Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
CA
State
ON
40ish male, not over wieght and still working

Quick History,

2014 cancer surgery, tumour removed, skin flap, graph.
2015 apporx 18 months later, rapid weakness, vision and muscle fatigue issues
2016 after MS clinic, Neurology, rheumatology, multiple MRI's every known body scan, blood test etc..... Pain....lots of muscle pain started
2017 Sleep apnea of 147 times an hour and a new cpap machine. this brings me to current.

No diagnosis as of yet but Dr's are throwing words like CFS and Fibro around. Gababentin, Celebrex, Nexium as treatments with Oxycodone as PRN and now a cpap machine.

Has anyone had similar situation and has anyone found the cpap machine to cause the pain to increase 10 fold. My arms, shoulders, neck, back, legs are worse then ever.

Hi Wemick,

Welcome to the forum, I'm sorry you're having so much pain.As you know they are not really sure what causes Fibromyalgia to start, but they think it could be from trauma,stress or an infection that invades the body.There might also be a genetic link.Having cancer and surgery are traumatic events that can cause the body's nervous system and immune system to change.So I would say it is possible to develop Fibromyalgia after having multiple traumas.

A lot of times Fibromyalgia and CFS are diagnosed together because they are very similar but CFS is the severely fatigued part, even though one of the symptoms of Fibro is fatigue.The part of C pap causing more pain,I'm not sure.I never heard that.Having difficulty sleeping is definitely one of the symptoms of Fibromyalgia.Its good that you are getting treatment for your sleep apnea, because that will help your body heal.Depriving the body of oxygen isn't a good thing., and hopefullly it helps you sleep better.

Like you said, they haven't diagnosed you yet.Fibromyalgia can have multiple symptoms.And you can read on the forum and see what others are experiencing.Hopefully they will come to a consensus and treat you appropriately. I wish u luck in getting treated.
If you have any questions, we are here to try and help.

Good luck,

Sagey

I agree, Ive never heard of a cpap increasing pain. usually it is the opposite because it helps people rest better. I feel like any traumatic experience can cause fibro. Hang in there and keep working as long as you are able to, once you stop its hard to get moving again. Good luck and keep us posted on your diagnosis.

This is also a topic I often wonder about. I've had 2 neck surgeries and they both failed. Well, technically they did not, the MRI's/Xrays show nothing abnormal, but my pain is worse than before the operation. The incision site alone is still after 4 years extremely painful to the touch, red and a little inflamed. Docs keep telling me 'I am a slow healer, it will all pass'.

But I personally think it is due to fibromyalgia. Simply because fibro does not allow your body to rest even for a second. One is either tired and/or in pain, so it has to be 'active' all the time. Even sleep does not help, so no wonder when some intrusion happens (this could be surgery, chemo, strong meds etc.), the body cannot handle it.

I've never heard of a Cpap causing any problems - I was actually hoping to give it a try too because all I hear about it are positive things (I am on a waiting list for a sleep study, have never woken up feeling refreshed in my life, so I want to know the cause and try everything to fix it. )

For now, I think you have a lot of healing to do, no matter what your diagnosis. Music helps me a lot, so does just 5-10 minutes of walking in nature. Put yourself first, and I hope your healing starts soon.

My dad use cpap machine for many years now , from what I know up to now nobody ever experienced any straight physical effect from it. But, and this is just an assumption , maybe if you have ever suffer from some kind of ptsd, anxiety , or even panic do to your sleep apnea before you start using cpap machine, during your using of the machine you might experiencing some symptoms causing by the ptsd / anxiety / panic it self not the machine. Which including all of the fear , worries about getting another apnea and stress all together without you even realizing it. Because those things can only run in your subconscious mind. So even when you know you have the machine helping you, your subconcious mind doesn't think that yet. By those stress alone you will already feel most of the unexplain pains signal running through your body. And if you do have fibro you will absolutly expanding the pains that much more after you waken up or during sleep. Of all the sleep disorder I haven't yet experiencing apnea and not yet narcoleptic ( cross my fingers) but everything else I had and still going which always been very intense, when I go to sleep anytime without fully or completely relaxing my mind the ptsd from my previous sleep disturbances or other scary vivid dream can come to play causing me to hype up all other pains up close to 10 fold after waking up the next day . I'm not saying that you are but that's just my assumption.

Well, i have the answer for why the pain got worse. Turns out during the night my oxygen would drop as low as 57. When the cpap came into my life there is now oxygen getting to muscles that have not seen it for a long time. They estimated 1 month for all the blood vessels to reopen and the pain to reduce. I can say that I am doing better now then before. CPAP has helped a lot. Hard to stick with it but glad i did. I also started CoQ10 and magnesium. This could be helping as well.

Well, i have the answer for why the pain got worse. Turns out during the night my oxygen would drop as low as 57. When the cpap came into my life there is now oxygen getting to muscles that have not seen it for a long time. They estimated 1 month for all the blood vessels to reopen and the pain to reduce. I can say that I am doing better now then before. CPAP has helped a lot. Hard to stick with it but glad i did. I also started CoQ10 and magnesium. This could be helping as well.

That's fantastic news!! , I'm glad it's nothing to be worry about. I remember my dad's doctor did say that it takes time to adjust his body to it so we were inform about it before started using .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back