Other
Diagnosis
06/2011
Country
US
State
NY
Hi,

Just got back from the dr, and she said my A1C was elevated.

Wondering if anybody else with Fibro has had elevated A1C's??

When I was reading about Fibromyalgia and Diabetes.It said that a person with Diabetes is four times more likely to get Fibromyalgia then the regular public.That was surprising to me.

I do have to start eating better.I'm not doing a lot of exercise because of the fatigue from the Fibro.And I have to start eating more greens, which I haven't lol.

Excercise helps keep your blood sugar levels stable,prevents heart attacks and strokes.
They recommend at least 15-20 minutes of light aerobic excercise three times weekly.

Researchers are still trying to figure out how Fibromyalgia is linked to Diabetes. Diabetes is an autoimmune disease and Fibro has not been labeled that as yet.

I never really had to think about Diabetes. And this doesn't mean I have it eaither.

It just got me to think more about how I have to take more care of my body.

Sagey

Hi Sagey, I'm an insulin dependent type 2 diabetic with Fibro. I think I've had Fibro since the birth of my first child in 1992, although, I was only diagnosed with it in September 2015. I had gestational diabetes during my pregnancy with my second child in 1995. I was diagnosed with type 2 in 2004.

As an interesting point for discussion my Aunt has Fibro after suffering for many years, she was diagnosed approximately 15 years ago, her Father and younger brother were/are type 2 diabetics. One of my sisters has Fibro diagnosed about 2013 and my brother has lots of Fibro symptoms but has yet to see a doctor. Another sister had gestational diabetes. I feel there is a genetic link between Fibro and Diabetes. I also wonder if there is a link with Psoriasis has anyone got any ideas on this??

I had a blood test done last week and honestly I did not know what AC1 was. I looked it up now and my levels are within the margin. It is 5.2, so I am wondering how high was your level? I am asking this because different countries have different margins for blood tests.

Lifestyle changes are key to healthy blood levels, especially levels for diabetes and cholesterol. I try to eat very healthy (duh - I am a vegan), but due to fatigue I do often tend to go for the easy foods, and not many fresh veggies and fruits lately. But worse, is the inability to exercise. I have fibro for 4 years now and for the first 3 years, I was able to exercise and keep a healthy active lifestyle (nothing exaggerated, I walk and do basic yoga moves, nothing more) But these last 3 months, I am so tired that I either walk for 10-15 minutes only, or I don't have the energy at all. I miss my walks very much because they are also my 'mental health' medicine. Walking is the best medication and I hate how fibro is stopping from doing what is so good for me.

So yes, we hear it over and over again and they are right. Exercise, and healthy eating are key to everything.

Now tell fibro that as well, and demand that it stops us from being so exhausted that we cannot even come close to that lifestyle no matter how motivated we are! I hate fibro so much!

Hi Chri55y,Vicky

My level was 5.8 and the max is 6.5 if I'm remembering correctly.The Dr said she was going to repeat it in a couple of months.She was concerned because it was on an upward trend.

It got me nervous, because like many of us we have multiple diagnosis. You don't realize that going from active to sedentary can change your health.

And although a lot of our health can be related to what we do.As Chri55y said above,a lot has to do with our genetics.Chri55y Im sorry that so many people in your family have Fibromyalgia.I definitely believe it is passed in the genes like so many diseases.

I wasn't aware of the link with Diabetes until I was reading about it the other day. It's good to read about each other because we can learn a lot from everyone's experiences.

Hope everyone is having less painful days!

Sagey

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back