Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
04/2016
Country
Mal
State
Negeri Sembilan
I'm going to take exam next week. Unfortunately I was barred for one subject. This is because my attendance did not reach 80%. It happened since I took 21 credit hours for this semester and I cannot afford it. Here, 21 credit hours seem like having class from 9 am to 6 pm with one hour gap in the afternoon. The work loads (assignment, report, project) and workshop make me tired and I fall sick most of the time. What makes me wonder, I gave reason letter plus medical report (slip disc) to all of my lecturers, but only one lecturer who did not approve. She said I look fine and just make excuses to not attending her class. Why should I do that? This sickness is invisible and it is terrible. I cannot prove to anybody that I'm sick. I went to many doctors but they also gave no help. Insurance here does not cover this kind of sickness and we got no crowdfunding webpage as certain countries have.

If you have doctor notes you can see the head of the school and explain what this teacher said to you.

There's no excuse for ignorance.

I'm sorry that happened to you. My daughter's Homebound teacher said the same thing. I ended up taking her out of school and putting her in virtual school so that it didn't matter anymore what teachers or doctor's thought. It's a huge problem with this illness. I'm impressed that you could take 21 hours. That's a lot!

I agree with forgetmenot - can you appeal to anyone higher up? Your professor is not a medical doctor and she should not be making medical judgements about your health.

Forgetmenot and DK engineer, thank you for the suggestions. I never thought of that option. I'll go and see our dean tomorrow. Gryfalcon, how old is your daughter? She must have been through alot since she needs to deal with her sickness, at the same time, dealing with prejudice people around her. I'm glad she has parent who understand and stand for her. Seriously, for us, having understanding and supportive family is blessing.

I'm so sorry you have to deal with mean people who basically call you a liar :( That is something I just can't stand, but sadly even in my country this happens a lot. I hope you can solve your problem by talking to the dean. Best of luck with everything :) I'm glad you come here to vent and talk with us, I still remember the tone of your first post, it seems you feel better now (emotionally). Good for you :)

Trellum, seriously I'm happier because of this group. Before this, I don't know where can I express my disappointment. Normal people could not understand my pain. Most of them think I just pretend sick since I look physically well. Here, I met people with same journey, same sickness. Even worse than mine. And here, people give you full support, advises to strive. It helps..really. :)

I remember your first post too..it really touched me. Hope all above advice helps with your exams...you should not be penalized for pushing through illness to study and i am impressed by your strength and determination.Good Luck appealing to someone higher up.

@ain_sofiah Check to see if your school has any sort of disability office. If not, they should have some sort of student affairs/social service personnel. Also, I don't know if your country/area has any sort of disability agency, but if so, you could contact them, and you may have legal rights. I've had to go through the process over the years to be excused from jury duty, as well as to learn the correct wording to use with a former supervisor who had planned to censure me for using the bathroom too frequently. I have Interstitial Cystitis, which was a documented invisible disability in the state where I was living. If he'd violated my rights, he could have been sued. If such offices/agencies don't exist, unfortunately, it may be an uphill battle, but perhaps you can find a local or regional group that you can work with to change the law, if such laws don't exist there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back