Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
70/2010
Country
UK
State
Hertfordshire
Well now I can't move so well,ive resized myself to being over weight.
I can't lose it so I'm going to try to come to terms with it.
Both me and my dad have a problem of never felling full for long.i don't eat,very much anymore but I feel hungry a lot ,
My dad is a hard worker but he simply never feels full.
I no pills do a lot.
But I've seen a lot of over weight women look bloody good,I only,carry my weight on my tummy really.
And with some many cloth shops carrying bigger sizes I'm going to try to stop feeling guilty about my body and try to love it.after all we only hate being fatter because ppl think it's wrong.and un heathy.well I no a lot,of very skinny women who are a lot more unhealthy then me.

We all do the best we can. Large size is one of the last accepted prejudices there is.

Very true - everyone should be able to feel good about themselves as they are right now.

I think I have come to that same realization. I cannot lose the 40 pounds I have put on since taking Lyrica (for one month) and now Neurontin. I try too dress nice when I go out. I just went back to work after a year (cannot take the long wait to get disability). I accepted a position with the middle school as a detention monitor and aid in two of the study halls. It is a little over five hours a day. I hope I can manage it, anyway back on the subject. I had to go shopping for clothes to wear and found there are a lot of nice things for us bigger people. We don't need to waste our energy on something that we cannot change because we need it for everything else! Gentle hugs.

I understand. I was 128 lbs 4 years ago and have gained a lot of weight since then, 50 lbs at the beginning of this year due to being on prednisone for 3 months. Now I'm in pre-diabetes thanks to the long-term Pred use and family history (mom & sister passed due to diabetic complications). Pre-diabetes means insulin resistance which means... nearly impossible to lose weight. :/ The weight came on fast and furious and makes my body stiff, painful, you name it. I've recently decided I need to get something for this fibro pain, and I'm praying it won't be something that makes me gain even more. My health is already in trouble. Like pain isn't enough.. we get to deal with overweight and discrimination/bias/cruelty. **hugs**

Don't know if you have tried this but it may be helpful to other people reading. I used to count my calories / starve myself and could lose only 1 pound in three weeks. I basically gave up on trying to lose weight. It was so frustrating.

Well then the fibro kicked in and I found sugar worsened my symptoms. I cut sugar and white carbs and was able to lose weight. Really hard to make the change but once you do it, it's not so bad. I now just eat multigrains in lieu of bread, pasta, rice, etc. It makes you feel fuller faster so you eat less.

I think I have come to that same realization. I cannot lose the 40 pounds I have put on since taking Lyrica (for one month) and now Neurontin. I try too dress nice when I go out. I just went back to work after a year (cannot take the long wait to get disability). I accepted a position with the middle school as a detention monitor and aid in two of the study halls. It is a little over five hours a day. I hope I can manage it, anyway back on the subject. I had to go shopping for clothes to wear and found there are a lot of nice things for us bigger people. We don't need to waste our energy on something that we cannot change because we need it for everything else! Gentle hugs.

I gained weight when I went on Cymbalta for fibro and then again when the neurologist added Neurontin. Yikes! I did not expect to gain so much weight and I feel so uncomfortable in my own skin. I had been relatively thin my entire life, but not anymore. It's difficult. I'm trying to accept where I am at, but the truth is I am so freaking uncomfortable all the time. :(

I have lost about 45 pounds and kept it off for nearly a decade. I didn't do it by trying to lose weight. It happened because I was trying to be healthy. I am still at the lower end of obese, and most people who look at me would probably judge me as a failure at losing weight. I've decided that I will not care about that. I just try to stay focused on eating healthy and exercising.

Thing is Ive found ,i can hardly eat at all lately .i can't eat a whole dinner.so the weight gain does my head in.im talking about some chicken veg and four small new potatoes.i could scream

Well I wrote a long post but my browser crashed haha. I guess here is my TLDR:

Cutting out soda and bread really helped me lose weight when I was younger- you replace soda with seltzer water (no corn syrup, no sugar, plain!) and bread with well nothing. Walking is good for weight management, but not loss I have found. For some walking helps pain and or depression, for me it doesn't help those.

Aside from that- Psych meds made me gain weight, like 50-60+ pounds in maybe 3 months time or less. Going off said meds stopped me gaining much weight so rapidly, but also did not help me lose anything**. I am basically stuck at that weight now because ME/CFS prevents me from being able to exercise without being severely immobilized. I have tried to compensate with my diet via portion control and very gentle calorie watching, and substituting white bread for whole grain if I eat it.

One thing I have found is if I don't let myself have a little sugar when I want it I tend to binge on sugar at some point or don't carefully watch myself with it... So I have come up with a solution of having a little sugar/sweet calories each day- popscicles are my go to. Rather have a known when I want, then an unknown at some point that's overboard.

If I get a chance to recover from ME/CFS at some point I would like to try floor ballet/ballet barre, I have heard it doesn't make you lose weight but it can reshape your body so you look thin because of all the muscle toning, then maybe more doctors would take me seriously, and if they don't I can arm wrestle them until they do. :]

** I do not advocate going off meds without talking to a doctor, if the meds are helping you but causing weight gain they can try different things first, my meds stopped helping and started to give me bad side effects, so I didn't feel I lost anything.

For clothes and some interesting view points, you might want to look into the "health at every size" movement.

I hear you. I'm just trying not to gain more weight now, but I'm definitely in the upper overweight range of those annoying doctor's charts. I know my tummy weight is apparently the worst place to have extra weight, health-wise, but sometimes, there are bigger fish to fry. Some people just eat emotionally. I fight eating emotionally through the pain and the soreness, something most people will never understand! So yes, sometimes a buffet happens. Once in a while, a donut does too. Just as long as I don't gain, mainly because buying new clothes is a pain in the everything, I'm content! Maybe if some medical breakthrough happens, I will run myself skinny. Until then, I will not be hard on myself.

Cutting out soda and bread is really good advice - most of us eat too much refined grains. I did the fizzy water replacement thing too; now I like it more than soda.

I find it helps me to focus on eating my fruits and vegetables first, then I can have servings from other food groups. Fruits and vegetables taste better if I eat in season. Reading a website like World's Healthiest Foods can get me excited about eating good food (I'm a little geeky that way).

I try to just stay positive about what I am doing to stay healthy and ignore the intensely negative messages about weight in our culture.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back