For 2 weeks afterwards everything was worse...pain, fatigue, brain fog; I'm still a little worse than before the procedure. I even got the onset of new pain (like I needed that) in my hips. The hair has basically slowed down to almost a full stop on my legs and underarms. I brought this up to the PA at the clinic; as usual, no comment.

So I found this tidbit from a recent medical paper published a few years ago:

"However, iodine is present in concentrations up to several thousand-fold higher than these amounts in medications, supplements and in the iodinated contrast agents used for radiologic studies (Box 1). In some susceptible individuals, the use of these iodine-containing substances can result in thyroid dysfunction as a result of the high iodine load. In certain circumstances, iodine excess can result in adverse thyroidal effects after only a single exposure to an iodine-rich substance."

Has anyone else had some adverse events following a cat scan w/contrast? If not, please keep this in mind in case you are ever scheduled for one. And make sure you take note of adverse events in the weeks/months following; hopefully your health care provider won't ignore them like mine.

Wow, the 'tea-time' caught my eye, then I saw it was you posting, and it was about cat scan with contrast, which I had recently during the hours I wasted at the Emergency Room. It's hard to say whether the fatigue I'm experiencing is related to the cat scan w/contrast or not, since my body is no doubt still recovering from the systemic infection that had been building throughout my body for years, but I know for certain that I experienced a serious flush when the contrast entered my body, and it was more severe of a reaction than I recall in the past years ago when I've had other cat scans with contrast. Since then, my Fibromyalgia has worsened, so perhaps they are related. I'll keep an eye on it.

My overall fatigue seems to have improved (it's not present 24/7 anymore, at least not right now), but when it does hit, it's like an 18-wheeler hitting an invisible wall. I used to experience that when I was working, and it had morphed into sort of an ever present milder event, but for some reason the really severe fatigue is back. Hopefully if it's related to the iodine, it will eventually wear off. It could also be because I've been trying to do more, since the fatigue isn't with me 24/7 right now, so I'm trying to be more active and catch up on things that have slid over the past few years. @sureimsore Did the article state whether those experiencing the complications from the dye ever received any relief, whether the effects eventually wore off? I sure hope so, and I'm glad you posted this, to let us know, thanks.

Reactions to contrast are quite rare to be honest. Also, even though A CT with contrast could technically be referred to as a medical procedure, it is probably about one of the least invasive ones out there. You should revisit the issue with your provider, press a little harder for answers maybe. You should also be prepared to accept or at least be open to the possibility that the CT or the contrast may have had nothing to do with your symptoms as well.

Did the article state whether those experiencing the complications from the dye ever received any relief, whether the effects eventually wore off? I sure hope so, and I'm glad you posted this, to let us know, thanks.

I didn't read the whole paper WP (glad to see you back, btw : ) but the name of the paper is "Consequences of excess iodine." Its very easy to find, and the paper is only 2 years old. I just skimmed through it again, but I didn't notice anything regarding treatment.

I generally consume quite a bit of iodine anyway (I only use iodized salt and, unfortunately, a lot of it) and I eat a lot of assorted fish. So having the contrast material probably overdid it for me. The hair under my arms and on my legs stopped growing for a few weeks after; I upped my Vitamin D and its growing again.

Definitely talk about it with your doctor.

I thought I would add my two-cents here. The contrast does cause a warm flushing feeling, but it only causes allergic reactions in people like me who are allergic to iodine. If the contrast makes you feel ill or break out in hives, then they will give you a shot to counter act the affects of any allergy symptoms. I usually tell them I am allergic and then I take a dose of Benadryl before having the test done.

Right, but not talking about an allergic reaction, just talking about over-exposure to iodine.

You may want to have your doctor do an iodine loading test. I would also have a basic mineral test done. I too feel sluggish after ct's and MRI with contrast (only for a day though). Anastesia affects me for months.

I just mentioned to my husband today that my hair isn't really growing anymore. I feel like I'm losing more than I'm growing. I thought maybe it was because my gut is all messed up and I'm not getting proper nutrition.

I've have 4 CT's with contrast over the past year. One of those I ended up have to have the contrast given a second time because the pictures weren't clear. I don't recall feeling anymore pain, but I hurt in various spots at various times, and I always feel sorta "off" as far as brain and thinking issues, so I don't think I would have noticed anyways lol

If you think there is something wrong, then I think you should push the issue of being tested. You know your body better than the doctors do.

@Silverbelle - if I ever get a doctor again (if you haven't seen my predicament in other posts, well, long story), I will certainly ask to be tested.

My last visit to the clinic, I told them I felt like crap for 2 weeks after, that I had pain and swelling in the IV arm, I bled once in my urine the next day, that my underarm/leg hair stopped growing...nothing. No comment. For now I'm upping my D3 and I think it's helping a bit.

Well, be careful of getting anymore contrasts, at least this year; it's inorganic iodine which I read makes it worse. I was reading on medscape that its not all that uncommon to feel bad for a few weeks after.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back