Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
11/2013
Country
US
State
OH
Hi everyone! As I began this new journey of accepting I have fibro, I noticed that there really isn't any face-to-face support groups in my area. Is this common in most areas? I understand because of the unpredictable nature of fibro can make it very difficult to plan and attend meetings but I believe there is an extreme need for anyone affected by fibro to have community support. I appreciate the on-line forum and its much easier to access but nothing beats looking someone in the eyes as they tell you they understand what you are going through. Does anyone know how to go about starting a face-to-face support group?

I would suggest you contact the National Assoc. for Fibromyalgia, you can find them quickly by doing a web search for nfra. Another idea is to call a local support group for any disease and ask them how to get started. I remember when I was in Florida, I had to travel three counties away just to attend a meeting, so I think your idea is a wonderful idea. Maybe other members can help you with this project much more than I can.
Good Luck! :)

That's a wonderful idea 1sweed! I've been thinking of starting a support group as well, my doctor told me I should start one, since we don't really have a lot support groups focused to any kind of disease. Most of the support groups here are either for alcoholics, sex addicts, neurotics or overweight people. I wish they at least had a support group for people with a lot pain (no matter what disease) who also suffered from depression (who wouldn't in a situation like this, right?).

Best of luck, Crystal! I hope you can start a support group and help a lot people in your area!

you could rent a hall and advertise. i am sure there would be people in your area just like you hoping for an in person support group. it takes just one to get the ball rolling.

good luck, Denise

What a great idea to start a local group! I haven't heard of any groups for fibro in my area, but I do know how some other groups have been started.

We have a weekly shopping paper that is free to pick up at many local businesses. Running an ad in it is very inexpensive... well under $10 unless it's terribly wordy. When someone is trying to start a group, the ad will say something like "Interested in starting a local support group for -whatever the cause-. Please call xxx-xxx-xxxx if interested and we can decide on a location for an initial meeting."

Even if it's just 2 or 3 people at the first meeting, it often grows from there. Let us know how this worked out for you if you start a group. There's nothing at all to lose except a few dollars to run that first ad.

Oh, and for free there are also bulletin boards at grocery stores and shopping places where ads like that can be tacked up.

Thank you all so much for your advice...I really feel strongly that this is something needed. The fibro population is growing but support and education is something that isn't available. We suffer in silence with no real genuine support. Our family, friends, doctors, and therapists can only do so much because they don't fully understand how you can't get out of bed because you hurt so bad or why you can't sleep at night. Someone can be supportive of another person but someone who has to struggle with this disease daily has a completely different prospective. Thanks again everyone....I hope you have a pain free day!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back