Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
05/2013
Country
UK
State
Lancashire
Does anyone else have a teenager that doesn't seem to want to do anything to help out? Getting realy frustrated with trying to get my daughter to help me out more, she doesn't seem to understand how this effects me sometimes. I try my best but can't get her to help, I've tried asking politley, blackmailing, bribing, but nothing seems to work. The back chat is getting beyond a joke now what ever happened to good old fashioned respect?:?::?::?::?::?::?::?::?::cry:

Would it help to cut off some of the things she is allowed to do, or things without your help she is unable to do? I don't have children and so I am limited on my advice, but when I was growing up we were alotted chores and all it took was a mean look from my dad and we toed the line. He never had to punish us as we were scared to annoy him for fear of losing his respect.

I understand what you mean about loss of respect. It makes me mad and sad at the same time. I was in a drugstore the other day and ask the clerk a few questions and he just stared at me and would not answer. Just jestered wildly with his arms on how to use the pay key. I add a notion to talk to his manager but was in a hurry. Next time, maybe........ Young people.......

May I ask her age? Do you have any help in enforcing household rules or are you on your own? I hope other members can offer you some ideas to help you with your problem. In the meantime I am glad your here and look forward to reading more of your posts. :)

My sister has the same issue... her teenager doesn't seem to understand her mommy's spine doesn't allow her to work too much. She actually had to retire to soon because of that. The only thing that has helped is pure discipline, yes, her teenager seems to be really upset right now, but hopefully once she grows she will understand. Dealing with teenagers is so bad, because most of them don't see things the way we do! She might be upset at first, but later on understand, don't be afraid to discipline her... you are the boss here! She MUST do what you ask her to do, since you are sick... but mostly because you are the mother!

Would it help to cut off some of the things she is allowed to do, or things without your help she is unable to do? I don't have children and so I am limited on my advice, but when I was growing up we were alotted chores and all it took was a mean look from my dad and we toed the line. He never had to punish us as we were scared to annoy him for fear of losing his respect.

I understand what you mean about loss of respect. It makes me mad and sad at the same time. I was in a drugstore the other day and ask the clerk a few questions and he just stared at me and would not answer. Just jestered wildly with his arms on how to use the pay key. I add a notion to talk to his manager but was in a hurry. Next time, maybe........ Young people.......

May I ask her age? Do you have any help in enforcing household rules or are you on your own? I hope other members can offer you some ideas to help you with your problem. In the meantime I am glad your here and look forward to reading more of your posts. :)
She's 14 going on 30.... Its been just me and her for 11yrs now. Me and her Dad divorced 11yrs ago, long story short we was together from me being 16 and was together 10 yrs before we split so its been hard bringing her up on my own. Don't get me wrong i've had support off my parents but they obviously can't be there all the time. I've tried the removing of items/treats, tried giving her chores to do, she just only ever does half a job if any at all, I've tried grounding her. I don't believe in hitting to get them to respect you as how can you respect someone thats hitting you?(thats another disscusion lol)I have not given her pocket money for a while now. She can be such a polite well manored young lady but it's only with other adults, its just me she has the problem with. When I was growing up I wouldn't of dared speak to my parents like she speaks to me, if I got a list of chores to do I did them without questioning or arguing. Her Dad doesn't help he's a waste of time. Short of sending her to my friends to stay for a week to show how easy she actually does have it, (my friend has ok'd this) I'm at a loss as to what to do, I'm struggling at work and when i get home I don't feel like having cleaning jobs to do and cooking and washing pots all the time (I'm a chef n thats all i do all day)

My sister has the same issue... her teenager doesn't seem to understand her mommy's spine doesn't allow her to work too much. She actually had to retire to soon because of that. The only thing that has helped is pure discipline, yes, her teenager seems to be really upset right now, but hopefully once she grows she will understand. Dealing with teenagers is so bad, because most of them don't see things the way we do! She might be upset at first, but later on understand, don't be afraid to discipline her... you are the boss here! She MUST do what you ask her to do, since you are sick... but mostly because you are the mother!
Thank you, think I prob just need to toughen up and be more assertive with her. Like you said she'll get over it, its not gonna kill her is it? lol xx

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back