Working Or Not, What Type of Work?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I work in an office at a desk. My work is really what aggravates the fibro but I just have to resort to ice packs plus pain meds if I have a major flare up. Work are pretty good, and they sent me for a occupational physio appointment and we went tested a load of equipment that may go some way to ease my discomfort. I have a special chair which provides good support for my back (my posture was shocking becuase I was over-compensating on one side due to the pain, but didn't even realise it!), I have special evoluent mice too. I also try to take a break from my keyboard every hour.

I've just accepted that there will be times when I am in pain. I try to manage it as best I can. Things are pretty good right now (touch wood)!

Back in the days when I was working I did housecleaning for many people. As my illness got worse I dropped one job after another until I had no work at all. I tried doing craft shows and yard sales, and made a bit but not much to live on. But it made me realize how much fibro robs you of the things you enjoy doing and the things you get paid for doing.
I do crafts and baking, sewing and babysitting sometimes.

So my question is if you work, what kind of work do you do?
And if you are not working do you do hobbies or babysitting, or anything to earn pocket change?

How badly do you think that fibro has ruined your life and your families lives?
Hello Im new to the site but not to Fibro - I have been diagnosed for about 7 years or so. I'm still working but it takes most everything out of me - I'm not moaning I like my work. I work as a learning disability nurse with people with LD, mental health and challenging behaviour - in the back ground Ive been studying so I can do a similar but less hands on job. I work 3 shifts a week (23 hours)including rotational nights which really mess me up especially with my sleep and meds. I worry about my Fibro and how it influences my job and decisions around my career. Working three shifts a week is some weeks all I can manage and the rest of the week is lost. I notice fog and I need to rely on notes and lists especially at meeting when I have no idea what they are talking about or what I need to say ! In the last three months I have been attacked twice by patients at work and this is where I think my Fibro reacts the most - the injuries hit me hard and my body just can not recover from them quickly enough compared to someone else. Im kind of afraid that at some point someone will say I cant do my job because of the - but Ill put up a metaphoric fight if they do - I love being a nurse. Im a bit down at the moment cause Im off work - I was attacked about 10 days ago and is has left my batteries on empty and my pain on high .... Hope you're all good - sun shinning here today so cant all be bad - anyone else new and in the North West of the UK Lynn

I worked up until 3 months ago doing data processing for a non profit organization that dealt with at risk youth. My boss tried so hard to help me and let me work from home sometimes but the more medications they put me on the harder it was as I started making mistakes. I was devastated when she had to let me go after a 2 week problem with my first TPIs that kept me in bed. I want so bad to find a way to work from home and help my family financially but am afraid of all the scams out there. I would love more information on how eBay works or any other ways that could help me.

Valerie

When I feel well enough, I work as a substitute paraprofessional with the local school district. I'm either in a Special Needs classroom or with ECE children, who are so very dear to me.

I seek more, though. I provided ghost blogging for a cosmetics and skincare blog several years ago, but the client became extremely demanding and, as you all know, that sort of unreasonable and unnecessary stress must be kept to a minimum.

After having a couple of years away from dealing with clients, I am ready to dip my toes into the pool, again.

I work as a Mail Order Library Tech. We empty and sort bins of books, Audio books and DVDs first thing. Then we check every thing in. Then we pull orders from our own shelves and then we check everything out. It is Fibromyalgia Hell from 730 to 4pm five days a week. Weekends are for rest and recovery.

HI All, Im new :) I was diagnosed last year with Fibro after years of symptoms mostly chronic pain in knees and sholders and constant fatigue as well as insommnia or waking up feeling like I havent slept. Pain and stiffness wakes up all hours of the night and at work when I sit too long. I work as a Tenancy Manger and also have worked in Real Estate in property management. I take a LOT of sick days... I use them up faster then I earn them, very depressing at times. My current job funding is cut is in July so I will be jobless... I think I will spend some time seeing rheumologist and taking care of my pain management before I commit to full time work again. I really need a break. I just hope I can afford it and then I stress will I find another job in this current market once I feel stronger again (If that ever happens?)

I've just joined the board. At this time, I'm an indie author.

I was diagnosed with fibro about eight year ago, as well as having other comorbidities, and have been going through the process of trying to get disability, which has proven to be some kind of special insanity all by itself. I did telephone customer service for years, but burned out bigtime on it. I just can't deal with it now. That's why writing it so much better.

Apparently, until I turn 50, I'm considered to have "severe impairments", but once I hit the big 5-0 (not Hawaii, sadly), the word "impairments" becomes the word "disabilities".

Stupid, innit?

Thank you all for keeping this thread going. It is a nice thing to read about what others face daily in trying to work with fibro. It is sad to that so many of you suffer in pain during your hours on the job. If your looking for ideas for work read my blog day 7. This place is a trustworthy site that helped me find writing jobs, but they have many other things and ideas for home work on site. I always enjoy sharing something that is free and costs nothing to apply, because no one should ever pay someone else for a job. Remember they pay you to work, not the other way around. Anyways please keep sharing and try to have more good days then bad ones. :)

I'm so glad to here someone else feels this SAME way! I can work from my computer too (I mean, I don't have a job doing it, but I play games on my computer to keep myself entertained - TV hurts my ears). But, I too sometimes feel like I can't even lift my arm the little bit just to type! I find myself switching hands and stuff...the very muscles in my hands, wrists & arms are SOOO weak. Try explaining that to people, they think it's whacked. Good thing for a forum where others understand, eh?

Even if it's less money, I think working from your own place is the answer. You could be a freelancer or you could do projects that don't require your presence at the office, of course your boss should be very understanding.

I avoid doing a lot of work standing and try to minimize bending too. If i sit for tool long I also end up with swollen feet and painful knees. Though am a stay home mum, a sit a lot since I work online so I make sure my legs and back are supported properly.

@ SueMC....Did you tell your boss about your Fibro from day one? I am hesitant to share this info when I'm interviewing for a new job.
Thanks!

I am working. But I am fortunate to be self employed. This gives me a good deal of flexibility for the most part. I also am lucky in that much (but not all) of my work can be done from home. It makes such a difference.

I am an instructional aide looking for a teaching job. Right now I work with children with severe multiple disabilities. I love it, and they don't drain me nearly as much as the people I work with, who have little patience and understanding for disabilities. But, sometimes I wonder how I will be able to continue to work- I get so nervous that I will not be able to handle it because of my brain fog, which is worse than the pain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back