Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
00/2015
Country
CA
State
ON
Hi Everyone, I am new to the forum. I want to share my story with you and find out if anyone has had a similar experience.
I have lived with bad anxiety off and on since I was a child, but after the birth of my son in October 2013 my whole life turned upside down.
I had a fine pregnancy... no major pain or discomfort... only migraines in the third trimester. My birth experience was traumatic though as I had a few complications. My epidural didn't take during the delivery and the placenta didn't separate on it's own causing a bad hemorrhage. I felt okay in the hospital the day after I had my son, but when I woke up at home on the second day I felt horribly ill. I was weak and could hardly stand up, I was hot and cold, confused, achy and had pain everywhere.
My midwives thought that I was ill from the blood lost and suggested I take iron supplements for a few weeks which I did... I had my blood checked for various things including thyroid, other hormones etc. And everything came back normal except for a weakly positive ANA which I was told is normal in some individuals so they weren't concerned.
I suffered for months with bad anxiety because of my state and struggled to care for my son. When I woke up in the mornings I was so stiff I could hardly move with pain everywhere.. burning and aching in my back, hips, legs and feet, upper back, neck and arms. When I would hold my son everything would hurt and I was always exhausted.
I saw a Rheumatologist fairly early on after my pregnancy and she told me that hormones can do this and things should return to normal. She said to try to get exercise and improve my sleep etc. etc.
I suspected that I might have had fibro, but I was determined to become well again and did everything within my power to help myself. I saw every chiropractor, massage therapist, osteopath, naturopath etc. that I could in order to get to where I am today. Which is still not particularly great, but at least I can function from day to day.
I took an unpaid extended leave from work after my mat leave because I was finally diagnosed in May and I attempted to return to work when my son was 18 months. I had a really difficult time because of my symptoms and I ended up on part time disability gradually increasing my hours to build up a "tolerance" to be able to do my job as an early childhood educator. My job is super physically and emotionally demanding and I can barely make it through 4 hours before my body is telling me "I'm done." It is very frustrating!
I don't want to be like this! And I struggle day to day to accept this "thing". I am still determined to "fix" it and feel like myself again. This just brings on more depression, because I go back and forth between accepting this and fighting it. I want to enjoy life again, have another child and have some energy back, but some days I just feel so distressed that I don't know where to turn.
I wonder if anyone else has developed fibro after the birth of their child? I have read that it is possible, but I haven't spoken to anyone who has had a similar experience. I came here because I feel like I just need to find support. To find people who can relate to what I am going through. Anyhow, I'm looking forward to joining in on the conversations. Nice to meet all of you!

Welcome, ai don't think u have Fibro after the birth. I think u already had it.its just the the birth kicked it off,
I have a 3 year old.ive had Fibro years.anyway my pregnancy made mine go away till she was 3 months old .now I'm bad where I was.
It takes years to come to terms with.so don't beat yourself up to hard.one day at a time as my grandma would say.
Look to far ahead is way to depressing because we are guessing at thing that may not happen x

I have to agree with Forgetmenot;

You most likely had this before giving birth.

YOU ARE NOT CRAZY. It does take sometime to get a handle on what helps and what was a waste of time/money.

Probably the hardest is to accept your new limitations-what the heck are they anyway? Some days I can do one thing and the next time it puts me under. You can adapt and become very creative.

What do you do for yourself that you have found to help? I used to tell my girls when they were younger, concentrate on what you CAN do, not on what you can't.

Hope to hear from you again!

Of course severe birth trama can trigger fibro! I know... I had a very tramatic experience giving birth with no doctor present until the last second. My daughter couldn't have been born without the doctor there to turn her around and by then i was severely ripped open completely with no pain relief at all. The doctor actually said, " I don't know how I am going to fix this!" After that i developed Fibro more and more with each new pregnancy. I knew i was pregnant with my fourth child because of the tremendous increase in pain two weeks in. It was too early to say I was pregnant, but i knew the signs. I always thought I had fibro as a child like my son, but I now know it was CFS i had all that time, no pain just everything else. If someone can say a broken ankle gave them fibro, why be so quick to judge someone else's tramatic experience.

No I'm not I've had four kids to,I no how painful birth is, my second son got stuck to. And I'm sure it can and does do it . But what I mean is it has to be there waiting in the wings so to say.if u understand .x

I'm so sorry your going through this. I gave birth to my son 19 years ago, nothing has been right since then. I accidentally got pregnant 6 months later and miscarried at 17 weeks, at first I told myself everything was wrong because I hadn't recovered from my son, but things not only never got better, they just kept getting worse, at first doctors said it was "hormones" then 16yrs of frustration/pain/tears/never ending medical bills followed. I believe if I didn't have a child to care for I would have given up. God gave me the greatest gift with a wicked curse, knowing the blessing would carry me through. (Proof he knows what he's doing!) looking back, I'm pretty sure I've been plagued with fibro my whole life, I just didn't realize what why I slept more then others, had trouble remembering short term, concentration, got weird symptoms and side effects...pregnancy just brought out more obvious enough problems. It took a mold infested house and a car wreck to "finish" me off, putting me in such severe pain I could barely move. Sent from doctor to doctor (cat scans, x rays, mri's) I should glow gree!

I guess what I would like for you to take from this is its not fair, it does stink in many ways, I won't try to take that from you or anyone, we are entitled to that potty pill anytime we feel overwhelmed and don't feel guilty for letting it occasionally sneaking up on you. But hears the good news...1) you have a wonderful new baby to love and love you, 2) you don't have to spend the next several years waiting your time, money and effort being told your crazy/depressed hypochondriac 3) there are treatments that help if not work 4) you never know when science may find the cure. I'm sure there are many, many more reasons to celebrate knowing now rather then later. I'ld love to hear more.
I hope this helps in some way. Gentle hugs to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back