Reason
Relative
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
TN
For those recently diagnosed, how long were you on your meds before you starting noticing results? How long do you wait when you feel strange side effects from the meds before you decide you need to change meds, or if the side effect is normal and will either go away, or you need to get used to it?

Well, I was put on Cymbalta, and within the first couple of days I noticed really bad side effects and it didn't help my pain at all. I stayed on it for 13 days before getting off of it cold turkey because it made me feel so completely dead. I hated it. I tried many doctors, but the only doctor to help me is a naturopath who specializes in nutrition and chronic illnesses. So I abandoned all medication and successfully turned to natural healing through herbs, supplements, diet, and treatments. It's a very slow process. I've been following his regimen since November, and I'm gradually getting better, but I am getting better with no side effects. I'm so much better off now than I was in November.

It's a complex set of questions, because each medication is different, so is the reaction to said medication for each patient. Some people might or might not experience some side effects listed as common, while others will surely do it. Others might not experience the most common ones, but might experience the rare ones. It's all about your body chemistry... that's why some meds don't work for certain people, while for others they do.

That being said... side effects can be felt or seen anytime... No way to tell for sure when! As for when you should notice improvement... well, if after 6 months you notice no improvement, then it's very likely the medication isn't having any effect and is time to move into the next one. It's all about trial and error.

My doctor tried me on many combinations. The best so far was Cymbalta. The first 4 weeks were horrible, adjusting the the chemical balance change in my brain. I've been on it for over 2 years now and am down to only the Cymbalta. All of my other pain killers are gone, if I have a really bad day a Tylenol is all I need. There are some side effects, though I find I tend to only have one or two happen at a time and it only lasts for a few days to a week then clears up. Before actual relief it was about 6 months to feel normal.
My doctor also referred me to a dojo that specialized in Tai Chi for people with injuries and pain. The process is relaxing to help with the stress I had from the pain and from the side effects/changes in the medications. I also noticed the more time I spent practicing, the fewer my really bad days were. It is a trial and error process for the medications. I normally say give your method at least 3-6months for a fair trial unless you have adverse reactions. I almost quit the Cymbalta and am so glad I stuck out the bad beginnings.

My cousin who has the disease was on Lyrica and Savella for three months. Later the doctor moved him to Cymbalta for a week, and he didn't notice significant results. Later he was moved to Tylenol and it was quite good, and the pain was manageable. He tried a variety of exercises and after which he noticed improvements in his health, and hygiene. He does not have any adverse reactions to any of the meds and is off medication for a while now. Hopefully the results will sustain.

I waited two to three months to see if the medication would work before requesting changes. Every medication recommend for Fibromyalgia that I was prescribed drained the life out of me. I found myself in so much pain crying on the inside with nothing coming down my face. Feeling like a zombie with no pain relief is the reason why I would change my medications. I would rather be in pain and try and find ways to deal with it, like limiting how long I do certain activities then be a real life zombie.

For me, I am willing to wait and give a med time to work for pain relief but there are certain side effects I won't tolerate. If a med causes mood swings or agitation/irritability I won't wait, I will come off of it right away regardless of how it is managing my pain. For instance, Cymbalta works for many people but the side effects were instant and intense for me so I could not take it. On the other hand, Gabapentin makes many people very drowsy when they first start taking it but this is a side effect I was willing to wait out and it turned out to work very well for me within a week at each dosage increase.

My friend has been diagnosed with it, first she was in denial, but now she is accepting it , it is now 6 months, sometimes it gets real hard for her, but through support groups, she is getting by well.

I totally understand your friend, determined. I was in denial for years and some days I still feel do... actually as soon as I feel well I start to doubt my diagnosis. Then the pain strikes and I go back to my senses. Not easy to accept this kind of things, not at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back