Not open for further replies.

Little Bev

Diagnosis
08/2013
Country
US
State
FL
Hi. About a month ago I noticed a patch of hair missing from the nape of my neck. It was easy to spot as I have short hair. I went to my Primary care Dr and he thought it was stress. He looked over my entire scalp and didn't see any infection or inflammation. He even saw hair follicles where it was starting to grow back. So, it is growing back very slowly, but when I was my hair, I have strands of hair coming out. My scalp even burns like my skin does sometimes. I'm wondering if the stress from fibro would cause this. I am now on Cymbalta, which is helping with my anxiety. Has this happened to anyone else? Thanks.

I do not know if it can cause hair loss or not. I am thinking perhaps it could be from a medicine. This depends on what medicines you take. There are various medicines that can result in this.

I just started 30 mg cymbalta once daily almost 2 weeks ago and 200 mg gabapentin 3 times a day for several years now.

Hi. About a month ago I noticed a patch of hair missing from the nape of my neck. It was easy to spot as I have short hair. I went to my Primary care Dr and he thought it was stress. He looked over my entire scalp and didn't see any infection or inflammation. He even saw hair follicles where it was starting to grow back. So, it is growing back very slowly, but when I was my hair, I have strands of hair coming out. My scalp even burns like my skin does sometimes. I'm wondering if the stress from fibro would cause this. I am now on Cymbalta, which is helping with my anxiety. Has this happened to anyone else? Thanks.

Oh my--another source of stress; I may lose my hair:( Nothing yet. I agree it could be medication, not fibro or else we would have a world full of baldies, all in insurmountable pain! This only gets worse when we all find ourselves pregnant, as well.
Just joking; something I do to get thru my day; I realize this is a genuine concern but not a symptom of fibro.:shock:

Some medications can actually cause hair loss. One of my friends lost huge chunks of hair because of a really strong medication she was on (she had a really strong infection). She lost a big part of her hair because of that, but once she was off those meds she recovered it. It took her a while tho. Stress can also trigger hair loss, but not to the point of disappearing a whole patch of hair in such a short period of time.

When you lose hair due stress, you usually see circular patches behind your head. I know because that's what happened to my dad when his mom died. He lost hair in that area.

You should ask the doctor if there is a chance you could be losing hair because of that medication you're taking. I'm sure he'll know for sure. I read Cymbalta comes with a lot potential side effects.

Well, I asked my Rheumy about hair loss due to being on gabapentin for a few years and he said no, that maybe I should see a dermatologist. I also asked about the burning scalp and his nurse said that it could be from the fibro. I have read different articles on the web mentioning hair loss as a symptom of fibro. Not necessarily from fibro itself, but from the stress and worry. My hair is growing back, slowly but surely. My Primry Dr said he thought it was from stress (this was before I was diagnosed). I don't think everyone will have hair loss. As we all know, everyone is different with the symtoms, pain level, etc. BTW, my hair loss is a small patch at the nape of the neck. That is the only place.
I am having a flair up today and guess what? The burning has left my scalp and went back down into my shoulders, chest and arms. Yesterday, I felt pretty good and was able to do some shopping. At the time, I didn't feel as if I over did it, but I guess I did. Maybe I haven't learned my limits yet. So, today is a day of rest.

Your hair loss might indeed be due to both fibro and medications, but some hair loss is natural and normal, on a daily basis.

When I was going through my "natural and alternative treatment" phase my hair was thinner than before chronic pain entered my life. The loss grew worse, over time, as my pain grew worse.

Having my pain managed effectively has made a world of difference and I can see my hair recovering. I have started taking biotin because it is supposed to help hair grow. You might find biotin helps your hair, as well.

Well, I asked my Rheumy about hair loss due to being on gabapentin for a few years and he said no, that maybe I should see a dermatologist. I also asked about the burning scalp and his nurse said that it could be from the fibro. I have read different articles on the web mentioning hair loss as a symptom of fibro. Not necessarily from fibro itself, but from the stress and worry. My hair is growing back, slowly but surely. My Primry Dr said he thought it was from stress (this was before I was diagnosed). I don't think everyone will have hair loss. As we all know, everyone is different with the symtoms, pain level, etc. BTW, my hair loss is a small patch at the nape of the neck. That is the only place.
I am having a flair up today and guess what? The burning has left my scalp and went back down into my shoulders, chest and arms. Yesterday, I felt pretty good and was able to do some shopping. At the time, I didn't feel as if I over did it, but I guess I did. Maybe I haven't learned my limits yet. So, today is a day of rest.

You hairloss seems to be caused by stress, don't worry. Mostly because of the particular zone where this is happening, and also because it's a patch. Same thing happened to my dad, he has all his har back now. Usually when hair loss is caused by stress or worry it takes place around the nape area. I'd not worry too much, I'd start worrying if the new hairs that are growing start falling as well after a couple of months.

Bev... I was wrong about trusting the doctors! I told you that you could ask the doctor about that medication causing hairloss! But yesterday I found out a medication I was taking for regulating my glucose levels can actually cause hairloss! I had asked my doctor if there was a chance this medication could make my hair to fall out... he said NO! But it's been two months since I've been on the treatment and my hair started shedding badly! I investigated on my own yesterday, and yeah... I found a lot posts about people saying this medication I've been taking for two months caused them to lose some hair. I panicked!

What I want to say now is... don't trust what your doctor say about side effects. Investigate a lot before you start taking a medication, most doctors don't know of all the possible side effects a medication can have on you... or might not want to tell you (for whatever reason). I'm never going to trust a doctor so blindly again!

I know for sure that stress alone, regardless of the subject of stress, could harm your hair. When I was still a student, during the weeks in university where we had too much exams and we literally have very little time for rest, I would notice more loose hair on my drain in the shower and also on my pillow. I know I lose a lot of hair during these times of stress.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back