Status
Not open for further replies.
Yipee! The apples are finally all done in my kitchen. I was peeling them for pie apples and they are so small or else big but when cut are filled with bad spots. Sometimes I ended up with one small piece from a really big apple. I am so tired of apples, and so moving on to tomatoes tomarrow. I got a small freezer this weekend, so when it's unpacked and put in place I will be able to freeze most of the rest of my veggies.

Cleaned up my garlic bed today and now must pick through the cloves of garlic and plant some back in the bed. I dug and dug to find them all. And of course the weeds had to be removed. My back was killing me when I got done and the bed is only 36 X36 inches. My onion bed is empty now and cleaned up for the winter.

I just have a few green beans left and a bit of lettuce. I picked the dill heads today and hung them in a paper bag to dry. Since I was so busy this past month the weeding didn't get done properly, so now I am suffering in trying to play catch-up.

Hope to hear from more of you newcomers about your days, the few good times you enjoy. :)

My lettuce was a bit of a disaster this year, one minute way too weet then so hot it made all the lettuce bolt! I manage to get a couple of sarni's and salads out of them and the squirrels wrecked the rest.
the tomatoes didnt do so well either, just as well as we normally have way too many. in fact it was a stupid year for just about everything. it didnt help that the garden centre we bought our plants from this year mis-labelled a lot so we wasnt growing what wee thought we were. I wont be going back next year.
so I keep looking at my flagging garden putting off the inevitable clearing up, i know then winter is truly on the way and i'm just not ready to admit it yet. Hubby has gone up to the cottage for the yearly boys golfing weekend (that now lasts nearly a week) so apart from my basement hibernating daughter I have the place to myself from now until Sunday. I will finally get around to some odd jobs that hubby always interferes with me doing. I love him dearly but its nice to have those few days to myself. by Sunday I will be missing him. Good luck with all your harvesting Sweeds

Today is an excellent day. I have the day off from work and I am spending it with my pets. I just fed the both and gave my kitty a pile of catnip. I'll smoke my vaporizer in a few minutes and bake some oatmeal raisin cookies. Yum! I've taken my supplements and I am feeling pretty good. It is a glorious 70 degrees outside with a bright shining sun. Not a cloud in the sky for once!

well so far i have done almost nothing. Woke to a grey rainy dreary day and felt i didn't have the inclination to forfill my best laid plans. i did do a little grocery shop and my laundry but for the most part gone round in circles getting not much else done. in fact i think i might go have a nap while its quiet

Today was a different story. I woke feeling tired at what I thought was 8am. The morning seemed to drag and when it got to 9 I went to Lowes for my morning cuppa coffee and a mooch. Got a planter full of tropical plants for just 4 dollars! I figure as its the end of the season if it lasts just a month or two thats still a hell of a lot cheaper than a bunch of flowers.
I got home and checked my Fitbit Stats for the previous night...it tracks your sleep pattern... no wonder I thought the morning dragged- I actually got up at 7am!
oh well
I wanted somewhere to put my new bargain and the dining room would have been perfect but it still looked like a dumping ground for junk so I set too and spent pretty much the whole day sorting it out. Hubby got back from his boys weekend at 3pm while I was just finishing- it looked really nice- no I just got to keep it that way ;)

Rollinloud, So glad you joined in please post some more.
twiztc, Glad your doing good and found some nice plants. There is always something to do when it comes to housework. Laying on the couch is much more fun then hard work and alone time is good once in a while. :)

Tonight I am very tired. I have been trying to do the little jobs that get put off when your in a big hurry to finish more important work. You know like cleaning the floors and the bathroom. Then I look outside and see weeds in my flower beds, so I have to slip out for a minute and pick those darn weeds. then I noticed my asperagus bed still needed to be mulched. I went looking for something to do the job and found bags of peat moss at a bargin prices. Got them, brought them home and unloaded them. I went in to get something to eat and thought what if it rains on them tonight, what a soggy mess that will be. So I went back out and opened them and used a can to pile the peat in the rows and beside the rows.

