Status
Not open for further replies.
Just a warning to anyone who has been inactive and has severe fibro be careful..i was successfully building up walking safely round my living room for 5 then 10 then 15 minutes...i added in going up and down stairs a few times and getting off a dining chair slowly in reps of 5 then 10...all of this only twice a day and slow and gentle...then suddenly both my knees above below inner side and through the centre are so rigid and painful i have now been hobbling for over 3 1/2 weeks and can barely walk.

I know so many of you are doing well and i definitely dont want to put you off..but really i wish i had just walked around doing my chores and enjoying the things i could achieve in my home and garden a little rather than actually exercise and now i am pretty much disabled again so cant do the little active and achieving things that help the day pass.

My knees have always been a weak area since i got fibro even when i was fit at the start so its not all from inactivity but of course it cant help! I'm so low as the pain in both is an 8 or 9 ( feels like 10)...and my feet and hips aren't much better...i'm so fed up with sitting around!

Anyway i hope you are all doing better than me .gentle hugs to all.

Last edited:
Diamond, I'm so sorry to hear this. You tried so hard to get back some muscle and now look what's happened! Hopefully, with some rest and ice (not the drug!) it will eventually settle down (and meanwhile, maybe take some turmeric to help settle down the inflammation?).
I would still do some passive 'range of motion' movement with your legs (on the bed every now and then) to lubricate the joints....otherwise they might stiffen further. Nothing fancy and stop if it hurts, of course.
Hugs to you....

Thanks peaceandquiet i really dont want to put others off...Ive have been trying to move a little regardless of the pain like you say i dont want to stiffen up more..thanks for replying. x

diamond, I am so sorry to hear this.
I know how discouraging that can be, because I have had similar problems, although not nearly as severe as yours, and I can do a lot more than you can for which I am grateful.
Definitely some gentle range-of-motion exercises are in order for your legs. And, while you are waiting for your knees to get better there are exercises that you can do while sitting down. If you google it you will find some.

There are even DVDs on chair exercises.
I sure do wish you luck.

Would you like to share the problems you've had sunkacola..no pressure of course it just might give me some hope as really i can hardly walk and if i do on rare occasion it feels possible the pain builds to being unable to stand within minutes.

I have a terrible fear of being disabled long term....and maybe so much inactivity now im never going to be able to walk much again...im not that old and its really causing me anxiety and i think depression now too.

Thanks for listening x

Diamond,

I just cannot do what I used to do or even close, and that is frustrating to me because I have always been able to work hard physically all day, hike mountains, and was a weight lifter.

I think that before you start any exercise program for yourself, it would probably be good to ask your doctor if he or she thinks that doing so will help or hurt your particular condition. If he thinks it will help, then ask him for suggestions on what to do.

I would emphasize starting very small, but building up steadily while doing it very very slowly.
Meaning, if you can do something twice today, do that the next two days, and then try three times. If you have bad effects, go back to doing it twice only. But do something every day that you are able to get up.

So, walking around your house or living room twice. then three times. Then maybe out to the road once, then twice. That kind of thing. I think if you build up very very slowly you will find you can eventually walk around the block and more. But slow and every day is the key. On a really bad day, go back to the living room walk, but do something every day.

My feeling is that the exercise will help keep you from becoming totally disabled. But I am not a doctor which is why my first advice is to consult one.

Also, have you tried physical therapy? I went for a few sessions, learned the exercises, and then could do them at home without having to drive there. That worked for me. :)

If you cannot walk one day, then do chair exercises. There is a great online place called Collage Video that sells DVDs of any kind of exercise you want to try, including chair exercises. You can read reviews, watch a clip of it online, and then even return it if you don't like it. I have gotten several DVDs from them.

Even people who are confined to wheelchairs benefit from exercise because it keeps the heart stronger.
B est of luck!!

thanks sunkacola....yes i was always very active too..fit and strong worked all day gardening cutting hedges ..climbing ladders,,,pilling the back of my vehicle to the brim and to and from to the skip all day with tree and shrub hedge trimmings....move piles of bricks . When i was young i was a competitive athlete..how things change ....i will keep trying.

My doctor has no idea or understanding of my severity of illness....i can understand why...exercise seizes me up and no one seems to get it to the degree i do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back