Not open for further replies.

Fashay

Diagnosis
02/2012
Country
US
State
NY
I was diagnosed with fibro last year. I take gabapentin which does nothing but take one pain away and I have several other body pains. My doctor ups my dose of gabapentin Evey time I go see him now I'm on 800 mg three times a day . I'm hoping they work :p . I also have lower back pain. I take cyclobenzaprine for the spasams which doesn't help not one bit. The spasams are so bad I can barely walk at times . I think my doctor doesn't want to give me anything else but gabapentin At what point do I have to get some other meds ? I mean come on already I have been suffering for a two years .I also suffer from depression and anxiety . I feel like I can't be me like I used to be. I'm sad and depressed. I really need someone that is in my situation to talk to . I'm tired of telling my family my problems its seems to go in one ear and out the other. It seems like everyone is used to the old me . :-(

I think your doctor might be trying to manage your fibro pain with a drug that will do the less bad damage to your body. Meaning gabapentin has less bad side affects then some of the other meds used for fibro. I think the worse side affect some have had is weight gain from water retenion.
I would be careful though about continuing to up the medication, as it can cause balance and brain fog, and fatigue at higher doses.

Check around the forum under pain management and also in the alternative methods. I used to suffer with bad cramps until I learned that by keeping your legs and feet warm it can reduce the amount of cramps by 75%. Wear socks to bed and throw a extra blanket over your lower legs. Try drinking more water and wearing knee socks for leg support. In the winter when it is really cold wear longjohn thermal pants. They help with warmth and leg support and circulation which can help ward off cramps.

Other members will follow tips, as well as, coping skills for this condition. Please feel free to post more around the forum. Glad your here. :)

Hi, Fashay,

I'm glad you've found a place where you can talk about what you're going through will people who understand. The muscle spasms are a pain, aren't they? I've found that I have to really make sure I'm drinking enough water because even the tiniest bit of dehydration can cause spasms everywhere. I also take a magnesium supplement at night. It helps against the cramps, too.

Hi, Fashay! I am also a new member. I don't have any sage advice, and am also struggling with the depression. I just wanted to welcome you and let you know I care.

I didn't look at it that way about the side affects of other meds. Thank you for the tips I can use all the tips I can get.

I drink plenty of water , yes those spasams are a pain . thank you so much for responding

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back