Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
02/2017
Country
UK
State
Scotland
Omg I can't believe how quickly I'm piling on weight just now! I had a bad flare over Christmas and New Year with flu on top of that and was off my work with sciatica. I managed to put on 2 stone in 2 weeks & that was me eating sensibly most of the time. My weight is still going up, I've put on another half stone on top of that! I'm not nearly as active just now, I work as a secretary sitting down most of the day & I watch what I eat probably half of the time, I eat healthy every day in work, it's mainly at the weekend I have no willpower. I wish I could get some motivation back but unless I limit my calorie intake to around 1000 a day I gain weight, quickly. :cry:

It sucks I know, I am at my heaviest as well, even though I really do my best to exercises, watch out what I eat etc. But I really try not to focus on it too much, try my best not to let it bring my mood down. I have enough going against me in life, so good food/comfort food is often the only thing I have.

It also has a lot of to do with age - I am almost 40, so we all know what that means for the female body. In the past, cutting back on food and adding some exercise into my life automatically meant weight loss.

I have spent years and years trying to say size 10/38, always on a diet, always stressing about it, doing this and that diet, all the fashionable exercises of the time etc. I once lost about 10 kilos/20 pounds in 4 months, the difference was huge, everyone complimented me on it, but honestly I did not feel any happier. Then once I was so sick that I wanted to eat, but could not. During that period I promised myself I would never cut back on food - eat everything, but of course in moderation. I have now accepted my muffin top, my size 14/42 belly and hips etc.

Do your best is all I can ever say...enjoy life, don't let it stress you out too much. Maybe try to find a new balance in life, and some acceptance comes a long way.

Ouch! Sciatica is the WORST for aiding in exercise lol I understand your troubles. Are you on a medication for fibro? That could be another culprit of the weight gain conspiracy. Hang in there. Keep doing what you're doing. It's the right thing. Keep us posted.

I gradually gained weight about 16 lbs in 18 months when my fibro had got so much worse and i have been housebound all that time and often in bed.

One day i though enough is enough and decided i would find a way to cut calories and stay full at the same time...i have always been slim but gained a few times as in pregnancy etc and pretty much know where to cut out what i call wasted calories.

It does take motivation and i have no idea quite where i got it as life is pretty much the worst mine has ever been, but in 3 months i did loose all the weight...but i also know how hard it is with fibro as the gaining was from lack of activity and like you vickythecat i felt food was often the only highlight of the day!

If anyone wants any tips i didn't go hungry and i didn't live on lettuce leaves....anyway one thing i think we all agree on is its hard and i know many of the meds cause increased appetite and weight gain. Mine don't so in that respect i've been lucky.

We loose so much with fibro and while not the priority its no fun that even with the weight gone my muscles are spongey when before even with fibro for 7 years they weren't too bad.

I dont think i will ever be able to exercise sufficiently to get them toned and strong as walking is hard for me pain and stamina wise these days. If i could i would love to get back in good shape.

Be kind to yourselves girls and guys we have so much to fight we cant do everything!

Thanks for your replies. I'm currently taking Codipar and Naproxen for pain and Amitriptyline to help me sleep, I'm not sure that any of those could have caused the weight gain. I was told by my GP that my thyroid isn't working very well but isn't quite at a level where I need medication yet. It sucks though, I can gain 4lbs in just a day!

Yes it must be meds a it would take about 14000 calories to gain 4 lbs in a day..but dont forget our weight fluctuates hour by hour and day by day depending on how heavy our meals and volume of drinks we consume and whether we have just LOL used the bathroom, so not actually fat gained!

I know i had gained about 7 lbs and kept starting diets, but would barely last a day before giving in as there seemed little point as my health was so awful.

So instead of loosing weight i was living in my comfy pjs and comfort eating..and just gradually gained more and more but trying to ignore it..then the bigger the task of loosing even more weight the more impossible it feels.

Now i am back down to around 126lbs it is more comfortable but like i said I'm not taking any meds that cause weight gain so much easier for me to shift the excess.

I have heard that some times thyroid can need meds even when test show not quite bad enough reading. I would have to research but from memory i believe sometimes there are different thyroid tests that give a fuller indication and that some doc try meds just from symptoms.

Maybe its worth checking this out and researching yourself.

I know amitriptyline can cause increased appetite and weight gain, maybe its worth a discussion with your doctor as i am sure they also would not want you to be gaining weight at such an alarming rate and could offer you advice and investigations as to why.

Good luck with all of it.

Last edited:
Thanks willow. I'll definitely mention it to my GP next time I'm there. I'm trying to avoid going again when I've been at my GP so much lately. I'm feeling really deflated just now with pain & have got a lot of personal stuff going on, feeling fat & frumpy isn't really helping ��

i just looked up a site called thyroid UK that explains all the different thyroid tests and the ranges that are acceptable..may be you could print it off and take it to your doctors ..it might help get one thing ruled out more accurately...i think on the NHS they just do 1 basic test.

good luck i know how 'personal stuff' also affects our wellbeing and fibro can be worse as a result. Take care

Thanks willow. I had TFT done & the results came back abnormal then it was repeated and the results were just okay so my GP decided just to watch & wait. I've made an appointment next week to see what my GP recommends, it's a vicious circle, the more weight I'm carrying, the more it's putting pressure on my knees but I need the meds to help me sleep & dull the pain a little.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back