Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
01/2001
Country
US
State
CA
I began having insomnia, headaches, diffuse body-wide pain and cognitive problems back in early 2000. By June of that year, I could only work a few hours per week at my senior analyst position at Siemens Power Corp, Nuclear Div. At year's end, with no diagnosis and unable to really perform my job, I took an enhanced severance package. I still believed that I would get a diagnosis and cure and then find another job (I had previously worked at NASA Langley in theoretical transonic aerodynamics).

Then in Jan of 2001, I went to Univ. of Wash. Medical Center which had a federally sponsored study of women with fibromyalgia. Even Though I had only presented with fibro symptoms for less than 9 months, I managed to get such a positive diagnosis (a full day of multidisciplinary tests), that they admitted me to the government study. Unfortunately, I lived over three hours' drive from Seattle and after two or three sessions, I was physically unable to continue the program (natural methods to control fibro symptoms in women).

At that time I was on 3600 mg of Neurontin (now generic Gabapentin). Neurontin helped with my pain especially in combination with Clonazepam (1 mg TID) and Trazodone (300 mg) for sleep. However, I could still not work even half time and the cognitive problems made any analyst position impossible. Reading everything available on the condition, I was disheartened at my future prospects. My worsening condition in combination with the medical establishment's lack of knowledge or even sympathy made life itself untenable.

By early 2003, I had lost everything; my job, my health, my material possessions (large house on property, 401K, car, ...), and my athletic abilities. I was on the streets and in shelters in Tucson, AZ for over two years before getting on SSID. That was only due to a resubmittal of my disability claim to "bi-polar II" which gave up my two year old fibro claim. The bi-polar claim was backed up by multiple inpatient stays in psych units for attempted suicide (for which I am NOT proud). It was only my faith in Jesus Christ that ultimately kept me alive (even when I desperately wanted to end it).

Anywaaaaaay, that is all past history. I am now a full-time care giver. first in Fort Wayne, IN (I hated the area), and now in Northern CA. Life hasn't been kind since getting on SSID but at least mostly bearable. I have gone over five years without being locked up (for my own safety, lol).

I have ramped up on each successive FDA approved fibro-med: Lyrica, Cymbalta, finally Savella. None has had the benefits that I still get from max-dose of Gabapentin. Furthermore, Gabapentin is still the cheapest on my Medicare Plan D coverage. I have also gone cold turkey off Trazodone (NOT suggested) and am glad to be off. Although I have for short periods gone without any benzodiazepines, I seem to do better with at least 1/2 mg Clonazepam BID.

I need specific information in a couple of areas, but will make those inquiries in topic specific forums. I hope to find; support, like spirits, information and also be able to support those who are new to this life-sucking malady!

Hi Red Sonja,
I am from Ft. Wayne but live in Columbia City now. I was diagnosed in July of 2014. I have fibro, polymyalgia, GERD, Normal pressure hydrocephalus, tinnitus, hypothyroidism, diastolic hypertension, restless leg syndrome, I think that is it. I take 1500 Mg of Gabapentin a day but do take extra on bad days which are more often. I had to stop my job as a certified medical assistant as I was making mistakes, getting tired and crying on my way home from the pain. I understand it. I filed for SSDI in September so I know I have a long wait and probably several appeals. I am really scared, I am about to lose my car, ( I don't drive much anymore or very far, I have anxiety issues when I am driving in places I am not familiar with and cannot drive at night.) Thankfully my husband has his retirement money from the army or we would be losing more than my car. I'm sorry I am venting and going on and on.....Do you have any advice for me?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back