Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
03/1995
Country
CA
State
British Columbia
I am wondering if chronic fatigue, and fibromyalgia are the side affects of having the herpes virus. A few years ago, I was diagnosed with herpes virus and was very shocked. I didnt know I had it. I must have had it for 20 years, given to me by my previous husband. I was not in a relationship at the time so could not have contracted it sexually etc.

I must have had it about as long as my first symptoms of fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue started. I do notice that I get stabbing abdominal pain and very emotional just before a herpes outbreak. Also my fibromyalgia seems to be worse etc. So I am just wondering if those of us who suffer this also may have herpes and this is a side affect. I know many people have herpes and don't even know it. Then again maybe I have 2 different illnesses and one just makes the other worse. It is something to think about, and maybe gives us an answer to why we are afflicted with all this pain. Anyone else think this could be possible or have this affliction?

It seems that any type of emotional or physical health problems can set off the start of fibro. While our symptoms may be alike the reasons for why it started seem to be widely varied. So the fact that you consider your fibro to be brought on by herpes is totally logical. Some talk of emotional problems and others car accidents or viruses......the list is endless in pinpointing a cause or reason behind fibro, but one thing we are all sure of is that it hurts and it steals productive lives.

I am glad you brought up this question. I hope other members will voice their opinions on this subject. :)

You should Google fibromyalgia and herpes; there are actually many articles about the research that has been going on for years correlating fibro/me/cfs with the multiple types of the herpes viruses... I recently read about a 2nd trial about to start using a combination of 3 medications (including an antiviral) that supposedly helped approx 90% of participants in the 1st study... Personally, I don't think that this is/could be the only cause of fibro/me/cfs due to the numerous variety of symptoms etc, but it certainly is a possibility that this could be a cause to some people's chronic pain and fatigue problems...

Researchers are also currently working on a blood test that looks for protein molecules called chemokines and cytokines, which are produced by white blood cells, the study shows that fibro suffers have a very low count of these and therefore have a weaker immune system. The study also states that people diagnosed with lupus and rheumatoid arthritis also have these 'bio markers', but the blood test in question so far shows that fibro patients actually have lower amounts that lupus or RA patients do... You can also Google this, many of us have probably already seen the claims of a fibromyalgia blood test and saw the prices listed and thought it was a scam due to many Dr's saying no such thing exists and that it can't be possible because they (researchers) "wouldn't even know what they were looking for anyways, so don't buy into that, they're just trying to scam you" yes, I've asked Dr's and one actually told me that even with the printed information in hand..... Oh how ignorance is bliss I suppose? Lol

I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia after 2 horrible car accidents... Personally, I have never felt like this was my actual or full diagnosis... My Dr's have, over the past several months started looking in to Crps aka complex regional pain syndrome which used to be called RSD reflex sympathetic dystrophy. I have started to think that I may not actually have fibromyalgia to be honest... As I have chronic pain and muscle spasms, and a couple other symptoms that correlate to both crps and fibro, however, I don't have a lot of the main fibro symptoms that a vast majority of fibro sufferers share... I have been feeling as if the Dr who had diagnosed me with fibromyalgia just didn't know what to do with me and he has suggested crps but won't do any of the possible diagnostic tests (not like there's something that definitely says yes you have crps lol but there are more specific tests that when combined together lead to the diagnosis, instead of just 18 tender points and 3+ months of pain....) so I am currently pursuing the proper channels to figure out if I have crps now....

My reason for sharing this here, instead of on a new thread which I will do later, is because I strongly believe that there may be some or many people diagnosed that have been misdiagnosed.... Since a lot of drs have not educated themselves about fibro or the current research being done, the lack of factual information about the 'syndrome or disorder', more specific diagnostic criteria, and some still think it is in the patients head, I truly believe that we will come to find in time that some fibromyalgia diagnosed patients may not truly have fibro /cfs/me.... If they can continue the research on both the connection between viruses and fibro (even other possible causes not related to the herpes viruses) and also the blood testing, we may find that a lot of drs might finally wake up and smell the roses! And we chronic pain sufferers as a whole, with or with out fibro/cfs/me, can take a stand to the non believers and say, "just because we look healthy and you can't physically see our pain, doesn't mean it's not real, AND WE HAVE PROOF!" wouldn't that be a wonderful and empowering thing!?!?! Oh to be hopeful.

I would be glad to send links to the information I've found to anyone interested, just private message me since no links are allowed on threads. And no, I'm not a spammer or advertising.... I research quite frequently because I want to stay informed and know everything about everything. (I guess you'd call that a know-it-all? But I swear I'm not! Lol) I am just sick and tired of not having definite answers, as I think most of us feel that way sometimes! Lol

Anyways, I will make a new thread about my crps/RSD journey incase anyone is interested...

Hoping and wishing everyone pain free days ahead! =]

Sorry to hear you are going thru this, daleo! I know what is like to feel extremely emotional, lately I have been like that as well, but I don't think I suffer from any kind of herpes. I have never had an outbreak of herpes or anything like that, but I do believe that there are some diseases that might be really linked to fibro, one of them being depression. I have read depression seems to be a common factor among people with fibro, I often wonder if the people who suffer from fibro are just depressed because of it, or if the depression is making fibro worse and even causing it somehow?

As 1sweed said, chronic fatigue and fibro can be the result of multiple physical / emotional issues. I read many times about people who claim that their fibro or chronic fatigue stemmed from a virus and I personally believe it is possible. These people seem to have periods where they feel fine, followed by periods where they are home- bound, unable to lead a normal life. Some claim that a natural diet, special vitamins and alternative therapies (reiki, acupuncture etc) have helped them on their way to recovery/remission. Unfortunately many doctors I talked to were rather reluctant to accept that a virus, such as the herpes virus could be the cause of a chronic illness. Perhaps because it isn't easy to prove whether the virus is active or dormant, and also because most people have at some point contracted the herpes virus and they don't show any symptoms. Most doctors seem to prefer to focus on the majority of people.. which is why people who were affected by viruses have to find help in alternative medicine. To answer your question ; yes, it is possible that herpes virus was the catalyst for your fibro/cfs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back