Went in the house with a terrible aching back and got something to eat and sat and watched a movie. I woke up an hour later. lol I love doing things outside but my body do protest to the work I try to do.

Otherwise I help care for my mom and end up putting things on hold while I tend to her needs. I am trying to make some rasberry preserves, using ground green tomatoes and sugar, and rasberry jello. If it works I will share the recipe with all of you. :)

yep Sweeds tiz a busy time of year, things are starting to die off and we get to thinking of tidying up and bedding the gardens down for the winter,
I've been back to work and with all that sitting comes the pain and discomfort. but you need to earn those pennies one way or another eh?
My day off tomorrow and my pool is still closed till next week. I really miss my swimming.
So as the weather is going to be a stupid temperature for this time of year i might go and window shop at the mall and use their A/C till i have to go to the dentist for a cleaning. I really hate the dentists coz i'm such a baby. I do hope I don't embarrass myself too much

This week I have been working on changing my garden into a long raised bed that is level and easy to weed and take care of. My garden is on a slope at the back of my house. When it rained this summer the top soil was washed down the slope and my soil became somewhat thin in spots. So I am adding treated lumber to box in the soil and make it more level.

It is hard work because of the slope and because weeds took hold this summer when I was busy doing other things. I pulled and hoed and worked today to get my first two boards in place. Now I have to add more manure and top soil to the area to level it up and contain good soil for next year.

So my hands are getting dirty and my legs gave out today as I fell down the slope and was stopped by my chicken wire fence. The only thing bruised was my ego, as I landed in the mud. lol
Hope I do better tomarrow. Glad to hear all is well for the most part and that your holding your on to your sense of humor. :)

You wanna be more carful gal- slippy slidy stuff usually hurts, you were lucky.
Its been a little while since i posted in this one. I like this spot for good days, I dont want to be a moaning minney in here, thats what the other places are for, and I've been in a bit of a moaning minney mood lately. I had a bit of a rough week for one thing or another but like I said thats another story for another Place.
Saturday's wedding was wonderful. very well planned and everyone was beautiful, and there was some tears, mostly from a happy and emotional Groom!
Today was my usual Wednesday day off and the pool was reopened after its thorough cleaning. All my girls were there now we are back on the winter schedule and I put myself through a much needed workout- I just know I will suffer for it tomorrow but it will be that strangely pleasant "I've had a workout pain" rather than just a "oh god i'm having a shit day" pain. I went to one of my favorite plaza's after and did some serious window shopping, content to buying just a few dollar store items for Christmas ideas ( yeh I went there and said the "C" word) and I was naughty in Sportchek and took advantage of their buy one get one free from the clearance section. a nice pair of jeans and a pair of yoga pant. Both of which need to be turned up by 3 feet coz I'm such a short arse!I was surprised when it was gone 3pm when I got home. Its such a gorgeous warm sunny day I didnt want to waste it so i sat outside in the garden re-potting a few plant ready for when I have to take them in for the winter.
Hubby came home from work so then it was back to a usual evening, food shopping and dinner cooking and loafing on the sofa watching TV.
I'd had a good day. All was well with the world :)
Blessing to you all and I hope for the days when they can all be good....for all of us

Today I finished that horrible weeding job And got my third board in and then had to go by stakes to keep the boards in place. I picked up some bags of dried cow manure and peat, to mix in the soil. And I will have to add more top soil to level it all off. It is starting to look really nice and I am hoping it works good next year.

Today was a nice beautiful warm day and I hope it holds through tomarrow so I can finish the hardwork in garden. Then i will be able to relax until the leaves start falling and I will then gather some for my compost pile and garden area. It always seems when I have a job to do I don't have the proper tools. Do you find that happens to you as well? I need to put up a small short fence around my garlic bed to keep the rabbits out. This means I need stakes and wire cutters. I want to add a piece of fencing for growing grapes on, but I need a lightweight mallet to pound in three posts. I try to borrow some tools from my neighbors but do not want to be borrowing all the time. So I try to reinvent the wheel, so to speak and find other ways of doing what needs done.

