Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
10/1988
Country
US
State
Maryland
I have been looking for a good forum for quite some time now and very happy to have found this one!

I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia after the birth of my first child in 1988, I was 20 years old - however - I have suffered from this pain as early as my pre teen years. It didn't start out with the widespread deep ache but with hypersensitivity in my upper arms that I originally contributed to my brother punching me all the time when we grew up together. If the slightest pressure was applied anywhere around my deltoid or triceps the pain was unbearable and brought me to tears. Some time after the birth of my son the deep aches began.

The pain of a cramp without the tightness of the muscle, that is one of the best ways I can describe a flare up to me. It starts off small and gets worse with each passing second, until I position my affected limb in an awkward position which gives me some relief. For example my recent flare up has been affecting my right shoulder/arm and I can relieve the pain if I twist my arm so that the back of my hand rests on the top of my head. Another area that I have real issues with is my left hip down to my knee. When I get a flare there I can't stand or walk at all. Sometimes I can relieve the pain by curling myself into the fetal position but this pain is the worst because it's harder to get relief. I have been fortunate enough to get relief from OTC Acetaminophens, but recently I have found that the pain is returning before the four hour mark to take meds again. I am really trying to avoid narcotics...I have a friend who relies on them to control her pain and I really want to hold off going there as long as I can. I have used them in the past but only in extreme circumstances. I currently take 60mg of Cymbalta but take a break from it every so often to avoid the side effects.

As for my muscle soreness, what started out in my deltoids and triceps have now spread across every muscle in my body. There is not one area you can touch that I don't feel discomfort from. I became a grandmother a year ago and holding my granddaughter in my arms while she wiggles around is extremely painful for me. My husband has to hug me as if he is hugging an egg. I had reduction surgery to relive the pain I was feeling from my bra straps on my shoulders - another issue I have is the sensation of my muscles burning or tingling. Fibro has flared in my sleep often, and if it's in a joint area I absolutely cannot move it at all without screaming.

As of late Fibro has just taken over my body. It's difficult to get out of bed in the morning and very difficult to move around, I feel like I've been hit by a truck and rolled down a concrete hill. I have been dealing with Achilles tendonitis for over a year now and I have been told that the lack of healing could be due to the fibro. I am seeing a new doctor in December and hopefully find a new regime I can put into place that will make me feel better soon.

My aunt (actually 2nd cousin) had Fibromyalgia and it eventually restricted her to a bed. That WILL NEVER be me! That's why I'm here, there is so much more I need to learn and I really need the support of others.

Sorry for the long rant, but I needed to get all that off my chest! :-D

Thank you!
Dejaye

Hi Dejaye nice to meet you and thanks for sharing your story with us.

You have had this illness along time. I am only 8 years in and am pretty worn out age 55.

You sound as if your fibro has been progressively getting worse and i have found the same. I have the left hip down to the knee amongst all my severe areas and it prevents me walking much too except just about getting around the house.

I managed for years without taking much medication but recently gave in to codeine but to be honest it is no miracle fix and within 3 months does very little to help.

It is scary to know your cousin ended up restricted to bed and i can understand you want to do everything to make sure that doesn't happen.

There are so many nice people who all deal with fibro in different ways and have success with a whole variety of approaches.

You can ask and share anything anytime. Feel free to vent and get things off your chest as we all really do understand.

Welcome. I'm with you on the staying out of bed front.ill crawl before I go to bed.
Sounds like a massif flare your in,poor u ,no one can tell u how long your stay in one .im on mess id never get through the day if I did t,
Glad u found us I hope we can at lest share your pain x

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back