Reason
DX FIBRO
Diagnosis
04/2017
Country
US
State
MI
Because the internet views rapid weight loss as a good thing, It's been nearly impossible for me to research anything on this.

Does anyone experience extreme weight fluctuations, more so loss than gain? I always read about how fibro causes your metabolism to slow and you gain weight. This has almost always been the opposite with me.

I lost 8lbs in the last 30 hours. This happens alarmingly often. I'll gain half of it back by tomorrow.

Is this just a me thing?

wow, that is a huge difference in weight in just 30 hours! Have you always been this way, and have you seen a doctor about it? Losing weight so quickly and gaining it back so quickly - well, the society that wants to look like the Kardashians find it great, but in any medical report, you will read that sudden weight loss is almost never a good thing. Also because it is so quick, I am assuming it is most likely 'water' weight. There could be a number of reasons why your body is holding down water - it could be the meds, it could be the balance of minerals and salt vs water you consume, but it could also be something more serious, something to do with your heart and blood vessels.

So if I were you, I'd go see a doctor about it as soon as possible.

On the other hand, in my experience, weight gain is almost impossible to avoid with fibro, the fatigue and the pain are to blame. If you exercised your whole life, you suddenly find yourself not able to do the basic of moves. Or even if you were never really the fit person, you find yourself not being able to do the basics in life - instead of walking up and down the stairs you take the elevator, instead of walking to the shops, you take the car, if you cleaned the house once/twice a week, you now do it in small portions once a week on a good week etc. - simply because you are so exhausted and in pain all the time.

I, however, never heard that fibro came with slow metabolism. It probably is also down to the less exercise we get - the less you exercise, the slower your metabolism, I suppose.

I've always been thin and had a high metabolism. My weight generally fluctuates 3lbs constantly but never anything so extreme. I thought about the water weight, but there was no change to my diet in the last few days that i could think of that would've cause the water weight to drop.

I probably will consult my doctor. Since I still don't know much about fibro despite having it nearly a decade I figured I would see what others have experiences.

I've always heard weight gain is an issue but never weight loss so it had me worried. I've had thyroid tests and all that, but nothing came back abnormal. Hopefully my doctor will have some ideas. It knocked me into a full flare up having the weight drop that fast.

Growing up I had very high metabolism and 105 - 107lb was my very biggest self but after my biggest hospitalized incident I've completely changed. Now I do have quicks ups and down weight problem but it's not from fibromyalgia, it's my water weight problem. Water gain and lost can cause me to lost or gain up to 10 lb in a very short amount of time . I shrink and blow so quickly I have to change clothing size during the day. I might be able to wear size S/M in the morning yet I'm size L/XL at noon. Potassium deficiency was the main cause for my gaining water weight , sodium deficiency happen when I lost lots of water weight, however I have more reason of why I became this way. I'm now swinging between 115-137 Water weight is much more heavier than fat so maybe you're also just experiencing water weight lost . Did you pee a lot during that time? If not then it could be some of your fat cell suddenly die and been digested out which isn't bad , it happen sometimes. The worse case scenario would be that your body start to digested your own self but you would feel very very sick to begin with. Never know with Fibro, but according to me 8 lb in that amount of time is still not a concern. I would be concern if it was 20lb or more. Make sure to eat enough nutritional food and drink plenty of liquids ok? ;) It's always help to mention all your concern to your doctor in your next visit.

Last edited:
Oops ( damn that auto correct!!) I mistakingly said that I would be concern if you lost more than 20lb , when what I meant to say was that I would starting being concern if I lost more than 10lb in 20 hour cause it happened to me before , I was feeling very sick afterward. :-x

I have had this for a long time now, weight can change up to 25 lbs in a week either way. I have seen multiple doctors and they all tell me that it not as uncommon as we think. As long as you keep functioning, eating, drinking, sleeping alright it is nothing to be concerned with, "so they say".... I have been told that if I started having issues with muscle loss or digestive issues to go in right away and see a dr. Hope that helps!

ive never heard anything like this that means you would look 2 whole dress sizes thinner in a week...how do you get clothes that fit? It takes me a month to loos 6 lbs on a strict calorie controlled diet.

how do you get clothes that fit? It takes me a month to loos 6 lbs on a strict calorie controlled diet.

Ahh.. the beauty of the stretching fabric and the one size fit all , I just gain 10 lb yesterday day and lost 6 this morning . I believe that having less trouble with fast swinging up and down in weight is less stress to deal with.

I'm the opposite, I can gain that much in a day but never lose any. My weight has rocketed in the last year. I've gained over 2 & a half stone so far and it's still going up. I was advised at the pain clinic yesterday that this was a common problem with Amitriptyline & also with Gabapentin that I'm due to start. The heavier I am, the more pain I'm in, fibro is such a rollercoaster!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back