shalvorson82512

Diagnosis
08/2013
Country
US
State
South Dakota
Hi,

I was diagnosed with the "F word" on Monday as I was dreading would happen when I went in for a consult with the rheumatologist. I am only 27 years old and have been dealing with chronic pain on a daily basis for 8 months now and have had chronic pain issues for years. I knew it was going to happen eventually, but I am still having a hard time coming to terms with a diagnosis/pain condition that will be with me for the rest of my life.

I have had interstitial cystitis since 2006, migraines since I was a child, and I feel like the fatigue started after I had Mono in high school.

The worst thing I deal with is the chronic pain, it always seems to be changing location so I always thought there was something diagnostically wrong with me. I am always at the doctor's office. They never find anything wrong with me on a lab, xray, ct, etc. It has been so frustrating! I am exhausted all the time. I thought some weekends I was just depressed, I guess it makes sense now with a condition like fibromyalgia that I am tired all the time.

What have you guys found helpful in coping? My doctor wants me to make sure I am getting regular rest and on a gentle but regular exercise regimen. I am trying lyrica, but I am wary of the side effects. I was already on cymbalta, it helps for depression, but not pain. Any natural therapies or supplements?

I was also diagnosed on Monday by my Rheumatologist. I have not started treatment yet as my primary care Dr is still waiting on the Rheumatologist report. Hoping to see him next week and start treatment. Honestly I'm afraid after reading all of the side effects. I have worked hard the last year and a half to lose weight and get into shape and i read about weight gain. Ugh.

I am still in a lot of pain everywhere. My elbows and hips are the worst right now and i am pretty weak. It is painful to lift my coffee cup.

I am trying things to help. I am a runner and my running has certainly suffered with this flare. The Dr encouraged me to keep it up and just slow my pace or lower mileage as needed. He said if I can keep active I will be ahead of the game. I know it makes me feel better so i push myself to do it even when I don't want to. I have never regretted doing it.

For running I have a Foam Roller for working out knots in muscles. It is so very painful to do but I feel better after. I try to use it twice a day. Not sure if they would help everyone with Fibro but despite wanting to cry when i use it I notice less pain after.

My husband purchased a hot tub hoping it would help my pain and his back. We have only had it a few days but I have been able to get more sleep and have less pain at night since getting in for about 20 min each night before bed. I know not everyone has access but trying a hot bath before bed might also be helpful.

Good luck.

I am also afraid of the side effects of the medication. I started lyrica 3 days ago. The side effect sound similar to gabapentin which I have been on before. The side effect I disliked most of that was the mental fogginess in the day time. I'm already tired enough throughout the day already! I also fear weight gain as I too recently got to a weight I am comfortable with and I don't want to go back to where I was. I think getting back to exercise will help me maintain though. On the lyrica drug information sheet it says to watch what you eat so maybe keeping a food diary would help (it could help in other ways as well by helping us find triggers).

I have heard of people using foam rollers to work out knots, where would I find one? You have a great husband who would purchase a hot tub to help you out with your pain! I have a deeper tub I use when needed or the fitness center hot tub.

I am just getting back into exercising after 8 months of not having my regular exercise routine. I stopped in January when I started having pelvic pain (of unknown origin) and became very lethargic and depressed for about a month. I never seemed to regain my energy.

I hope they find some help for you.

I am also afraid of the side effects of the medication. I started lyrica 3 days ago. The side effect sound similar to gabapentin which I have been on before. The side effect I disliked most of that was the mental fogginess in the day time. I'm already tired enough throughout the day already! I also fear weight gain as I too recently got to a weight I am comfortable with and I don't want to go back to where I was. I think getting back to exercise will help me maintain though. On the lyrica drug information sheet it says to watch what you eat so maybe keeping a food diary would help (it could help in other ways as well by helping us find triggers).

I have heard of people using foam rollers to work out knots, where would I find one? You have a great husband who would purchase a hot tub to help you out with your pain! I have a deeper tub I use when needed or the fitness center hot tub.

I am just getting back into exercising after 8 months of not having my regular exercise routine. I stopped in January when I started having pelvic pain (of unknown origin) and became very lethargic and depressed for about a month. I never seemed to regain my energy.

I hope they find some help for you.

I ordered my foam roller on Amazon. It is a 18'' solid (some have bumps) you can buy them at Marshall's, sporting good stores and possibly Walmart. YouTube has lots of videos. Most important is to never roll over a joint.

The hot tub has been a Godsend. It is an older one that has been refurbished and he got a great deal. No way we could afford a new one. It's the only time I don't have pain and I have been finally able to sleep.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back