Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
08/2017
Country
US
State
Missouri
TLDR; I've gone from sleeping 16-22 hours per day to sleeping only 3 hours and feeling super wide awake and active since taking Gabapentin. Anyone else experience this side effect?

So I've been on Gabapentin 300mg 4x daily (1@breakfast, 1@lunch, 2@bedtime) to treat fibromyalgia for almost a year now. I haven't really talked to anyone about this, but I'm curious now.

I'm REALLY bad about taking meds regularly. Like, on average I remember to take 2 of my 4 pills per day. Which is enough to make my pain mostly unnoticeable as long as no one touches my lower back or the general area of my ribcage (which are the worst areas for me). But two is enough to get my muscle spasms down to only a couple a week, and to take away the feeling of my skin being bruised (off topic, when I first started the meds I thought something was wrong because I 'couldn't feel my skin'. I panicked telling my husband that it felt like I'd had an epidural on the outer layer of my skin--I could still feel the pressure but I couldn't feel anything else. My husband was so confused. It took about a week for me to notice a random bruise and press on it.... at which point I showed my husband, and he explained that it was not normal for skin to feel like a bruise all the time).

Moving on. Without Gabapentin I typically sleep between 16 and 22 hours per day.

When I remember to take my double dose at night, I wake up SUPER early. Like, I might get about 3-4 hours before I'm up. And I wake up feeling like I accidentally took my adderall twice or something. (I also have ADHD but I stopped taking my Adderall ages ago because 1. I didn't like the dependency 2. if I didn't take it I was irritable 3. I'm already antisocial and it made that way worse and 4. the Gabapentin seems more effective on fixing my focus issues anyways--still pretty spazzy though.) Like last night I went to bed at 11:30pm. I woke back up at about 3:15am and I feel like I want to go for a jog. And I stay wide awake for a good 12-18 hours, and don't experience ANY considerable fatigue over the next 20 hours or so.

Everyone else talks about how tired and drowsy it makes them. The only negative side effect it seems to have on me is that, when I take it during the day, I get kind of spazzy/ditzy/forgetful for maybe 30 minutes to an hour after it kicks in.

Anyone else have this insane reaction to it? Specifically the wide awake part.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back