Anyways twiztc, glad to hear life is moving along well and that you got to go swimming again. I know how good that pool water must feel and how much easier it is to exercise in the water. And repotting is lots of fun too. :)

Today was a good day. I got several errands done and bought a bale of straw. I plan to use it to mulch the pathways of my garden to keep the weeds from growing. Plus it will give me a softer landing if I fall. lol

I got my burn can set up in the backyard and then pulled out all my dying tomatoe vines and put them in the compost pile. I thought I was all done canning. I had put my canner away and was ready to relax for a few days, but that idea was before I went to town. While in town, a friend had a huge bag of beets from her garden that she did not want or need. I was given 2 grocery bags filled with big beets. In a way I am happy because I love pickled beets and making harvard beets, but the hard part is getting the darn things cooked. These are big and will take hours to get soft and cooked. That is the hard part, the cleaning and cooking.

But I guess I should be happy to get some more free food. But I am so tired that the whole idea of cooking them is not at all appealing. Has anyone here cooked large batches of beets for canning before? It will be fun I am sure. lol See you all later! :)

I had an ok day myself today. The swimming times are back to normal so I can get a little lie in and I do well in the pool... it makes me feel so much better even if only psychological. Did a bit of shopping then had to go to the dental hygenist for my second half of my mouth. I can't have it all done at once as I am way too sensitive and I can't sit in that chair for much more than an hour. But I got through it today without embarrassing myself so bonus.
I love beetroots Sweeds but since living in this house I have been unsuccessful into growing them. Either the bugs or squirrels get at them and the bulbs just don't develope.
I remember when we were little my mum boiling up huge amounts in this big electric boiler we had... the baby burco.. and when done we'd eat them hot out of the boiler with butter and strong cheddar.... ooooo I can still taste it and the smell was amazing.

You made me very hungry with that idea of freshly cooked beets with butter and cheddar. Yum! However, I put up 4 quarts of pickled beets and now I am done canning. I like doing it some but that big old kettle takes up lots of room on my stove and I am always a bit nervous about that big kettle when it is filled with boiling water.

Today we went for a ride in the country and picked up some Northern Spy apples off our tree at camp. These apples store well and are great for making apple pies which are my favorite. Then comes cherry and peach, and pumpkin pies. Anyways the day was beautiful and we had a good time visiting with the neighbors.

But it was good to get back home before dark and get back here to visit with all of you. :)

Yeah be careful with those vats Sweedy, im always nervous of anything breakable or spill-able as im such a clumsy clutz.
I had a very good weekend.
I went to the In-laws Saturday afternoon and spent a few hours chatting away, i rally haven't seen enough of them this summer. Then I had an event to attend, My old Boss and good friend is getting marries in February so we had a little informal get together. I got lost getting there so I had quite the adventure. half the people attending were friends to me and the other half I didn't know. Korean Grill house - first time i'd ever been to one of those deals. It was so good to catch up and we all made promises to make a better effort in keeping in touch. Then it was back to the In-laws who were kind enough to let me stay the night so i didn't have to drive home in the dark for over an hour.
Once i did get home I made the most of the good weather sorting some plants and areas in the garden despite being so stiff i could hardly walk- the worst was my hands but I still tried my best to keep them busy hoping they would loosen up.. they didn't, made it really interesting trying to eat with knife and fork when your thumbs refuse to be as intended - Apposable_!
luckily my hands were behaving a bit better today for work thank goodness.
Goodnight me lovelies and have pleasant dreams

Today was my lazy day. I watched a few movies and paid some bills. Then I fried up a batch of potatoes and fried four eggs. Two for me and two for my mom. I had a few green italian tomatoes left so I cut them in half and boiled them until cooked. They are good with a bit of salt and butter. Then I baked an apple pie using my apples, and then hauled mom's share of the food to her.

Came home and had lunch and then a neighbor gave me some flower roots and bulbs to plant. Got that done it was easy, and raked and swept my walkway and came in to rest for the evening. It is nice having lazy days to recover from all the stressful days. Maybe I will be lazy again tomarrow, it is suppose to rain. lol See you later.. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back