MegGarner

Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
UK
State
United Kingdom
Hi all!

I'm new to this forum so not really sure what I'm doing..

But I was diagnosed a few years ago with ME and more recently Fibro.
I'm only 19 and it's already affecting me, I couldn't move away for uni as I had a bad time of it over summer, I managed to get on to a foundation degree near me, with only 1 a level as I had a lot of time off due to Fibro. I started a new part time job just last week and they've already let me go as it's making me worse. I guess I was looking for a bit of reassurance and advice on what I can do about work? It's so hard with it being a veery misunderstood illness and it's taking a lot out of me. I can't let it affect uni as this is my last option.
Thanks guys!

I'm sorry to hear you are having such a hard time...that sucks . Most people are ignorant about fibro.
Just do what you can that day..if its university right now just focus on that . If work is to much accept that for now. It doesn't mean it will always be that way. Talk to your doctor and see what he/ she recommends.
Are you on any meds? Exercise? Good sleep?
There are days where I can put on the " I'm good " face and people don't know it just makes for a very short day and I pay for it later..
Do what works best for you and the day you are having.

I'm on 25mg amitriptyline, but it isn't doing much for me except helping me sleep then feeling groggy the next day. I do what I can with exercise but pace myself with it. I think I've just been scared of it because I know nobody with it and nobody knows of it so struggle to talk to people.

The more you know about it the better..this site has lots of info and questions..people will ask a question or make a comment and I'm like ya that makes sense or ya I've got that to or it's like that but not the same ..I haven't been on here long but I've learned a lot ..just jump into a topic anything that sounds remotely similar you will be surprised at what you learn, things that you have just kinda ignored are a major problem for others.
Don't lose hope people here are very positive and try to help as much as they can even if its just putting you in their thoughts for the day...

I'm sorry to hear you're so young and already suffering from this! I was a teen when my symptoms started as well, but I wasn't diagnosed until I turned 23 or so. Have you tried with alternative medicine? Acupuncture? natural supplements to aid you with any energy issues? Sometimes lowering your stress levels can help you a lot with your fibro. Changing your diet can also be a great aid, as well as losing weight (in case you've a few extra pounds on you). If that doesn't work... try seeing a different doctor! Some meds don't work for everyone, so you have to find what meds or mix of meds work best for you.

I'm sorry to hear your having a hard time finding work. I too am in a very similar situation. I am 19 as well. I was diagnosed when I was 17. Before the diagnosis, I was working full time and going to school. So I know how frustrating it can be to find a job that it suitable to your illnesses and limitations. I had to stop working when I turned 18 and I am now applying for disability. Thus far that has been my solution. I hope this helps some!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back