Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
CA
State
AB
I have just joined the forum, and from what I have seen so far, I am very grateful for all the support and information provided here.

I have not been diagnosed with fibromyalgia, but am quite certain I have it, and probably have for most of my life, it's just getting worse.

As a little background, I have struggled with depression since I was a teenager, but never took any meds for it until I was 32 and had just had my second child. I've taken many different meds since then, but always go back to the Prozac. At one point, I had tried Cymbalta, and although it was for the depression, it helped alleviate my fibro symptoms immensely. Unfortunately, the heavy side effects just weren't worth it for me.

I had one doctor for several years who just kind of brushed it all off. He didn't even really believe I had depression until he saw me with no meds. Finally one day when I was having a particularly hard few days and mentioned I thought I have fibro, he told me that there was no chance I had it; that if I did, it would be my husband sitting there talking to him, not me, because I wouldn't be able to get out of bed. I know that's nonsense; I would LOVE to not get out of bed every day, and most days it takes everything I have to make myself. But my family depends on me, so I do what I have to do, just like everyone else.

Needless to say, I changed doctors. The one I have now is so far really great. He is at least trying to deal with all of my issues. He sent me for a sleep study, which determined I have mild sleep apnea with severe obstruction. He also sent me for a psychological evaluation that diagnosed me as Bipolar II with extreme depression. Not something to normally be happy about, but FINALLY, at 42, having an idea of what is actually wrong with you & finding ways to manage it has been a huge help.

As it stands now, my doctor wants to make sure I am well adjusted to my mood stabilizers and depression meds before dealing with the possibility of having fibromyalgia, so it really hasn't been discussed with him.

I have done my research though, and I dare say there isn't really a symptom I DON'T have. I have a massage therapist I see every week to keep my muscles somewhat loosened and to control the migraines. After the first year of seeing her, she told me I finally didn't feel like a slab of cement to work on. Although, if I miss a week, I pretty much go back to square one. She also thinks I have fibro. For the 'bad' doctor, she had even done up a diagram of the body showing all my problem areas, colored for easy visibility to the muscle groups, and a complete write up explaining it all. He didn't even really look at it; just said, "This doesn't explain anything" and shoved it in my folder. I had also done a fibromyalgia "test" to mark off what symptoms I have. He didn't look at that either. I'm curious to see if they are even still in my medical chart when I discuss it with my current doctor. :?:

Anyway, I hope that wasn't too long and/or boring. I joined because I am quite interested in seeing what symptoms others have, and ways they manage to cope with them. But I am really impressed & love all the support given here. <3

Take care out there!

Welcome to this forum,
My MT was also the first professional to suspect I had fibro. It was a very long road to finally get the diagnosis. It probably started with 2 parathyroid surgeries to remove large growths. Then the thyroid itself went ballistic and nearly killed me. After that things just snowballed but I kept going, telling myself to quit being a baby and get tough. I have spinal fusion in a few places that war with the muscles, had my kidney peel off my back that had to be tacked back on,that took a few surgeries and "procedures". Started taking female bio-identical hormones for those symptoms, 3 surgeries last year, and finally peeled back the layers to find fibro. Only took 8 years, several doctors and mind-blowing stress.

My symptoms will not be exactly like yours or others, but here goes; Mornings are usually the worst part of an average day with stiffness, pain in the back, neck and legs. After a couple hours much of this eases up and I can begin my day. Brain fog is no longer a constant since I went off Cymbalta, but I have a hard time finding the correct words. I love words, language, creative writing, but now, it is so difficult. I could sleep 20 hrs a day if I didn't get so stiff but I sure would like to try--but I don't. Depression comes with the elevated pain.

The worst fibro related pain is my legs and it can progress up my back, into shoulders and head. At last I'm on Savella that helps that--so far. Otherwise it feels like someone lit my legs on fire plus bad aching- feels like trying to move concrete instead of legs.

I don't think the migraines are related to the fibro as I've had them since I was 5 years old, also my back has to be constantly treated with chiro adjustment and massage. Now I'm getting neural prolo-therapy injections, they are helping the back, neck and head pain. and am on a drug patch. Also am on a sleeping pill as without it I can stay awake round the painful clock.

As to dealing with it, the diagnosis was hard to hear. Although I finally had a name for it, the" chronic" was not what I had planned for this season of my life, It took awhile to get my head right with God over this. As I said, I'm on a couple different Rxs; Savella, and hydrocodone for "breakthrough " pain. I changed my diet to include much more fresh, organic vegs and fruit, drink much more water, stay away from artificial sweeteners and dyes (in food) and limit the gluten, although I don't think I'm gluten sensitive. I don't drink alcohol anyway so that was not a factor,(mixing with drugs)

There are days I cancel everything as I just can't deal with it. I had to tell my daughter just today that I could not baby sit for her--how I hate that- but I had a long day and knew I'd push beyond my limit. Ah, PACING so important! Getting to bed on a schedule, exercising gently; for me, an exercise bike and walking. I live too far from town for water therapy, etc.( I had to give up my horses because of my kidney)

Well, this seems long but that was the short version. Hope there is something in here that can help you.

Thank you so much for the welcome! I guess in my first post it would've been good to explain my symptoms & how it affects me. So here goes.

Mornings I am quite stiff, but quite often I manage to loosen up fairly quickly. If I hurt right away in the morning, I know it won't be a good day. The muscle pain & tension is always there, especially in the upper back, shoulders & neck, and lately my arms. I have most, if not all, of the trigger points. But I would say my worst symptom (at least the one that bothers me most) is the feeling of constantly having the flu, with the massive body aches, extreme weakness, and sometimes the chills. On a bad day, by supper time, if I get a chance to sit, I think, "I can't even move my finger, it's just too much effort." And I will get a hot face, where it feels like it's burning from the inside out.

As for sleep, I do not have trouble sleeping, but good, restful sleep is another story entirely. I could nap every day, and all day if I'm having a particularly bad stretch. I can identify with the brain fog too. I have difficulty keeping focus, and I have problems finding simple words or names frequently.

Having depression already, I can get even worse if the pain is bad enough for a long time. I occasionally get "breaks" from the worst of it, but some is just constant.

I hope that explains a little better how it feels for me. I would appreciate some opinions on whether any of you think I do have fibro, or if it is something else?

Welcome to the family. Xxxx Id write more but I got a over tired two year old atm .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back