Aspartame and splenda

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi -
I try not to use artificial sweetners and have also cut out sodas. I do slip every so often. I can't seem to tell a difference either way with the sweeteners but they are bad for you in general. However, I do notice that when I drink a soda, particularly a dark colored soda, I wake up with that burning in my lower back and down my left leg.....one of my original symptoms.

Don't know, but pretty sure I read all the horrible reports on both that they cause cancer, and other bad things. I wouldn't touch it with a 100 foot pole.

Hi there, Ginger! May I ask why you are still consuming aspartame? That thing is awful for your health, that sweetener has been forbidden in several European countries already. There are far better options in the market that don't cause any kind of side effect, for example sweeteners with 'Stevia''. Those sweeteners are great, there are several brands, but they are made with a herb that is very sweet. It's like the other sweeteners, but is actually way more natural than Splenda and Aspartame.
Trellium, good question. This is why. I began drinking diet pop years ago because of the calories in non-diet pop. I prefer the taste of a carbonated drink because it seems to clear my throat. I would appreciate ideas for what to drink that tastes good that is not just plain water. Oh....do you know how to use agave and stevia? Thanks

Ginger, try just plain seltzer water and add some lemon juice. It has the fizzy like soda, no calories, and the lemon gives it some pep. You might use a bit of other fruit juices if lemon is not your thing.

Artificial sweeteners stay in your body for a long time since they're not digestible. Even if you stop consuming them, it will take quite a while before you notice yourself improving. Do whatever you can to clean out the toxins from your body. Artificial sweeteners end up getting stored in your fat along with other toxins because the body has no way of digesting them, and fat is the hardest thing to clean out of your body. I highly recommend purging your body by sweating as much as possible. I use a far infrared sauna 3-4 times a week (I bought one of the $200 portable ones) It's not nearly as effective as the one my doctor has in his clinic, but it does get me sweating a lot. They're better than steam saunas because they can heat several inches deeper under your skin, melting more fat and drawing more toxins from deeper inside your muscles. Also, add lemon slices to your water and drink several extra glasses of it a day (though not with your meals because liquid can dilute the food you eat and make it really hard to absorb nutrients from it.)

Purging ALL sugar from my diet has done me wonders - no more fibromyalgia as long as I have NO sugar in my body! I don't eat any fruit, honey, or raw sugar. None at all. I'm under doctor supervision doing this, and you may not need to be as extreme as me. I strongly recommend cutting all sugar from your diet for 2 weeks and see if you notice any improvement. You might be addicted to sweeteners, which will make this extremely challenging for you. Start by cutting all soda, then after several days cut all desert too, then after several days cut all refined flour too, and then after several days cut fruit too. After that, stop eating anything with added sugar - coffee creamer, whole grain bread, pickles, soup, "conventional" meat (yes, it often has added sugar in the tenderizing process, so go for grass fed instead,) and the like. If you can do this for just 2 weeks, you should be able to tell if sugar is causing a major problem for you or not.

Last edited by a moderator:
I enjoy this forum so very much. You have such good advice for me. I have not thought of purchasing seltzer water. So I will try it.

Trellium, good question. This is why. I began drinking diet pop years ago because of the calories in non-diet pop. I prefer the taste of a carbonated drink because it seems to clear my throat. I would appreciate ideas for what to drink that tastes good that is not just plain water. Oh....do you know how to use agave and stevia? Thanks

Hi Ginger! I know what you mean! I was really fond of carbonated drinks and missed them greatly once I decided it was time to stop drinking them (I have a hormonal conditions that needs me to watch my carbs and sugar intake in general).

You can find Stevia-based sweeteners in most grocery stores. So they come packed in small bags and they give a way nicer taste to things... better than Splenda. I'm happy with Stevia's flavor actually, it's so natural and not so chemical! You will like it!

As for agave syrup... not sure about that one, I have never tried it :(

I never experienced that but I do as a general rule like cold drinks better than hot, except on really cold winter days. Are you old enough for change of life experiences? :) It could be the way one of your medications effects you, like an odd side affect.

I hope not! I'm only 34. I could be the medication, I suppose, I just have no idea which one it would be (too darn many). When I was in the US (in late December) I was still ordering Frappuccino's at Starbucks. I often wondered how many others were ordering frozen drinks when the temperature was getting near freezing.

I drank no soda for almost a year and never stopped missing the carbonation. I tried the flavored Club Soda's and just couldn't do it. They tasted horrible. A couple days ago, I took a can of Club Soda, 2 packets of the Stevia I use, and Jamaica syrup. It was perfect. I'm going to try replacing the syrup with real Jamaica leaves to reduce the sugar but I'm happy I've found an alternative to Diet Coke. I don't much care for the taste of Mexican Diet Coke. I'll always love a good fountain diet coke though.

I have issues with sugar alternatives in the sense that I don't find them sweet at all. I require more Splenda than sugar to sweeten something. This brand of Stevia I found here in Mexico is nice because it's Stevia and real sugar (not a sugar alcohol or other product and Stevia like a lot of brands on the market) and I find it plenty sweet.

Artificial sweeteners stay in your body for a long time since they're not digestible. Even if you stop consuming them, it will take quite a while before you notice yourself improving. Do whatever you can to clean out the toxins from your body. Artificial sweeteners end up getting stored in your fat along with other toxins because the body has no way of digesting them, and fat is the hardest thing to clean out of your body. I highly recommend purging your body by sweating as much as possible. I use a far infrared sauna 3-4 times a week (I bought one of the $200 portable ones) It's not nearly as effective as the one my doctor has in his clinic, but it does get me sweating a lot. They're better than steam saunas because they can heat several inches deeper under your skin, melting more fat and drawing more toxins from deeper inside your muscles. Also, add lemon slices to your water and drink several extra glasses of it a day (though not with your meals because liquid can dilute the food you eat and make it really hard to absorb nutrients from it.)

Purging ALL sugar from my diet has done me wonders - no more fibromyalgia as long as I have NO sugar in my body! I don't eat any fruit, honey, or raw sugar. None at all. I'm under doctor supervision doing this, and you may not need to be as extreme as me. I strongly recommend cutting all sugar from your diet for 2 weeks and see if you notice any improvement. You might be addicted to sweeteners, which will make this extremely challenging for you. Start by cutting all soda, then after several days cut all desert too, then after several days cut all refined flour too, and then after several days cut fruit too. After that, stop eating anything with added sugar - coffee creamer, whole grain bread, pickles, soup, "conventional" meat (yes, it often has added sugar in the tenderizing process, so go for grass fed instead,) and the like. If you can do this for just 2 weeks, you should be able to tell if sugar is causing a major problem for you or not.

Woah... I think I need to do this to control my sugar issues. Would you mind to tell us what things you eat on an average day? I heard there are a lot things that contain a lo sugar, even salad dressings! I was wondering... what kind of diet would I need to follow in order to cut sugar from my diet. Not easy tho, since I'm addicted to it, but I suffer from insulin resistance and if I'm in fact pregnant... my doctor told me I might get gestational diabetes. It'd be cool if you could tell us more about your diet :) I'm really interested!

I would keep a journal, and rotate your foods every four days, according to their food groups, soft drinks included. It's one way to find out what will irritate you condition. However, that being said, please do some research on aspartame. I think, whether it causes pain of not, it's def not good for anyone. If just one of those research reports citing the dangers of aspartame have just a small bit of truth, it's still very dangerous to the human body. It's a good idea to journal and rotate foods, to learn which ones are triggers for pain, bloat and exhaustion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back