Reason
Other
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
CA
State
AB
I am starting to believe that western medicine is not effective for dealing with chronic issues. While I value western medicine for address acute issues very effectively. The approach they take for giving you a pill for a symptom doesn't help for chronic issues. I now strongly believe in most cases chronic issues ultimately stem for the body's health. The question is finding the area of deficit and addressing it.

I think it would be great if we could create polls on the forum so that we can share our experiences and try to identify potential causes as I have my own speculations but want to see it may be same with others here on the forum.

I completely agree. I've found that western medicine is clueless about chronic conditions, and it only treats symptoms instead of root causes. I went through the hospitals at first, and now I'm paying off $5,000 for absolutely zero help at all. In fact, they made me worse by putting me on Cymbalta, which was sooooo bad for me.

I fly out of state regularly to see a naturopathic doctor. His treatments and regimen are working very well. He found all sorts of issues with me that western medicine doctors couldn't see, and he is very sure that my fibro and chronic fatigue are symptoms of those issues. I have digestive organ damage and antibiotic poisoning in my gut. He's addressing those issues, as well as building my whole body up. He's treating me through detox and repair treatments in his clinic, acupuncture, chiropractic, nutrition, herbal and animal based supplements, and exercise. I'm making a lot of progress. I don't feel my fibro much any more, and when I do get a flare it usually is tolerable now. My chronic fatigue was a much bigger issue, and it's healing the slowest. But I am making progress and doing a lot better than I was even 3 months ago. I would go as far as to say my doctor is saving my life. I'm a huge believer in Chinese medicine!

Hi Jade!

I couldn't agree more with you, it actually upsets me how most doctors give you a painkiller whenever you complain about a chronic ache. That kind of approach has never satisfied me and never will. I actually run away from that kind of doctors, because it's my impression they don't care to find out what is really going on, they might not have the interest or knowledge to do so. So when a doctor takes that approach I never see him again.

I always been acquainted with TCM, but it wasn't til recently that I started learning more about it. And I can say that I don't necessary believe everything, but I've become a huge believer of the merits and values of it's approach to health.

Since the Western Medicine is the scientific one, it cannot cure such diseases if it doesn't know a lot about them.

I think in chronic cases, traditional medicine has a better understanding of the problem and it's not so much a case of whether or not it's scientific.

Finding a doctor who can correctly address the issues with the correct treatment is the main issue. With depression as the best example, doctors are so quick to prescribe anti-depressants before prescribing either neurotransmitter precursors, or simply advising on diet and exercise. It can be difficult to persuade them to test for mineral and other hormonal deficiencies at times.

I completely agree! When I was having a lot of GI problems, the gastroenterologist I saw first ran a few tests, and (after finding nothing) prescribed medication to treat acid reflux, which the testing had already ruled out. Needless to say it didn't help (I actually felt worse because of side effects), so I got a second opinion and left with no answers and a prescription for pain killers. When I asked him if they would do anything for the constant bloating, stomach upset and fatigue, he said no, but he wanted to help me "feel better." I told him if he wanted to do that, then the things I just asked about are what needs to br fixed, the pain isn't what's affecting my daily life (this was before I had fibro). He gave me some bs answer and I tried the meds, had a bad reaction, and ended up stopping them. The problem ended up being a gluten intolerance which is much better since I changed my diet, but I'm annoyed that 2 separate gastros didn't even bring up lifestyle changes, just doled out meds.

Finding a doctor who can correctly address the issues with the correct treatment is the main issue. With depression as the best example, doctors are so quick to prescribe anti-depressants before prescribing either neurotransmitter precursors, or simply advising on diet and exercise. It can be difficult to persuade them to test for mineral and other hormonal deficiencies at times.
So true! Diet and exercise do not come from eastern medicine, and they are often all people need to heal. But I believe the western medicine system is broken, where the goal of doctors is to get you to spend money on prescriptions when they know it is possible to improve without the drugs. But, many of us do have conditions where diet and exercise are not enough, and having tried both prescription drugs and eastern therapies at different times,I can very honestly say eastern treatments have helped a lot more.

The thing is for me, that I believe it can stem from one simply thing as like lack of sleep for a long time or nutrition which involved into GI tract problems, pains, this and that. And while the manifestations of those problems are vulnerablities in the body. When you see a western doctor you'll usually get treated for the symptoms that accommodates it usually and sometimes vulnerabilities. But it's extremely rare that they go down to address the real root cause, so what ends up happening to people is that they get this rotation of aliments throughout their life. Maybe one thing goes away or is cured but there seems to be always something else that pops up along the way.

I just read an article this morning that links childhood salmonella poisoning to IBS. It also mentions other childhood conditions that they believe are responsible for other health problems later in life. Here is the link to the article:

Link not allowed on forum.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't always agree with traditional medicine, but in this case, it is better than the Western Medicine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back