Reason
Undiagnosed
Diagnosis
09/2014
Country
US
State
wa.
last night while getting ready to climb in between my grandchildren to watch a movie I said" ok you guys need to move over and make some room for na na" The youngest 6 yr old said " Na Na how come your so fat? Did you eat to much candy?." My heart dropped, my heart said to itself, ok thats it !enough is enough. For many of us weight gain is a thorn in our side, but in my heart of heartsI KNOW the cravings for carbs and sugars have not been my friend. Its so much easyier for fast food. Exspecially when one is worn out. Does anyone else have some good recipes easy to put together?

Yes, out of the mouths of babes, eh...

I've lost a little bit of weight in the past by writing down everything I put in my mouth then looking at the list with horror! If you get a calorie counter and modify that list by taking out the high calorie ones it's a good start. 1200cals a day gave me a very slow but steady weight loss.

I read a book on sugar addiction and that also was a good motivator. It explained how sugar increases your appetite. Carbs convert to sugar etc.

As for recipes, it depends on your taste. I don't enjoy cooking but steamed vegetables are easy....20mins. Stir-fry veg with 1/2 cup brown rice is another one. Poached breast of chicken with steamed veg works because you can keep the chicken to have with salads etc. You can put your favourite chopped fresh herbs on just about any meat, salad or veg. Keep it simple is the key.

Now you've got me motivated again!
Good luck.

I had one good week, where I prepared veggies ahead of time store in the frig and easy to put together recipies. But sence then I havent had the energy or time to GO to the store.
I definitly know what I need to do, doing it is half the battle. Im telling you its like a drug!,, the cravings for sugar and carbs..

I posted lots of easy and quick yummy healthy recipes on this site under the title cooking with fibromyalgia . If you clicking search on the top right you will find it. ;-)

Agave nectar can stop your refine sugar craving and it taste even better than sugar cause it's not artificial. If you like honey try chewing on honey comb it's so sweet and so good for you. If you worry about wax just spit it out after the flavor all gone at the end.

Baking sweet bean cake with agave and coconut oil is fantastic. I'm no way vegan or would ever be , but like really like the raw vegan sweet recipes. Like no bake avocado cheese cake. Using just blending dates,walnuts,coconut oil and unsweet chocolate powder, packing them as the pie crust. Then blending fresh avocados, a pinch of mineral salt , big scoop of coconut oil , lime juice , and agave nectar together . pouring on your pie crust earlier and put in the fridge for 4 hours . Then enjoy :smile:

Sweet fruits and sweet vegetable is sweeter when you cook them and can help you lower your sugar craving during day. And eat fermenting food can help your gut processing sugar better.

If your sugar craving comes from fatigue or migraine cause I know I do , the craving might feel quite severe epecially migraine cause migraine need sugar to lower the pains . Some people replace it with the supplement product under the medical name de-ribose ( it's not brand name of the product , it's a medical name) you can look it up online. It's different type of sugar , not the sugar that you eat so it's the sugar product in human body that will lower your blood sugar. So if you have diabatic then this one is not for you.

When my stomach growling for unheathy sweet or crabs , sometime I take pepto bismol. It just tricking my stomach and brain to change the perspective.

Last edited:
Hi Moe i did a long post many months ago about how i lost over 14lbs in about 4 months. I had crept up to 140 lbs and like Peaceandquiet i stuck to 1200 calories a day and wrote down absolutely everything i ate and drank and worked out the calories.

Luckily i had dieted before after pregnancy and pretty much know the calories of things...even include the milk in tea or coffee...about 50 calories per mug for semi skimmed.

I also stick to simple lean protein with lots of veg....make a cheats gravy from granules for flavour but not too much or i love mint sauce on veg so this rings the changes for flavouring.

A baked potato thrown in the oven and top with tinned tuna or chicken or low fat cottage cheese and huge plate of salad and low calorie dressing for flavour.

Breakfast you can have scrambled eggs with wholemeal toast but skip what i call wasted calories like the butter....or porridge made with water and sweeteners not sugar.

There is a natural sweetener now made from stevia leaves that's a healthy alternative to sugar and calorie free. Its not bad for you like aspartame.

Another filling breakfast is heat a small amount of low calorie spray oil ( we have this in UK 1 calorie per squirt) fry
as many mushrooms and tomatoes as you like ..both so low in calories then fry an egg serve on a slice of wholemeal toast.

Then for my other meal there's always a salad sandwich with lean chicken or ham or pitta bread packed the same...or soup and a wholemeal roll...lol sadly no butter again but spread the bread with low calorie mayo or salad dressing if you need something on it.

If your not up to cooking much while not great long term you can buy good quality low calorie supermarket ready meals for people counting calories and just add tons of veg to fill you up rather than carbs.

My little secret weapon to curb sweet cravings was to make a pint of low calorie jelly ( jello i think you call it) each day and keep it on the fridge. The whole pint only has 36 calories and you can have a couple of bowls a day for only 18 calories each! add some fresh or canned fruit in juice...not syrup for a treat.

Low calorie yoghurts or natural probiotic yoghurt with squeeze of runny honey or small teaspoon lemon curd also make a low calorie sweet treat.

You can keep sugar free mints if you get a craving to eat something and my other secret weapon for sweet cravings is low calorie hot chocolate. Only 40 calories per mug and fills you up.

Really once you get into the swing its becomes a routine. My weight loss wasn't fast either about 4lbs a month because im so inactive but it does work.

Maybe none of these foods appeals to you but you can adapt and browse the supermarket ( online if that helps) for things that are lower in calories that are tasty to you.

Good luck. Sorry if this is long i just wanted to pass on my tips to make it easier.

Last edited:
Simple...my middle name. Have you heard K.I.S.S. ? Keep it simple stuiped.

Thank you!,,
I do have cravings for spices and fresh vegies. I started wathing a cooking show, one of the recipies used lemon or lime at the end of cooking say aspearaguss. sp? I keep boiled egges in the frig for a quick meal. Great now im hungry for a salad. lol cheers!

Diamond is right. If you looking for convenient. There're lots of heathy food with counting calories onthe lables in supermarket you can buy. Many sugar free stuff that sweet but delicious , those weight watcher ice cream are delicious! :) There's a lot of low to no carbs pasta, and many way to use vegetables to replace it.

I'm a bread/pie addict and love all chocolate . But I only let my self eat a little of that when I'm not hungry. If I'm hungry I'll stuff my self with very heathy food first till I'm full then have some sweet as rewards. I've been training my stomach for a few years now to have different type of craving. I still like a piece of pie but It's much smaller size and desires less sweet than I used it.

If you expanding your horizon and try more new healthy stuff and products in the market everyday , your brain will have more choices to choose. like an update program for your craving choice selections. It's not only the will power that you need, you need more variety of healthy food samples out there.

My diet is actually very repetitive...like a range of regular but fairly healthy foods i know i can manage to make or cook easily with very little preparation.

But i do have days where its all too much trouble and effort....then i eat a bowl of cereal or what ever is just grab and eat. Those days i couldn't care less about what it is so long as I'm not hungry. A piece of toast and a cup of tea will do just fine.

I have PCOS and I crave carbs like mad. It goes away when I take the metformin (not for diabetes for PCOS)

However metformin are horse pills and I have to take like 4 a day. I have soo much of an issue with that. It's also really bad on your digestive system to take them on an empty stomach. I hear bad things happen.

However that makes it *really* hard for me to lose weight. Both the manner of PCOS and the cravings.

Ok I need to start trying to take the pills again. You guys are reminding me of all the things I need to do today. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back