Reason
Relative
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
IN
State
NY
Do you have trouble getting off of it? My brother recently was prescribed Vicodin and started taking it like candy . Eventually he had to go to rehab to get off of it.
I know this forum is about fibromyalgia. I have relatives dealing with constant pain though and want to know if pain killers are really the way to go . Or are they a short cut?

I don't think some of the pain killers help. Pain is your body telling you that something is wrong. You would be using pain meds to mask what your body is telling you and also setting yourself up for addiction and all that comes with it (taking more than needed until they don't work any more). It's not worth it for the temporary relief it may provide. Besides it being temporary, It's no fun withdrawing or deal with the cravings forever. Just my opinion.

I agree with lilminks that taking pain pills will lead to addiction and they are only a "mask". Try something non narcotic along with an anti-inflammatory. Better eating habits of course and for me ALWAYS get a full 8 hrs or more sleep.

Meds come with a lot side effects, I think most of us would love to take a pain med that came with no side effects, but sadly no such a thing even exists. If it did, and it worked well for everyone, then we'd all go for it for sure. I'd love to actually, but I know meds can cause so nasty side effects, my pain is at a manageable level, so much I can pretty much ignore it most of the time, but I know in the future it might not be that way. Pain meds aren't the solution, but a lot people need them, I respect that but I also respect those who expect my choice not to take pain meds.

Unfortunately many people that have fibromyalgia have an addictive personality. Having an addictive personality and chronic pain are not a good mix when it comes to pain medications. Fibromyalgia leaves so many of us with no answers and this includes some of the doctors that are treating us. I was prescribed Vicodin approximately five years ago I do not abuse it but I also don't know what I would do without it. Nothing takes away the pain. Taking more pain meds then prescribed does not work either. Their is no cure for Fibro and that in turn means no narcotic will take all the pain away.

People with chronic pain who take pain meds do not become addicted, they become drug dependent. Two separate issues. The problem is that over time your body gets needs more medication to achieve the same level of relief. If you do stop taking them, you will have withdrawal symptoms if you have taken them for a length of time so you need to be monitored. Anti-inflammatory meds do not help fibro pain, but may help an underlying issue like arthritis. Fibro is not caused by inflammation.

I think it's best to start with the least meds you can so you have someplace to go. I take tramadol, a baby opioid type drug for pain along with cymbalta.

I actually broke my foot in 5 different places a couple months ago. Didn't take anything for the pain. Well, twice I took diclofenac tablets but then was prescribed something with less side effects and didn't take it. I was in pain but I just heard bad things about pain medications and its addiction that people go through.

I have not suffered much pain throughout this summer. No matter how hot or humid it has been I have not experienced much joint discomfort. Today, for some reason, I awoke with numbness in my hands, elbow, and ankles. Its strange that my knees have no swelling or pain. I took 4 Advil that were 200 mg each at 7:00 am. Now, I will take two more.
I have not done any strenuous exercising or moving so I do not understand this flare up.

Ultimately some people are more prone to addiction than others. Also their tolerance to pain is different.

I like what you said Wulfman. There is a difference between drug addicted and drug dependent. I am a recovering alcoholic, sober 8 years now, and the doctors seem to put in a category of being "addicted". I never had an issue with pills. Yes, I know the tendencies are there, but when I can't do even minor housework that involves me bending without pain, then what do they expect my life to consist of? I have no problem with drug tests and drug monitoring.

Wulfman, I generally don't take pain killers as a rule and I will admit that I have never taken any medication prescribed to me by my doctor for fibro/chronic pain/ fatigue - since diagnosis ( if only he could read this)! YES, its cost me money over the years as I have to pay for the prescription, however I dont take it has I have researched for five years the side effects and impact on the body whilst on long term medication. I also have never met or read any person suffering with my condition that confirmed that their medication has helped them with their symptoms. However I have read several hundred statements that confirms the medication will have a 'knock on effect' on the body which usually means yet another prescription to eliminate another symptom - How do I cope... I sleep, rest & sleep! Please note, that I am not encouraging anyone to take this approach, it's just that I have no faith in the British Medical system.

Yea I mean recently I broke my foot as I stated. 5 different fractures. I don't have fibromyalgia so I cannot compare the pain but there were certain nights that I could not sleep because of the throbbing and swelling. Also you are restricted in movement with a cast. But I am proud that I did not take any pain medication. Now there is nothing wrong with it, some people need it and again pain can differ greatly. Some people really suffer especially when it is chronic. Then even I would take pills. If I had to live with back pain or neck pain I would most definitely take pills so I can actually take care of things during the day and not just suffer in bed.

Hi gypsyangel,
I too am a recovering alcoholic and have suffered with fibro since I got sober which was 27 years ago. It would be nice to share with you about what you do and how your drs. deal with both issues. I have been without meds since November as my dr. retired. It has been a nightmare. Any comments would be appreciated.

Hi I'm having problems with my medication and withdraw for several years I was taking dihydrocodine contius 120 mg after long term use I was suffering many side affects so my gp has switched me over to tramadol but the withdrawal is terrible I'm I'll every morning I have never abused the medication but I still has me dependent its a struggle every day at the moment

You can have issues coming off painkillers, because a lot of them can be highly addictive, meaning that patients feel that they're not able to go without them. It is important that if you want to come off them, you don't just do it yourself, because you could find that you do more harm than good. Talk to your doctor, because they will understand the effects of the drugs and how best to get you off them. They will be able to slowly reduce your dose in a way that means you no longer have to worry about of the withdrawal effects. Remember that it isn't just you: a lot of people will go through this, and on the whole they usually manage to come off the medication effectively!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back