Reason
Undiagnosed
Diagnosis
4/2016
Country
CA
State
ON
Hi all, I have been suffering from various disorders for years (like asthma, body pain, depression etc ). I have been on a psychiatrist for my depression and have planned to start treatment, next week for body pain (especially pain on the hip and neck). I just have been diagnosed with Fibromyalgia and have been prescribed Gabapentin on an increased dosage by my doctor. Is the body pain and depression a part of Fibromyalgia? If so, can I stop consulting the psychiatrist and cancel the next week’s appointment with the physician? I need to know more about this from experienced people. Thank you.

No Links Allowed.

Last edited by a moderator:
I imagine all of us here have some degree of body pain. Well, I don't know if depression is a symptom of fibro, or just a result of it (I mean, how can it not be, eh?). I get depressed over my health and other situations resulting from it, but I just find ways to deal (a good cry, read, talk to a friend). I think the decision to stop seeing either medical professional should somewhat be based on your symptoms. If you have just been upped in meds, maybe it's a good idea to see them both next week so they can see how you are adjusting?

Hoping someone with more experience answers : )

I would say be careful about canceling appointments. If things are not going well in your life then you need to continue seeing your doctor and the psychiatrist. This illness causes so much stress and depression, from loss of lively-hood and health, and even loss of friendships and family members. If you have a good family doctor and psychiatrist, your very lucky. After I lost my ability to work and this awful muscle weakness and nasty doctors who told me it was all in my head, I willingly went for mental health help and it took me a few years to deal with it all and I am so glad now I stuck with it. Getting help does not mean your crazy it just means you are brave enough to seek the help you need to be mental strong and learn coping skills. Plus we are all here for you and will try to give plenty of back up support to help you on this journey.

So keep your appoints and visit here to let us know how your doing. I hope you will post more and really join in on the forum. There is lots of helpful information here and lots of great folks to make you feel at home. :)

Depression is a normal side effect often seen in people like us. Who wouldn't be depressed to be in pain most of the time? I've been dealing with chronic depression for a while, I've good and bad days, but when I am in pain my depression is much worse. If you feel your depression is too much to bear at times, then yes, I advice you to seek help. I didn't and almost ended up taking my life after being diagnosed with something else back in 2011. I'm ok now, I manage my depression without any meds... but I try to do things to keep my mind busy and exercise a bit.

Depression will go hand in hand with any illness that is life long,getting the pain under control is key. Easy said I no . And sleep real good sleep.we tend not to go into all stages of sleep, so maybe talk to your dr about that.

I don't think that you should cancel your appointment, as I think that it could still be very beneficial for you to go and talk through your issues, as this means that you would be able to try and get some answers, and some form of treatment. Having the support of a good doctor is a real help when it comes to this condition, and it should mean that you don't feel quite as much on your own as you might have done in the past.

I agree, we should not close ourselves, we should talk and be open to avoid depression.

Depression can definitely be a part of fibromyalgia. However, despite depression being a co-occuring condition or a symptom, you do need to find a way to cope with and treat your depression, so you should still see the psychiatrist. The body pain is definitely a symptom of fibromyalgia though, it is actually one of the primary ones, but you should update your doctor on any new symptoms, even if you just make a phone call.

Hello,
I've had depression for 20+ years and was just now diagnosed with fibro. I wonder if there is some connection with depression being first and then fibro? Please see your doc. You need to treat your entire self in order to live a better life.

Best of luck to you and take care.
Shelli

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back