Reason
Other
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
CA
I have a question.... I have been insanely tired for the last 1-2 years. I get 7+ hours nightly and I can sleep 12+ hours and still be tired. I have absolutely no desire to do anything other than be curled up on a chair with a book or my iPad. I have pain throughout my body, neck/shoulders, lower back, knees, ankles, elbows, hands, thigh muscles. As far as I know I don't have the tenderness at the trigger points. I saw my doctor last week for the pain thinking it might be hypermobility syndrome and a month ago for a chronic headache. I also saw him in the spring for my fatigue. Last night read about fibromyalgia and that Cymbalta can be a treatment. I've been taking Cymbalta 60 mg for over 3 years now for depression. Not that I want fibromyalgia... but I seem to fit the profile; I'm 45, experiencing perimenopause, suffer depression and anxiety, have a diagnosed of PTSD from past domestic violence, nothing touches the pain or my headache. I just don't have the trigger point pain. So my question is ..... Would the Cymbalta alleviate the trigger point pain? My doctor ordered x-rays on my tender joints and ordered rheumatological blood screenings. Thank you all for any advice, assistance, and/or input you can offer.

I have a question.... I have been insanely tired for the last 1-2 years. I get 7+ hours nightly and I can sleep 12+ hours and still be tired. I have absolutely no desire to do anything other than be curled up on a chair with a book or my iPad. I have pain throughout my body, neck/shoulders, lower back, knees, ankles, elbows, hands, thigh muscles. As far as I know I don't have the tenderness at the trigger points. I saw my doctor last week for the pain thinking it might be hypermobility syndrome and a month ago for a chronic headache. I also saw him in the spring for my fatigue. Last night read about fibromyalgia and that Cymbalta can be a treatment. I've been taking Cymbalta 60 mg for over 3 years now for depression. Not that I want fibromyalgia... but I seem to fit the profile; I'm 45, experiencing perimenopause, suffer depression and anxiety, have a diagnosed of PTSD from past domestic violence, nothing touches the pain or my headache. I just don't have the trigger point pain. So my question is ..... Would the Cymbalta alleviate the trigger point pain? My doctor ordered x-rays on my tender joints and ordered rheumatological blood screenings. Thank you all for any advice, assistance, and/or input you can offer.
Don't know if the medication would reduce the tender points. I'm not a dr. but I try to be as informed as possible and it certainly seems like fibro could be the culprit. Good luck and hope you post often.

Buttercup,
Welcome to the forum. Sounds like you might have fibro. The tests your having done will not prove (in test results) you have fibro, but if the results are negative for any other disease like RA or lupus, or lymes disease, then having fibro may be the answer. It sounds like you have good doctors willing to help you find answers and that makes you very lucky.

Also sometimes when we suffer from depression, we can have all the symptoms of another disease without really having it. The PTSD also carrys along symptoms suggestive of other things. Although you take one medication for depression you might need to try another to help manage the pain your experiencing.

Let us know how you make out and be sure to talk with your doctor about medications and what might work for you. I am glad you found us as we offer friendship and support to all who come here in need of a place to feel accepted no matter what is causing the suffering. I hope you will visit often and read through the different sections and topics to learn new coping skills. :)

Buttercup, so sorry to hear you are in a lot pain and so tired. It's really likely you are suffering from fibro, I mean you fit the profile well, but some symptoms can be linked to your menopause, not the pain tho. I'm not a doctor, but it seems the Cymbalta isn't helping a lot with your pain... so I'd assume it wouldn't affect that trigger point pain, since isn't alleviating the pain the rest of your body. You'd be better off asking this to your doctor.

Buttercup,
Let us know how you make out and be sure to talk with your doctor about medications and what might work for you. I am glad you found us as we offer friendship and support to all who come here in need of a place to feel accepted no matter what is causing the suffering. I hope you will visit often and read through the different sections and topics to learn new coping skills. :)

Thank you :) To all 3 of you. I used a spa gift certificate today to get a massage and while the experience was heavenly at the time the effects were only temporary.

I drink wine a few times a week, 2-3 glasses at a time, and it seems to relax me but I just read it's not a good idea with the Cymbalta. Anyone have any thoughts or personal experience with that?

only a doctor can diagnose you and comment on meds. you should not compare yourself to anyone here as we are all so very different. get into see a doctor as soon as possible.

Denise

I just don't have the trigger point pain. So my question is ..... Would the Cymbalta alleviate the trigger point pain? My doctor ordered x-rays on my tender joints and ordered rheumatological blood screenings. Thank you all for any advice, assistance, and/or input you can offer.

I'm sorry you're having to go through this, Buttercup. :sad: It's really too difficult to say whether or not fibro is causing your issues. Like someone else on this thread said, the depression and/or the PTSD can cause the tiredness and pain as well. We do forget that emotional pain can cause physical pain, but it absolutely does. If I'm not mistaken, some of those symptoms can occur with peri-menopause, too.

That's (of course!) not saying it's not fibro, but rather that it's better your medical people figure out what's going on there... and the blood screenings sound like a perfect start to finding out.

I don't know if Cymbalta would hide trigger point pain, but I'm thinking not. If it would be working that well, I'd think that it would be helping the all-over pain as well.

In any case, I hope you soon find out what it is, and get some relief from it!

Thanks Denise, I will speak to him at my next appointment. I wasn't hoping to get a diagnosed here Just hoping to hear others experiences as they may relate to mine. I'm still trying to understand why I hurt. Like I mentioned before at my last appointment I asked about hypermobility syndrome. At this point I'm grasping at straws. My next blood draw will check for thyroid levels and rheumatological screen. I want to be well armed with good questions :))

I appreciate your reply Mariposa. I understand there are a lot of factors involved, with luck we'll get to the bottom of it soon.

I appreciate your reply Mariposa. I understand there are a lot of factors involved, with luck we'll get to the bottom of it soon.

That's such a great attitude to have... I know that a lot of people delay getting to the bottom of things... but I'd rather find out what's going on and get it over with instead of getting overly anxious about it like I tend to do way too often. :roll:

I hope that today will be one of your easier days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back